Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by Kachiti »

Amivera wrote:
pubesy wrote:Look, Amivera, I seriously think you're missing the point here also.
Oh, wow. I'm missing the point. You're missing the point. Kachiti is missing the point. I'm pretty sure we're all driving along on our own roads and completely ignoring the point! :lol:
it was never "i-am-going-to-college-so-i-can-have-sex."
No I agree with Pubesy your seriously missing the point.
Amivera wrote:The day after Bella cries and begs for sex, and Edward finally gives it to her, she wakes up, makes breakfast, and decides she wants to have sex all the time. I don't have my book, but I just looked it up online. It's around page 126ish.
Oh you mean while they were on their HONEYMOON.
Amivera wrote:It seems like she tries to justify it in... her weird way, but basically, she wants to go to college *to have sex*. Edward even says: "So sex was the key all along?"
The reason I'd hope she would go to college would be because she was genuinely interested in learning more— or even because she just wanted to continue her education. Not for sex.
It can just be physical. That's what, er... prostitutes are for, right? They give you all the physical without any of those pesky emotional ties. :P
Again its wasn't for the sex but then again they were on their honeymoon. Like I and others have stated before it had more to do with how she was going to behave her first year as a vampire then anything else. Of course Pubesy is a much better wordsmith then I.
Amivera wrote: Also, she doesn't mention a little state college or anything. ... not a state college, and she doesn't think once of education,

Look at the first chapter of Eclipse.
Amivera wrote: She's willing to go to Dartmouth,

I believe it was one of Edward's condition before they got married

Amivera wrote:I can speak for myself.

That's good to know
Amivera wrote:And, er, Kachiti, I don't quite understand what your problem with me is...? I'm just stating OPINIONS. If you think I've personally attacked someone other than the characters, (and they're here to attack, obviously, because A) they're fictional and B) these are boards on which to discuss them) then you're wrong.
First of all I wasn't trying to attack you nor do I have problem you but I have noticed you have stated some things that are pretty out there. Its seems to me that you had rather Bella be a leveled headed person then someone in love. Sometimes love and logical thinking don't travel on the same wave length.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by moon sidhe »

Kachiti wrote: Sometimes love and logical thinking don't travel on the same wave length.
That is more than sometimes true, it is very frequently true. :)
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

pubesy wrote:GUYS, CAN WE CHILL OUT WITH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS HERE? It ruins it for every one else. lets just kiss and make up...or i will get Victoria stuck on you! ;)

Look, Amivera, I seriously think you're missing the point here also. I agree with you on the part where state that they are allowed to have sex (LOL...and lots of it ;) ).
However, I am saying that her DECISION TO GO TO COLLEGE (notice the word college right there) was based on THE SEX. People are not meant to go to college to have sex unless they're A) learning how to be a professional Vulgar Language Is Ugly, B) learning to teach Sex Ed, or C) maybe going to a party college.

Seriously. People don't pay thousands of dollars to go to college and have sex. Bella is supposed to be smart, but her decision to stay alive and go to college (two things I wholeheartedly support for any person here) were based on having sex.
This is where i see you missing the point altogether.

as discussed previously, Bella's decision to not be changed just yet, was a decision based on her love and desire to be close with edward. Not just about the sex. She was scared that she could never feel the same way that she did during the honeymoon, when she becomes a newborn so she wanted to prolong her human life for a few more months, in order to prolong the way she feels about Edward, and the way she can now "BE" with Edward, on an intimate and personal level.
isn't that the same as sex lol...

Also, I have to agree that I don't like guys who are too perfect. Edward strikes me as being too perfect. I like guys who aren't anything but muscles
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

grr. now this is making me quite irritated.
The day after Bella cries and begs for sex, and Edward finally gives it to her, she wakes up, makes breakfast, and decides she wants to have sex all the time. I don't have my book, but I just looked it up online. It's around page 126ish.

