General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AliceLove
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Charlie's Response

Post by AliceLove »

nickcrab wrote:Didn't bother me at all. Quite happy with it, to be honest. But then, I am a sucker for a happy ending. I don't think that he has any idea that she is a vampire. He knows that she is something... mythical for sure, but he really doesn't want to know any more than that. I imagine that most parents who love their children are willing to overlook a great deal if they know that it will keep their child close and happy. Those are the two things that matter most; that your child is happy and that you can see them when you want to.
Yeah, I totally agree. It's sort of not like Charlie, seeing how he freaked out so much just when Bella and Edward told him they were getting married, but it's kinda nice that everything worked out in the end.

Thanks ilovetwilight!
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

MRK wrote:I may be repeating some thoughts..but here goes...

Bella had an amazing tolerance of unexplainable goings on...why not Charlie? I agree with one of the first posts...parents are blind when it comes to their children. He only wanted Bella to be near, whatever that may mean. There is a part in the stories where Edward tells Bella that Charlie is a lot happier swallowing her lies than he lets on. So I was not shocked or disappointed that he, in the end, did swallow the lies, wanted to know as little as possible and accepted it begrudgingly.

I was very happy to have Charlie in her life :)
I completely agree b/c obviously Bella had to get her ability to accept crazy, supernatural stuff from somewhere
Analisse
Learning to Love Green

Post by Analisse »

I thought he was going to have a heart attack and if he made it through he would then was going to try to kill Edward. Even when Bella responded really well, and Charlie had the same chance, I just didn't see it happening with him too.
I was really happy when responded really well, and not like I thought he would. So I guest that's a good thing, specially for him.
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

I was a little surprised by Charlie's response and a little... not.

I found Breaking Dawn was a lot of ease and very little hardship. You can definitely disagree with that point, but the way it turned out (with a bright red bow wrapped around it) is what I'm referring to.

Renee took the marriage easily and Charlie didn't— however, he really didn't put up too much of a fight. If he was that riled up about marriage, I was thinking he'd be just as freaked over a boy he's known for years turning into a giant beast.

So, when he did not freak out *and* Bella was able to live happily ever after with her father, etc., etc., I was a bit disappointed.
I thought his response was out of character— the easy way out, maybe.

I think that's about it. :D
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

I think there is a very big piece of the puzzle missing when it comes to Charlie's reaction on this point....Bella is no longer living with Charlie, she is married and an adult. How COULD Charlie react?
When he tried to keep her from seeing Edward in New Moon, she threatened to move out, so he knows he can't punish HER in any way. They didn't break any laws, so he can't arrest them...She is there, beautiful, healthy, unhurt...just different.
The only option is really shock...and I think he did act shocked.
Also we didn't really get to see his initial reaction. I think Jake is the only one who got to see that! So, he was already mentally preparing to freak his freak if ya know what I'm sayin'
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I read the part where Charlie visited Bella after she became a vampire again yesterday.

I have this question:
Did Charlie find out that Renesmee was Bella's biological child after Jacob whispered something into his ear?

He did recognize that Renesmee had his curls. And he said something about "lies".

You can go check it out at page 509 and 510 at BD.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I do think that his reaction was weird and strange and he needs to be checked out bu a doctor straight away,
but isn't that sort of the same way bella reacted, i mean instead of freaking over edward was a vampire she accepted it and said it didn't matter,
so i guess we now know where she gets it from
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Also, another thing is that Jacob told Charlie that as long as he was ok with everything Bella and Edward wouldn't have to leave. Charlie loves Bella and everytime she has threatened to leave before it's really hurt him. So, knowing that the only way they can stay is if he's ok with this new change what else was there for him to do other than accept it? He didn't want to lose his only daughter.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

vampirenerd wrote:Also, another thing is that Jacob told Charlie that as long as he was ok with everything Bella and Edward wouldn't have to leave. Charlie loves Bella and everytime she has threatened to leave before it's really hurt him. So, knowing that the only way they can stay is if he's ok with this new change what else was there for him to do other than accept it? He didn't want to lose his only daughter.

Does it means that he knew Bella became a vampire? Or what?
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
SAA
Settled in Forks

Post by SAA »

Forgive me for saying what might have been said, but I think it was pure shock. Not real shock that shuts the body down, but a lessor shock that shields the mind. Charlie loves Bella so much that even though she might have changed, he is just happy to see her in his life. He sees Bella and ignores the rest.