Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by moon sidhe »

I don't think it's being manipulative to say that you enjoy someone's company and want to be with them, when in fact you do enjoy their company and want them to be with you. I really don't think she expected or demanded that Jacob stay with her, but she certainly wanted him to.

I don't think Bella was ever able to handle confrontations too well, and she just wanted the people around her to get along. I don't think that her thought process was "I wish these people would stop arguing because that makes me feel guilty." I think it was more, "I love these people and I feel horrible about causing them strife." That was how I interpreted it anyway. Clearly we have very different interpretations of her actions. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

it was manipulative when it was causing him constant pain and she knew he'd do anything for her.

i guess i just feel like if she really didn't want them to fight and wanted everyone to like each other she'd have said something to rosalie about how awful she was being, not ignored it because rose was on her side.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Hmm, I guess my definition of manipulative is someone using deceit to achieve their objectives. I really don't think Bella was ever deceitful with Jacob.

As for Rosalie, I think I'd have to go back and look at Bella's reactions to her during some of those confrontations. From what I remember, her reactions were generally "just get along and stop goading one another," but I'll have to go back and check it out.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Sorry, this is going to be ridiculously long.

From the Edward Cullen thread:
Kachiti wrote: No you don't, if want to waste your time and money its your choice. Besides, Bella did give it some thought, there was the school in Alaska. She had enough for a semester Her plans was become immortal, get over the thirst and then go to school. So yes she was planning on going but due to one of Edward conditions it was going to be Dartmouth and not the University of Alaska. So Bella did care but not in the way that you might consider.
Then you agree, it is a waste of time and money to not put any thought into your studies. If you are attending college for a reason other than just to hang out then you do need to put some thought into it. Sorry, I should have been clearer about this. For what reason does she want to go to college other than to make her parents happy? The thought she put into it was more of an afterthought. Yes, she had other priorities and college wasn't a big concern for her, but it doesn't change the fact that she didn't put much thought into choosing schools. I'm
not implying that she should have (I'm not referring to the college/sex thing in BD, but about her plans in earlier books), I'm just pointing out that she didn't give college much thought.
Auctorita wrote:Also, it isn't wise to make assumptions as to my age considering you don't know me.
Your right I don't but I can make a pretty good educated guess.[/quote]

Even educated guesses can be wrong, which is why you shouldn't treat them like they are fact.
Kachiti wrote:
Auctorita wrote: She had a purpose in mentioning it, but that purpose wasn't to compare Bella to a prostitute.
Then there wasn't any reason other then to irritate.
No, Amivera was pointing out that sex can just be physical in response to this post:
Sex is not just physical, it is emotional and spiritual too! especially when you are with the one you love. And there was so much sexual tension in books 1-3 you could cut it with a knife! It is right for their expression of love to change.
I fail to see how her response was meant to provoke anyone.
onebreath wrote:
Hm, I don’t understand why you are placing so much importance on her decision/choice to go to college (be it state, Ivy League or nothing at all) Does it belittle her worth in some way in your eyes knowing that she may not/won’t have a college education? Just because it is something you or someone else would ‘kill’ to obtain the opportunity for, doesn’t mean it’s right for Bella. I don't see that as being ungrateful. She needs more time to think it over because she's scared. Scared of making a fool of herself in a school she feels is way above her level of intelligence.
Furthermore, I personally do not believe that a college education necessarily dictates a person’s knowledge, worth or intelligence. I have some acquaintances who have never set foot in a college but are some of the most insightful, intelligent and thought-provoking thinkers I know! Not that I am the reincarnate of Einstein or Newton, of course, but you get my point. And I did go to college. :?

