Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by Auctorita »

Yes, I am aware of that. Personally, I would be curious to see what conclusions about their relationship, Bella's socialization and such that she reached on her own and then I would discuss these issues with her. Even in the Twilight universe their relationship is not particularly healthy.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i agree. but i think i would not give them to her until she was a certain maturity level, that she could listen to my views on the same thing. because you know if she reads it too young she'll fall for edward and idolize bella and that will be that. which is not necessarily healthy.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
i am curious as to everyone's opinion though, because i was thinking about this. would you let your young daughter read this series?? if so, how young?? would you explain anything about it to her??
Wow! We had this same discussion in my book club (it was the meeting that got me to finally read Twilight in the first place!) I'm fine with both of my daughters -- ages 17 and 13 -- reading it, but ...maybe because I know that neither one of them ever would (my 17 yr old tends to shun anything I'm that into, and the ADHD 13 yr old has the attention span of a gnat.)

One woman in my group was appalled that Bella was lying to Charlie and letting him sneak in her room and spend the night all the time...but I don't really think SM is really condoning that sort of behavior in real life. I maintain that IF, and only IF, either of my girls were to fall in love with a 100 year old, totally harmless vampire, I would let the sneaking-in slide. Nothing immoral was going on, and Bella knew it never would. That would be my only concern with any of my kids having a sleep-over with a boy/girlfriend. Edward spending 8 hours watching Bella toss and turn and talk in her sleep isn't exactly a nerve-wracking, tempting activity. But since there are (of course) no real life Edwards to keep a firm handle on keeping both of their virtues intact, co-ed sleepovers are (of course) out of the question. Even my 13 year old knows that is a foregone conclusion.

In the Twilight Universe, Bella lies to Charlie for extremely good reasons --- reasons that are 100% fictional. I tend to think that the books are for those who can discern the difference between reality and fantasy, and that those who can't discern the difference wouldn't really be interested in The Saga anyway.

In fact, I would love for all 3 of my kids (the idea of my 14 yr old son reading Twilight is too funny to think about) to read the books, just to be able to discuss and debate the merits of the story development, and each characters pros and cons.
I Want to Believe
KaseyHeartEdward

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Well i am not really thinking about kids at the age of 21 lol way too soon!

But i know if i have a daughter i would defintly have her read the Twilight Series. I think i would do this whole big thing about it because of how much the series has helped me and i know i would want it to help her. I would probably have her read it in high school. When she was old enough to truly understand it and get the whole effect of it. Then i would discuss it with her and see what she gets from the series.

I know it is somthing i think about that is one of the reasons i keep all my books is becuase i want my children to experiance them too.

I think if i have a boy and he is into reading then i would have him read Twilight as well.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I agree with holdingoutforjacob that the level of maturity is the most critical factor for exposing children to fantasy. Some children have a firmer grasp on reality than their parents, and some are more mature! In my mind maturity is being able to:
  • understand not only the family rules, but the reasons behind the rules
    accept responsibility for their actions, and
    make goals and discipline themselves to work towards those goals.
A child that grounded will understand that what is okay in a work of fantasy is not necessarily okay in real life.

glstewart, keep the hope alive! My 17-yr-old son started reading Twilight after listening to me read the series to my husband while driving on long trips! Your 14-yr-old may surprise you some day!
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Esme echo wrote:I agree with holdingoutforjacob that the level of maturity is the most critical factor for exposing children to fantasy. Some children have a firmer grasp on reality than their parents, and some are more mature! In my mind maturity is being able to:
  • understand not only the family rules, but the reasons behind the rules
    accept responsibility for their actions, and
    make goals and discipline themselves to work towards those goals.
A child that grounded will understand that what is okay in a work of fantasy is not necessarily okay in real life.
Well-said! And, incidentally, Bella's a great example of someone more mature than her own mother.
Esme echo wrote:glstewart, keep the hope alive! My 17-yr-old son started reading Twilight after listening to me read the series to my husband while driving on long trips! Your 14-yr-old may surprise you some day!
Wow! Very cool. You'll have to let us know what he thinks of them. For that matter, I'd be interested to know your husband's perspective as well.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Precious
Settled in Forks

Post by Precious »

I'm in a debate with another co-worker over this. The movie is coming out in two months and I saw the trailer. It shows that bella has a walkman. Pic below. Did she have a walkman in the book? I don't remember anything about that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24392271@N04/2684638891/
KaseyHeartEdward

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

She had a cd player but that was it. And she only had it at home.

It think they are just bringing a new element to the movie. I mean a lot of us walk around with i-pods and zunes and what nots now. So they are just making it so it is more relatable. i guess.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I have a question about Bella's age. I thought in America, students usually graduate on the year when they're 18. Bella seemed to graduate at the year she turned 19 . Does it means she started school late?
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

American schools have a "cut-off date," that determines whether a child is old enough to start school in the fall. The date varies from district to district, but if Bella's California school had a date of, say, September 4 as the cut-off date, then Bella would not have started first grade until she was already six--nearly seven.

Bella was born 13 Sep 1987. She turned six in 1993--presumably after the school's cut-off date--so she started first grade in 1994 just a few days before her seventh birthday. 1994 + 12 yrs of schooling = 2006 = 19 years old. Does that make sense?

Actually, starting a year later is an advantage in many cases. We started our eldest son a year after his peers; it was the best decision we ever made. On the other hand, I know parents who have suffered along with their child for 12 years because they didn't wait an extra year. So Bella was at a social/emotional/physical advantage in school--being older than most of the other children. (And first to get her driver's license! :D )
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."