Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by Esme echo »

I'm sorry my misunderstanding of your post is aggravating you! :(

I realized something about Edward this morning ... he is the only one of the Cullen men to actually, physically, be a father. Carlisle has adopted a family and is a great father to them all, but Edward is the only one who has had a baby, watched over and nurtured her from infancy, and will assumably have the opportunity to watch her grow to adulthood and beyond. I wonder how that experience will impact his reationship with Carlisle?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Esme echo wrote:I'm sorry my misunderstanding of your post is aggravating you! :(

I realized something about Edward this morning ... he is the only one of the Cullen men to actually, physically, be a father. Carlisle has adopted a family and is a great father to them all, but Edward is the only one who has had a baby, watched over and nurtured her from infancy, and will assumably have the opportunity to watch her grow to adulthood and beyond. I wonder how that experience will impact his reationship with Carlisle?
your misunderstanding of my post is not aggravating me, it's that i am sure i have corrected that at least a few times, yet people still insist on disregarding that and commenting on the misconception, which is silly.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
your misunderstanding of my post is not aggravating me, it's that i am sure i have corrected that at least a few times, yet people still insist on disregarding that and commenting on the misconception, which is silly.
Not trying to get you wild up again but you do tend to word things in a way that has lead to several misunderstandings.
Esme echo wrote: I realized something about Edward this morning ... he is the only one of the Cullen men to actually, physically, be a father. Carlisle has adopted a family and is a great father to them all, but Edward is the only one who has had a baby, watched over and nurtured her from infancy, and will assumably have the opportunity to watch her grow to adulthood and beyond. I wonder how that experience will impact his reationship with Carlisle?
You know something like that cross my mind when I read MS. It was refreshing to see how close Carlisle and Edward really are. Edward does listen to Carlisle but he probably needed his advice more through the whole situation.
Last edited by Kachiti on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

>___< gahh, you guys! How dare you? Haha…I’ve missed on all the fun.
…stupid school!
Aww, holdingoutforjacob. I feel so bad because I know how you feel. It can get quite frustrating ^_^
But it was a good discussion nonetheless.

Esme Echo, i don`t really know how Edward's relationship with Carlise would be impacted by him becoming a father. To me, it just makes that relationship more stronger because it puts Edward's in Carlisle's shoes and he will be able to understand more of 'fatherhood' thought right now Renesme doesn't really need guidness at the moment. I can see her being more of a daddy's girl, hehe >_____>> hopefully soon, her and Edward can connect more. and she can go to him for advice and such if ever needed. I mean, I can't see Bella doing so much of that...
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Kachiti wrote:
Not trying to get you wild up again but you do tend to word things in a way that has lead to several misunderstandings.
you know actually, when you misunderstood me, honey, everyone else got it fine, so i find that little comment to be rude and unnecessary. it's really none of your business, and you weren't involved. i DID say that but it got misunderstood, i wasn't annoyed that it got misunderstood i was annoyed that i corrected it and people ignored that, so once again, maybe you should figure out what's going on before you comment. i actually went back and reread the posts that i put up that you did not understand, and they were perfectly sensical, and when asked, you couldn't even tell me what you didn't understand.

haha malaz thanks for the sympathy, it was totally my fault that it got misunderstood originally though, i was just frustrated because even though i corrected it and myself no one seemed to be listening. not that it got misunderstood in the first place.

esme echo, you bring up an interesting point. i think that edward's and carlisle's relationship, while edward considers it to be very father/son like, isn't. because fathers and sons are not equals, and edward and carlisle have none of that equality. but it isn't brotherly either, there's more of a reverence that edward has for carlisle. i can't seem to classify it.

out of all the cullens, the relationship that seems like it most belongs in a real family is emmett and edward. they really do seem like brothers.

Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Kachiti wrote:
you know actually, when you misunderstood me, honey, everyone else got it fine, so i find that little comment to be rude and unnecessary. it's really none of your business, and you weren't involved. i DID say that but it got misunderstood, i wasn't annoyed that it got misunderstood i was annoyed that i corrected it and people ignored that, so once again, maybe you should figure out what's going on before you comment. i actually went back and reread the posts that i put up that you did not understand, and they were perfectly sensical, and when asked, you couldn't even tell me what you didn't understand.
Giving my comments on others posts is my business and everyone else in this thread. Furthermore, this is the second time you have called me rude for pointing an error (misunderstanding) on your part. I think it would be in your best interest to take a deep breath, before you jump the gun (conclusions) and possibly read your comments before you post.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

no problem.

