The Science of Twilight

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Here's 2 questions for you all..

Can vampires become intoxicated?

Why do you think vampires need/crave blood?What makes them want blood?
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I have always believed that vampires cannot be intoxicated. My (pretty much baseless :lol: ) theory is that the venom would burn off any alcohol that is present in the blood they drink.

Originally, I was going to say that vampires crave blood because they have none of their own, but that isn't true in the case of newborns who are still burning up their own blood, but are the most blood thirsty of them all...

... although that brings to mind another (baseless...) theory I have on why newborns are so blood thirsty for years. I think it is because when someone has just been turned, although their memories of being human are blurry, they are still too close to the human world to be able to see humans as merely food. But if they go into an uncontrollable blood lust for a few years, they are used to the idea by the time they can control it.... does that make any sense? :?
Last edited by roseaurora on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
BeccalovesEdward
Wandering Through Town

Post by BeccalovesEdward »

roseaurora wrote:although that brings to mind another (baseless...) theory I have on why newborns are so blood thirsty for years. I think it is because when someone has just been turned, although their memories of being human are blurry, they are still too close to the human world to be able to see humans as merely food. But if they go into an uncontrollable blood lust for a few years, they are used to the idea by the time they can control it.... does that make any sense? :?
That is a really interesting theory. It's kind of like a guilt free type of thing. Even though that is a really cool theory, I always thought that New Borns were so much more insatiable with their appetites was because they're so new to their life. When Bella was first changed, she even said her emotions were changing extremely quickly, and one minute the thirst would be scorching her throat and the next she could almost forget about it. Bella was also very well behaved. If it was a New Born without that type of control over their emotions, then their thoughts would continue to go back to their thirst making them thirstier. It's kind of like when you get hungry, and you keep thinking about the hunger and it gets worse and worse.
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

edward's#1fangrrl wrote:umm. wow. i didn't know thge liger/female mule thing. so now we could be theoretically looking at a huma/vamp/werewolf baby?? i wanna see that!!! that raises some interesting questions, like could it become a werewolf, or not? would it be immortal? there are more, i'm sure, but i really can't think right now. :D
I think it would be a bloodsucking werewolf or shapeshifter if you prefer, but also has a beating heart.Get it?

So the baby would be a shapeshifter, drinks blood but still has a beating heart like Renesmee but after a certain age stays immortal. Am I making sense?
ImageImageImage
sheilagh
Settled in Forks

Post by sheilagh »

Hey there! For some reason I could not post a new topic but I can reply to a post. I am going to post my question here and see if I can get it answered. I am currently on chapter 22 of Eclipse and really enjoying it as well as the entire series. But I'm puzzled by something and not sure if it ever gets answered, if I missed something or maybe it's just not that big of a deal and I need to let it go. My question is this, how is a new vampire made versus a vampire killing their victim? Do vampires have the choice to inject their venom into someone to make them a new vampire versus drinking their blood for thirst? For example "All the murders in Seattle" , these victims are the ones that turn into the newborns, right or are these people killed by the newborns? If so do the police actaully see the dead bodies and then later they turn into vampires or are the victims missing people presumed to be murdered, that have turned into vampires and are hanging out in Seattle? Or is it the newborns killing people in Seattle and they don't have venom yet to turn people into vampires. Do you see what I mean? Maybe this is all answered tonight when I finish the book!
BeccalovesEdward
Wandering Through Town

Post by BeccalovesEdward »

sheilagh wrote:Hey there! For some reason I could not post a new topic but I can reply to a post. I am going to post my question here and see if I can get it answered. I am currently on chapter 22 of Eclipse and really enjoying it as well as the entire series. But I'm puzzled by something and not sure if it ever gets answered, if I missed something or maybe it's just not that big of a deal and I need to let it go. My question is this, how is a new vampire made versus a vampire killing their victim? Do vampires have the choice to inject their venom into someone to make them a new vampire versus drinking their blood for thirst? For example "All the murders in Seattle" , these victims are the ones that turn into the newborns, right or are these people killed by the newborns? If so do the police actaully see the dead bodies and then later they turn into vampires or are the victims missing people presumed to be murdered, that have turned into vampires and are hanging out in Seattle? Or is it the newborns killing people in Seattle and they don't have venom yet to turn people into vampires. Do you see what I mean? Maybe this is all answered tonight when I finish the book!
A new vampire is made by venom getting injected into the blood stream. Most vampires are made on purpose, but those who are made on accident were meant to be fed on and the vampire didn't get to finish draining their blood. So, the vampire venom spread throughout the victim's body and turned them into a vampire.
The victims in Seattle were actually killed. The New Borns fed off of the victims in Seattle.
New Borns always have the venom to turn people into vampires. They are just so blood thirsty that they always finish off their kill.
I hope that answers your questions! Have fun finishing Eclipse. I'd love to hear what you thought of it!
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

I don't think all of the people in Seattle were just killed - I think a lot of them were part of the newborns as well.

This is one of the things that made Jasper realise what was going on, so obviously the Seattle situation was a lot about making newborns, with a lot of collatoral damage left behind to show that people were actually killed dead, as opposed to walking dead.

On the subject of renesme and jacob breeding - i think it is a moot point. She is still growing like a human, and Jacob's imprinting has a purpose - to pass on the genes, so there is plenty of reason to expect them to breed.

Leah, IMO, would probably regain this ability later, if she gives up phasing - she'd become human again, without the ability to re-heal, and she would no longer be in stasis.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

When they talk about the victims in Seattle, I believe they're talking about the ones whose names actually appeared in the news. These are definitely people killed, either by accident while trying to create newborns, or to feed the newborns. I don't believe these named victims were part of the newborn army, because then there wouldn't be a body for the police to identify (and thus a name in the paper).
Kyrie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Kyrie »

Chances are you'd find the newborns in some kind of Missing Persons register, though, making them somewhat traceable. Then again, figuring out who in such a register have been sired, and who are genuinely missing - without seeing the newborns beforehand somehow ... Bit of a challenge.
The Sword and the Cross - fanfic in progress.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Kyrie wrote:Chances are you'd find the newborns in some kind of Missing Persons register, though, making them somewhat traceable. Then again, figuring out who in such a register have been sired, and who are genuinely missing - without seeing the newborns beforehand somehow ... Bit of a challenge.
Ah, but the only reason they made the news is because bodies were found- and these were definitely victims. Recall how Edward described it early on in Eclipse: how it was "sloppy" and that they weren't even bothering to hide the victims' bodies properly. Plus, the newborns were just that- new- so a missing persons report would likely not have their names on it yet (or if it did, too late into the story to make much difference).

Besides, the reports (as I recall) never mentioned anything about anyone being missing- just the dead bodies.