It seems like she tries to justify it in... her weird way, but basically, she wants to go to college *to have sex*. Edward even says: "So sex was the key all along?"
CAN YOU STOP ACTING LIKE BELLA IS A DIRTY Vulgar Language Is Ugly? she wants to have sex with her husband. DEAL WITH IT! she did not BEG for sex, like some hooker off the street. I am sorry, but you are starting to be really disrespectful to her character.

sex is not "just sex" when you are with someone you love. it is emotional, spiritual, and it takes you to a higher level of being. I have absolutely no problem with bella wanting to experience this with her husband! it is not like she is going to college and having sex with every frat boy she meets!

and dont you think EDWARD wanted to "be with" her just as much as Bella wanted to "be with" him?
isn't that the same as sex lol...
"sex" has so many negative connotations. "just sex" can be had with a prostitute, one night stand - basically something anyone can have. "being with" a person is reserved for lovers only. that is my take.
The reason I'd hope she would go to college would be because she was genuinely interested in learning more— or even because she just wanted to continue her education. Not for sex.
I cannot BELIEVE you suggested bella work at Macca's! She was going to go to Dartmouth to make her parents proud and her new family happy. how "proud" would charlie be if she dropped out of dartmout and worked as a checkout chick.
It can just be physical. That's what, er... prostitutes are for, right? They give you all the physical without any of those pesky emotional ties.
I cannot believe you just compared bella to a prostitute. If you meant to do this, i have just lost all respect for you, and can say with confidence that you know NOTHING about the book.

i really hope you were joking.
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Kachiti wrote:
Auctorita wrote:
Well, I'm not trying to turn Bella into someone else, nor did I state that I found her to be ungrateful for not jumping at the chance to go to college. Where I did find her to be ungrateful was in how she made the decision to go or not. There is nothing wrong with her not wanting to go, but after sex with Edward she suddenly changes her mind because that means more sex as human. It's that decision specifically that I found ungrateful because she wasn't taking it seriously at all and but almost no thought into it. College is something that you have to consider carefully particularly when you don't have much money to invest in it. Bella's lack of thought and seriousness in her decision came off to me as ungrateful for the opportunities that she had be given.
Auctorita, I see what your trying to say but as Pubesy has so brilliantly put it, there is more to the story. Bella wasn't ungrateful just not interested in having someone (Edward) buying her way into college.
Again, my problem isn't with whether Bella wanted to go to college or not, but with the lack or seriousness or thought that went into her change of mind in BD. Yes, she doesn't want to buy her way into college, I understand that (I would want to get into a good school knowing that I actually earned it too). However, her sudden decision to go to college willingly, instead of for her parents, (I think it was an Ivy League but correct me if I'm wrong) was based solely on the idea of being with Edward. This shows that she doesn't take college seriously and thinks of it as more of just hanging out with Edward. She doesn't even consider what a great opportunity she has, people would kill to be in her position. Deciding not to go to college because she wants to earn her admission rather than buy it I think is perfectly legitimate and not ungrateful. Deciding to go to college just to be with Edward and not to actually pursue any sort of study I find her to be quite ungrateful for what she has.
I cannot BELIEVE you suggested bella work at Macca's! She was going to go to Dartmouth to make her parents proud and her new family happy. how "proud" would charlie be if she dropped out of dartmout and worked as a checkout chick.
It wasn't a suggestion as an alternative to college just an example. She was just stating that Bella didn't have to go to college in order to be with Edward as a human.
I cannot believe you just compared bella to a prostitute. If you meant to do this, i have just lost all respect for you, and can say with confidence that you know NOTHING about the book.
Amivera was stating that sex doesn't necessarily always have emotional/spiritual experiences involved, it can be just physical and therefore that is why prostitutes exist. There was no comparison made to Bella and prostitutes.

-----

And I'll go back to Edward since I'm way off topic. I honestly don't know how it can be much fun to hug or be held by someone with granite skin. It seems like the same thing as hugging a rock. :|
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
KaseyHeartEdward

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i'm about to confess something that NEVER LEAVES THIS BOARD.

i love him too. i do. not as much as my homedog jacob (no pun intended) but still. a lot.

amivera *heart smiley that doesn't exist*
Don't worry.! Your secret is safe with me! Smiles. Shhh....

I love edward's personality. And i think i would be fine to be in his cold arms. i mean if someone loved me and i loved them back i wouldn't care how his arms felt. Just as long as they were wraped around me. Smiles

How about as a knew topic since i believe the sex thing is mainly about Bella and proably should go to the Bella thread. Maybe we can do what is you favorite Edward Moment? OR you least favorite Edward moment or somthing. Just as long as we get back on the Edward Wagon lol.