ETA:
Having said that, I want to make it clear that I do believe college can offer knowledge and can be a worthwhile experience. I just do not believe that all weight for how a person evolves should be placed on the shoulders of a ‘college education’ because it’s not necessarily the case.
I'm not. I'm stressing the issue of on what grounds she made that decision (in BD). Not in the slightest, college isn't for everyone and there are plenty of people who have become very successful without a college education. I think that her sudden willingness to go to an Ivy League school like Dartmouth in order to be intimate with Edward in BD shows what little regard Bella has for college (and in her case a very prestigious one) or what it can offer. She doesn't want to go, but she decides that she will go to a school that many will never have the chance of attending just to "be with" Edward. She isn't even that interested in the possible human experiences or what she can learn. In my opinion I think it's ungrateful.

onebreath wrote:I also want to say that I don’t believe Bella’s changing thoughts on whether to go to college were based on sex. And sex alone. I think it was only through the experience of having sex with Edward for the first time that she really began to see what he had been saying all along; that she was not fully considering what she was giving up to become immortal. He tried to get her to think about it many times and she simply claimed that she was aware. Well I don’t think it was until that moment that it really rang true. In a way, I think she was saddened by the thought finally reaching her (regarding her human life and what she actually would lose) and that there were, in fact, human experiences that she would miss and ones that she suddenly realized might be worth having as a human afterall. She’d thought about losing Charlie and Renee before but had never considered anything on a personal level for herself. Her intimacy with Edward just opened her eyes to that.

And wait... I’m failing to see why Bella cannot take her time to think about it somemore now that she is immortal? Perhaps after a few years pass, she will discover a desire to broaden her education at a school. Is there a reason she can't decide at a later date? I can’t recall. Did Edward not go through two medical programs while immortal? So why can’t Bella do the same in her study of choice? I mean she has all the time in the world right? Did I miss something here?
Unfortunately, they were. If you read the conversation from pages 102-103 in BD Bella proposes putting off being a vampire and actually going to Dartmouth (instead of using it as a cover) because she wants to continue being intimate with Edward as a human. She didn't actually want to go to college, she just knew that it would make her parents happy. She didn't seem to consider other human experiences at this point, but rather later as an afterthought.

This college issue occurred before Bella became immortal and before she knew that she was pregnant. As an immortal, I agree she has all the time in the world. I don't know why she would put herself through college as a human when she clearly wasn't interested. It would make her parents happy but they weren't forcing her to go or anything and she could have taken the year off to go travel or work if she wanted to remain human. Many people do that and then pursue a career after so it's not unusual. What do you think?
she is going to college to gain a few more HUMAN experiences before she gives her life up for eternity - forever an 18 year old who could never have a career, persay. In all reality, she would never NEED to go to college in the first place!
The only human experience she was really interested in was to be intimate with Edward, any other experience was more like a bonus than a reason.

----------------------------------------------------------

and bella DID do this. she ran away to see jacob when edward said no and had alice holding her hostage.
She was able to effectively COMPROMISE with edward so they were BOTH able to get what they wanted. (ie edward got a wife, bella became a vampire etc)

i think she did a really good job at holding her own ground in the relationship
She did, but she also let's Edward walk all over her many other times. She let's him get away with leaving her out of the blue in New Moon, taking her places that she doesn't want to go like prom or the trip to Florida in Eclipse and doesn't tell him that he was wrong to remove parts from her car or have Alice hold her hostage when he was gone. Even though she goes and sees Jacob anyway when being held hostage by Alice, Bella acts like it's her fault for wanting to see Jacob and never tells Edward that he has no right to prevent her from seeing her friends.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:bella didn't SAY outright that she needed to be tiptoed around or treated a certain way. but her actions and the way she speaks to people do. she won't let edward nor jacob give rosalie any crap for how she's treating anyone, and yet she expects them to stay. she's begging jacob to stay with her, she's expecting everyone to follow the "rules" SHE sets down, when honestly she's making everyone's life pretty difficult. not without good reason, obviously, but she is.

this, however, is definitely partially due to the people around her. they won't let anyone say a harsh word to bella. ever. i find it ridiculous.

