Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Esme echo wrote:I have to agree with malaz that when Edward faced the Volturi with arrogance, I was delighted! I never doubted the Cullens would triumph, and I loved seeing Edward give them a taste of their own attitude.

And I sort of follow what malaz is saying about tolerating--even enjoying--misbehavior in my fiction characters that I wouldn't tolerate in my real world. So, Edward spending most nights with Bella, their passionate kissing, his overbearing or controlling behavior, his arrogance, etc.--none of which I would fail to react strongly to in real life--merely serve as plot devices to me. I guess I am more concerned with the overall feel of the story than whether the characters are admirable in every way.

Please don't yell at me, but this is one of those areas where longer years of experience color my attitude. I've seen a lot of behavior by a wide variety of people. I'm much less idealistic than when I was younger; idealism is good, but I've found that experience tempers it in good ways. So, a lot of what Edward does that makes some younger readers crazy, I shrug off, 'cause I know it's just a blip in his development, and he'll outgrow his poor judgment. I'm a lot more tolerant and forgiving than I used to be. :D
sometimes arrogance has its place....like that example!! one of my favorite edward moments ever, fyi.

i agree with that as well, i do the same with jacob, so i guess again it just comes down to what irks you most. i have no tolerance for know-it-all's or controlling behavior, so that bothers me in edward. but i understand what you are saying malaz, definitely. and i am so sorry about your computer, mine does the same thing. a lot.

esme echo, i agree with your thoughts on age, sort of, because i agree that your experiences with different types of people make a HUGE difference. but i think that's not so much age related as experience related. i am much younger than you, but i understand fully and completely WHY edward does what he does, and i think he has all the potential in the world.

btw, you are still a rather idealistic person - it's lovely! many of my high-school-age friends are cynical and jaded, i find it sad. it makes me happy to know that age doesn't beget cynicism or arrogance in all people.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

When I read the officially released first chapter of MS, I was a little mad at Edward for belittling people's thoughts and acting like other people are stupid. But then I realize, that he is way older than everyone else. Like little kids seem stupid and annoying to my, because i'm older than them. The same with Edward and Jessica(i kinda feel srry for Jess. I still think she's phony though)
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

but i hate it when people are all "i'm older and therefore smarter than you, what you think can't possibly be of any value, and i will dismiss it all no matter how true it may be, as you are younger."

ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I really enjoyed the story with all of the Characters, but Edward is one of my favorites. I don't think there is really one thing about his character that I could draw on to really figure out why I like him, maybe it's just how he changes through out the series. I like that he was drawn to Bella, maybe because he couldn't read her mind but then later because of how strong in mind she was.

It was fun to see him go through very human emotions and open himself up to new experiences, but at the same time still be weary of it all because he is a Vampire and because her blood sings to him. I didn't like when he left her even though I understood why he did it, and yes it's just a story, but that kind of bugged me just a bit because he wasn't really letting her decide, of coarse then you get into the fact that she is in danger, but she should have had a choice in the matter, or maybe not.

The other part that drew me to his character was his struggle over taking Bella's soul, I'm not sure if I've ever come across a vampire story where you have a coven like Edward is in who thinks about having a Soul and hopes and believes that their way of life will have some meaning, and that the believe in God. That part too drew me in a little.

So where does that leave me? I guess it's just that I really enjoyed myself and found myself not really thinking too much about what happens in real life verses what doesn't happen. Real life often times doesn't work out the way we want, you lose people you love and you don't get a second chance, or you meet someone and you grow apart. Edward had his fair share of struggles but in the end he got the happy ending, and maybe thats part of what I like is that through all the struggles at least at this point he does, and they do get what they want.

Sorry if this was long winded, but anyway there are my thoughts.
Edberenjac12
Settled in Forks

Post by Edberenjac12 »

So, I hope that a lot of you have read the sampling of Midnight Sun that Ms. Meyer (it feels weird to call someone I don't know by their first name) has posted on her website, because I love the idea of getting into Edward's head for once. Just to know his thought processes and the 'extra' thoughts he experiences is amazing. He is a character that has so much depth I don't know where to leap first. I mean, he had a century of life before he even met Bella. I wonder if she will 'show' us what his life was like when he was first changed-reading the minds of criminals, or when he made the decision to leave Bella, and maybe his stint with the Volturi before Bella and Alice showed up. (I could keep going!) It has to be depressing but at the same time another facet of Edward to appreciate and collect.

More thoughts to come...

:D
"It bares teeth, extra sharp, that'll cut you in the heart. It attacks really quick, try and fight it with a stick. It's no use, give it up, this is life and this is love. You are my alligator" -Grizzly Bear
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

Edberenjac12 wrote:So, I hope that a lot of you have read the sampling of Midnight Sun that Ms. Meyer (it feels weird to call someone I don't know by their first name) has posted on her website, because I love the idea of getting into Edward's head for once. Just to know his thought processes and the 'extra' thoughts he experiences is amazing. He is a character that has so much depth I don't know where to leap first. I mean, he had a century of life before he even met Bella. I wonder if she will 'show' us what his life was like when he was first changed-reading the minds of criminals, or when he made the decision to leave Bella, and maybe his stint with the Volturi before Bella and Alice showed up. (I could keep going!) It has to be depressing but at the same time another facet of Edward to appreciate and collect.

More thoughts to come...

:D
I would have to agree, I read that first part and I liked what I saw, I really hope that some day we will see the story in it's entirety. That would be very nice indeed
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Edberenjac12 wrote: I wonder if she will 'show' us what his life was like when he was first changed-reading the minds of criminals, or when he made the decision to leave Bella, and maybe his stint with the Volturi before Bella and Alice showed up.
Am I remembering wrong? I thought it was just Carlisle who had a stint with the Volturi back in the 16th century or something.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

moon sidhe wrote:
Edberenjac12 wrote: I wonder if she will 'show' us what his life was like when he was first changed-reading the minds of criminals, or when he made the decision to leave Bella, and maybe his stint with the Volturi before Bella and Alice showed up.
Am I remembering wrong? I thought it was just Carlisle who had a stint with the Volturi back in the 16th century or something.
Yes it was Carlisle. According to Edward he spent several decades with them.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

i think it may be time for me to temporarily shelve my jacob obsession and re-read the series from the perspective of an edward fan. especially eclipse, although that may be hard. although it was my favorite book, edward was awful in that (IMO, but there are several awfully sweet moments!) anyway, i wanna try to focus on edward again, because it's been awhile.

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

moon sidhe wrote:
She meant the scene in new moon when Edward went to the voltri before Bella and Alice hopped on a plane and went to rescue him.
I personally would LOVE to read that part from his point of view....siigh
and also Edberenjac12 - i TOTALLY agree with you. I would love to read something more about edward's life before and after he met bella from his point of view.
HOFJ - wowww, i don't know what to say. nice though!!
Last edited by Amethyst1 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.