Oh and gruop hug to all.

I will admit i can get a little mean on the boards sometimes. So i am sorry. Sometimes my emotions control me. but i try my best i am only human after all. Smiles

But yes lots of hugs!
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Auctorita wrote: Again, my problem isn't with whether Bella wanted to go to college or not, but with the lack or seriousness or thought that went into her change of mind in BD. Yes, she doesn't want to buy her way into college, I understand that (I would want to get into a good school knowing that I actually earned it too). However, her sudden decision to go to college willingly, instead of for her parents, (I think it was an Ivy League but correct me if I'm wrong) was based solely on the idea of being with Edward. This shows that she doesn't take college seriously and thinks of it as more of just hanging out with Edward. She doesn't even consider what a great opportunity she has, people would kill to be in her position. Deciding not to go to college because she wants to earn her admission rather than buy it I think is perfectly legitimate and not ungrateful. Deciding to go to college just to be with Edward and not to actually pursue any sort of study I find her to be quite ungrateful for what she has.
Again your comparing Bella to what you would have liked her to have been or think. You have to remember this is a love story. Bella was never ungrateful of what she had. If anything you could blame her for holding on too tight to it. And when is going to college to be with the one you love wrong especially if your married. I know as you will in the near future, a few couples who have gone to same college to be together. Why should Bella and Edward be any different. As for her study, she has two years before she has to declare a major so she really don't need to give it any thought.

Auctorita wrote:Amivera was stating that sex doesn't necessarily always have emotional/spiritual experiences involved, it can be just physical and therefore that is why prostitutes exist. There was no comparison made to Bella and prostitutes.
Then she haven't made that comparison or even bother mentioning it.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Kachiti wrote: Again your comparing Bella to what you would have liked her to have been or think. You have to remember this is a love story. Bella was never ungrateful of what she had. If anything you could blame her for holding on too tight to it. And when is going to college to be with the one you love wrong especially if your married. I know as you will in the near future, a few couples who have gone to same college to be together. Why should Bella and Edward be any different. As for her study, she has two years before she has to declare a major so she really don't need to give it any thought.
Not comparing her to what I would have liked her to be, but to how I think she should have considered college or vampire life. By this I mean that I expected a more thoughtful decision to be made about a potentially huge aspect of your life as this is what most intelligent people do. Of course, I have a problem with Bella's reasons, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't take issue with it. Furthermore, what does being ungrateful have anything to do with a love story and how was Bella grateful for what she had (regarding college). It isn't wrong because even if the couple wasn't together they both would still be going to college to pursue a certain study. Bella however, was more concerned with becoming immortal than going to college. There was nothing that she seemed to have an interest in studying and she wasn't making any plans to go on her own (again she was planning on becoming a vampire before then). Her sudden enthusiasm for college over immortality was based on being with Edward and not a desire for any sort of college experience or study. To me, it showed me that Bella does not care about what college can offer at all and that she doesn't take it seriously, thus ungrateful for an opportunity that many don't have.

Yes, she does need to give it some thought if she was planning to attend college. Many people don't know what they want to do right away or major in, but they take courses and figure out what they really would enjoy doing within those two years (unless they change majors). So yes, you do need to put some thought into your studies, if you don't then your just wasting time and money.

Also, it isn't wise to make assumptions as to my age considering you don't know me.
Kachiti wrote:
Auctorita wrote:Amivera was stating that sex doesn't necessarily always have emotional/spiritual experiences involved, it can be just physical and therefore that is why prostitutes exist. There was no comparison made to Bella and prostitutes.
Then she haven't made that comparison or even bother mentioning it.
She had a purpose in mentioning it, but that purpose wasn't to compare Bella to a prostitute.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
onebreath
Wandering Through Town

Post by onebreath »