Emmett and Edward are very brotherly. Their behaviour to one another is very real, i can certainly compare it to my brothers and how they act towards each other.
Also Alice and Edward...haha, so me with my brothers. I can't see the future but i annoy the hell out of them and vice versa

Carlisle's and Edward's relationship as father and son is very hard to classify. For me, it's hard for me to see them that way because of the age difference. Carlise is 21, Edward is 17. That's not the usual age of a father and son. Also, Carlise and Edward are very equally wise in general (carlisle is wiser by a tinge might i add) so that kind of puts a wedge in that father/son concept. but the thing is, there seems to be that equality, I can't see Carlise viewing himself more superior than Edward. But certainly edward doesn't feel as equal to Carlisle.

SM said edward views carlisle as his mentor...a cicerone in many ways--there's this scene in midnight sun that well, pretty much proves that.

and also, screw computers. i had a better paragraph talking about ^that and it just gets deleted. :x
I tried to type all that i can think of.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Kachiti wrote:
Kachiti wrote:
Giving my comments on others posts is my business and everyone else in this thread. Furthermore, this is the second time you have called me rude for pointing an error (misunderstanding) on your part. I think it would be in your best interest to take a deep breath, before you jump the gun (conclusions) and possibly read your comments before you post.
ok you know, it's a little cocky to assume that when you don't understand me it's my fault...especially since when i offer to explain you can't even tell me what you are confused about.

secondly, really, it wasn't something you didn't understand. it wasn't even something you commented on. it wasn't a discussion you were involved in. you OBVIOUSLY did not know what happened or why i was irritated (which i explained), so you just threw that in for no real purpose. it simply wasn't needed.

thirdly, it's your business to respond to my view points, just as everyone else does, and if need be, the tone in which they used. it is NOT however, your business to comment on someone else's writing abilities or styles, especially in a negative way.

it's not rude to say "i don't understand that", but it is rude to place blame, to insult a person with things like "incoherent" and insult their writing ability.

my final word on the subject: the fact that people mistook what i was saying was MY fault. i just wrote it to make a point, not as a point in and of itself. but i feel like i corrected myself several times and people ignored that, and it did irritate me, which is what i was frustrated about.

NOW on to better things.

malaz, i agree. alice and edward's relationship is realistic, but something about the way interactions with emmett are written makes them seem very real to me.

i think edward has a lot of knowledge and intelligence, but he is not exactly wise. carlisle is. i think this is one reason that edward really looks up to him.

it's not so much that a father would view himself as superior to his son, it's that it wouldn't even be thought about. a father is an authority, and carlisle isn't that. i think he is sort of like the pope you know?? in the cullen world? everyone totally reveres him.

i think edward's relationship with esme is also pretty realistic, though we don't see much of it. but i think it may, and guys if you are out there correct me if i'm wrong, be easier to feel maternal than paternal over people who aren't your own children, or who aren't that much younger than you. like, i feel maternal over a lot of my swim team mates, and even some of my school mates (trust me, they need the looking out for), but i'm pretty sure that it doesn't work that way for guys. just a guess, obviously, as i wouldn't know.

oh, and malaz, my computer does the same thing all the time. this is the second time i typed all that.

Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote: ok you know, it's a little cocky to assume that when you don't understand me it's my fault...especially since when i offer to explain you can't even tell me what you are confused about.

secondly, really, it wasn't something you didn't understand. it wasn't even something you commented on. it wasn't a discussion you were involved in. you OBVIOUSLY did not know what happened or why i was irritated (which i explained), so you just threw that in for no real purpose. it simply wasn't needed.

thirdly, it's your business to respond to my view points, just as everyone else does, and if need be, the tone in which they used. it is NOT however, your business to comment on someone else's writing abilities or styles, especially in a negative way.

it's not rude to say "i don't understand that", but it is rude to place blame, to insult a person with things like "incoherent" and insult their writing ability.

my final word on the subject: the fact that people mistook what i was saying was MY fault. i just wrote it to make a point, not as a point in and of itself. but i feel like i corrected myself several times and people ignored that, and it did irritate me, which is what i was frustrated about.
Again you're proving my point, any time I find an error (misunderstanding) and point it out, you get defensive. Why does this bother you so much? Yes you stated that the misunderstandings were your fault for the most part. I made a suggestion and you lose it. The last time you asked me to explain and I respond in great detail(please see page 22 of this thread). You stated that I had taken what you said out of context maybe I just wasn't reading what you said very thoroughly? If I hadn't understand you, then I wouldn't have been able to respond as I did. Others (you said) seemed to understand you just fine which isn't exactly true but oh well.
Then again you do seem easily frustrated.
carmabelle
Settled in Forks

Post by carmabelle »

i really felt Edward's pain durring Bella's pregnecy the way Jake saw it wow it totally cought me off guard.....thats when i finally realized how much Edward loves Bella and how much he would beat himself up for hurting her.