First of all I don't think she ever set down any "rules". I'm curious as to what you are referring to. Second of all she does say something about how Jacob and Rosalie are acting towards each other but most of the time she just seems like she's out of it. She doesn't beg Jacob to stay she just simply asks him to come back.

People weren't walking around on eggshells b/c they were trying to follow her "rules" or do what she wanted. They were walking around on eggshells b/c the girl was DYING. The slightest bit of stress would cause her health to seriously decline. They were just trying to keep her from dying.

holdingoutforjacob wrote:yes but SHE wouldn't let anyone say a harsh word to anyone else! because if jake and leah, or edward and leah, or carlisle and leah, or anyone, started fighting it would make her feel bad about her decision! she can't take criticism at all.

bella was ridiculous in being surprised he came back because she continually ASKED him to come back. i find her to be a bit manipulative sometimes.
It's not that it made her feel bad b/c she felt guilty it's that she felt bad b/c these were all people she loved and they were fighting. They were fighting b/c she was pregnant so are you saying she felt guilty for being pregnant? I really don't think that thought ever went through her head. She just loved these people and wanted them to be able to get along.
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

the girl was pregnant! hormones go wild when you are pregnant. Remember stories of wives demanding their husband go down the street and get ice-cream at 2am in the morning? yeah, that is quite common!

a demanding pregnant woman? NEVER! :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

and as far as the whole college thing...

can we agree that bella wanted to remain human for a bit longer so she could prolong her feelings of being "passionately in love."

by remaining human, she chose to follow through with the college idea because
a) she was already enrolled - edward had done this for her, against her better judgment.
b) to please her parents
c) it would be a good alibi later on
d) it gave her an excuse to be away from forks and with edward

she only planned to go for a semester anyway!
Last edited by pubesy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

vampirenerd wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote: this, however, is definitely partially due to the people around her. they won't let anyone say a harsh word to bella. ever. i find it ridiculous.
People weren't walking around on eggshells b/c they were trying to follow her "rules" or do what she wanted. They were walking around on eggshells b/c the girl was DYING. The slightest bit of stress would cause her health to seriously decline. They were just trying to keep her from dying.
Actually, they walk on eggshells around her all the time. Even when she's not pregnant and dying, they don't let a single person criticize her. (A little off-topic, but this reminds me a lot of SMeyer herself— if you've heard of the Breaking Dawn petition...)

No one criticizes Bella for her actions in any of the other books, either.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

Amivera wrote:Actually, they walk on eggshells around her all the time. Even when she's not pregnant and dying, they don't let a single person criticize her. (A little off-topic, but this reminds me a lot of SMeyer herself— if you've heard of the Breaking Dawn petition...)

No one criticizes Bella for her actions in any of the other books, either.
Is there some specific instance you're thinking of (other than when she was pregnant) where you felt like people were specifically holding things back from her? I can think of times when Edward was over-protective and didn't want to tell her that she was in danger, which Jake rightly called him out on, but beyond that can't really think of any myself.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

moon sidhe wrote:
Is there some specific instance you're thinking of (other than when she was pregnant) where you felt like people were specifically holding things back from her? I can think of times when Edward was over-protective and didn't want to tell her that she was in danger, which Jake rightly called him out on, but beyond that can't really think of any myself.
One that I can think of is Bella's treatment of both Edward and Jacob throughout Eclipse. She treated them both horribly but no one said a word against her. I think Jacob told her to decide or something but no one addressed the way that she was treating them.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

I think the problem in Eclipse was that Bella just didn't know what to do. She knew that she would always choose Edward of course, but she also loved Jake and hated to see him hurt. She felt torn in two directions. I think it's easy to say, as someone looking on at the situation from the outside, that she was stringing them both along unfairly. I'm really not sure what I would have done in that situation myself, so I don't feel like I can judge her too harshly for not knowing how to handle it and not really knowing her own mind. She was figuring things out as she went along, and I don't think I could have done any better.