Auctorita wrote: Again, my problem isn't with whether Bella wanted to go to college or not, but with the lack or seriousness or thought that went into her change of mind in BD. Yes, she doesn't want to buy her way into college, I understand that (I would want to get into a good school knowing that I actually earned it too). However, her sudden decision to go to college willingly, instead of for her parents, (I think it was an Ivy League but correct me if I'm wrong) was based solely on the idea of being with Edward. This shows that she doesn't take college seriously and thinks of it as more of just hanging out with Edward. She doesn't even consider what a great opportunity she has, people would kill to be in her position. Deciding not to go to college because she wants to earn her admission rather than buy it I think is perfectly legitimate and not ungrateful. Deciding to go to college just to be with Edward and not to actually pursue any sort of study I find her to be quite ungrateful for what she has.
Hm, I don’t understand why you are placing so much importance on her decision/choice to go to college (be it state, Ivy League or nothing at all) Does it belittle her worth in some way in your eyes knowing that she may not/won’t have a college education? Just because it is something you or someone else would ‘kill’ to obtain the opportunity for, doesn’t mean it’s right for Bella. I don't see that as being ungrateful. She needs more time to think it over because she's scared. Scared of making a fool of herself in a school she feels is way above her level of intelligence.
Furthermore, I personally do not believe that a college education necessarily dictates a person’s knowledge, worth or intelligence. I have some acquaintances who have never set foot in a college but are some of the most insightful, intelligent and thought-provoking thinkers I know! Not that I am the reincarnate of Einstein or Newton, of course, but you get my point. And I did go to college. :?

ETA:
Having said that, I want to make it clear that I do believe college can offer knowledge and can be a worthwhile experience. I just do not believe that all weight for how a person evolves should be placed on the shoulders of a ‘college education’ because it’s not necessarily the case.

I also want to say that I don’t believe Bella’s changing thoughts on whether to go to college were based on sex. And sex alone. I think it was only through the experience of having sex with Edward for the first time that she really began to see what he had been saying all along; that she was not fully considering what she was giving up to become immortal. He tried to get her to think about it many times and she simply claimed that she was aware. Well I don’t think it was until that moment that it really rang true. In a way, I think she was saddened by the thought finally reaching her (regarding her human life and what she actually would lose) and that there were, in fact, human experiences that she would miss and ones that she suddenly realized might be worth having as a human afterall. She’d thought about losing Charlie and Renee before but had never considered anything on a personal level for herself. Her intimacy with Edward just opened her eyes to that.

And wait... I’m failing to see why Bella cannot take her time to think about it somemore now that she is immortal? Perhaps after a few years pass, she will discover a desire to broaden her education at a school. Is there a reason she can't decide at a later date? I can’t recall. Did Edward not go through two medical programs while immortal? So why can’t Bella do the same in her study of choice? I mean she has all the time in the world right? Did I miss something here?
Last edited by onebreath on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pubesy

Post by pubesy »

I also want to say that I don’t believe Bella’s changing thoughts on whether to go to college were based on sex. And sex alone. I think it was only through the experience of having sex with Edward for the first time that she really began to see what he had been saying all along; that she was not fully considering what she was giving up to become immortal. He tried to get her to think about it many times and she simply claimed that she was aware. Well I don’t think it was until that moment that it really rang true. In a way, I think she was saddened by the thought finally reaching her (regarding her human life and what she actually would lose) and that there were, in fact, human experiences that she would miss and ones that she suddenly realized might be worth having as a human afterall. She’d thought about losing Charlie and Renee before but had never considered anything on a personal level for herself. Her intimacy with Edward just opened her eyes to that.
can i hug you?!?
you are so right!

Auctoria: I expected a more thoughtful decision to be made about a potentially huge aspect of your life as this is what most intelligent people do. Of course, I have a problem with Bella's reasons, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't take issue with it.
I understand where you are comming from. honestly, i do. when i was bella's age i would have killed to get into the course of my dreams. I would have been so angry if i heard that someone (such as bella) had no intention of finishing the course, and did not want to be there in the first place. WE would go there for the education and the experience.

however, these are our desires. to understand Bella's position, we need to step into Bella's shoes and out of our own.

Bella's biggest decision is not what college or career she will chose. it is not wondering what her future will be. What carrer she will have in 10 years etc. rather it is IF she will have a HUMAN future at all. she is going to college to gain a few more HUMAN experiences before she gives her life up for eternity - forever an 18 year old who could never have a career, persay. In all reality, she would never NEED to go to college in the first place!
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis