Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by spicey16 »

I also dont see how edward is such an awesome father.. He is never with the kid! Usually for good reason IE: his wife almost dying and then becoming a new born vampire. But still the kid is always with Rose or Jacob, sometimes bella.. hardly ever Edward. Even when renessme was telling about her day, Edward was no where to be found and bella and jacob were #1. Please give me an example of ed being a good father. sure he loved her and wants to protect her, but so did everyone else. maybe i missed something so help me out :)
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think edward certainly has the POTENTIAL to be a good father, and bella has the potential to be a good mother. we just don't see that because, well, SM didn't do such a great job of showing us too much towards the end. we didn't see normal interactions, it was so plot driven. so i agree with you that we don't see edward being a good father, we have no evidence of that. plus it's pretty easy to be a good parent of a young child, it gets harder as they get older.

but i don't think that means he won't be a good father. on the contrary, i think he'll be fabulous. i just don't think we can say yet.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

One of the first memories Renesmee shared with Bella was of Edward singing to her while Bella was changing. Renesmee loved it so much she played it twice for Bella (p. 468). When Bella asked about Renesmee after her transformation was complete, Edward spoke of the baby "with an understated fervor. A reverence. The way devout people talked about their gods" (p. 396). Edward was usually the parent who was most aware of Renesmee's needs, and reminded Bella they had a daughter to look after. Even though book 3 is written from Bella's perspective and quite naturally focused on her experiences, many times Edward was holding Renesmee. (I can't spend the time to pick out all those references.) For Christmas, knowing the possibility that he and Bella would be killed, Edward gave Renesmee an MP3 player with 5,000 of his favorite songs on it. He wanted to leave some part of himself with is daughter. When Bella told Jacob to run with Renesmee while the Volturi were "conferring," "Edward's and Jacob's faces were almost identical masks of horror.... Renesmee reached for Edward, and he took her in his arms. They hugged each other tightly. ... Edward kissed Renesmee's forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob's shoulder."

I think there is no question but that Edward adored his daughter. Doubtless, if the story had been told from his perspective, we would have seen a lot more Edward-Renesmee interaction. But even from Bella's perspective, it is clear to me that he was a loving father.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Esme echo wrote:One of the first memories Renesmee shared with Bella was of Edward singing to her while Bella was changing. Renesmee loved it so much she played it twice for Bella (p. 468). When Bella asked about Renesmee after her transformation was complete, Edward spoke of the baby "with an understated fervor. A reverence. The way devout people talked about their gods" (p. 396). Edward was usually the parent who was most aware of Renesmee's needs, and reminded Bella they had a daughter to look after. Even though book 3 is written from Bella's perspective and quite naturally focused on her experiences, many times Edward was holding Renesmee. (I can't spend the time to pick out all those references.) For Christmas, knowing the possibility that he and Bella would be killed, Edward gave Renesmee an MP3 player with 5,000 of his favorite songs on it. He wanted to leave some part of himself with is daughter. When Bella told Jacob to run with Renesmee while the Volturi were "conferring," "Edward's and Jacob's faces were almost identical masks of horror.... Renesmee reached for Edward, and he took her in his arms. They hugged each other tightly. ... Edward kissed Renesmee's forehead and both her cheeks, then he lifted her to Jacob's shoulder."

I think there is no question but that Edward adored his daughter. Doubtless, if the story had been told from his perspective, we would have seen a lot more Edward-Renesmee interaction. But even from Bella's perspective, it is clear to me that he was a loving father.
Good come back, because I sided with Spicey16. I never doubted that Edward could be a good father but I wish SM had written more about that. I thought Nessie spent too much time with Jacob and Roselie, while Bella was becoming a vamp. Then too much time with Jacob afterwards. Yes, I understand the whole imprinting thing but still....
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think that the amount of time nessie spent with jacob was appropriate and she obviously would not have been with him if her parents had wanted to be with her at that specific moment (well not wanted, i'm sure they always wanted to, but you know, been able to)

i, of course, agree that edward LOVES renesmee above and beyond anything or anyone, possibly including bella. which is why i say he has huge POTENTIAL. however, i don't think we've seen great fathering skills because quite frankly, she doesn't need them. she's got fifty billion people who love her. she doesn't get in trouble, and she doesn't need guidance. yet.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i think that the amount of time nessie spent with jacob was appropriate and she obviously would not have been with him if her parents had wanted to be with her at that specific moment (well not wanted, i'm sure they always wanted to, but you know, been able to).
I knew you were going to say that.
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Like many have said we just haven't had the chance see what kind of partents Edward and Bella are going to be. But we know they are good people well Vampires. So i don't think we have to worry. We can all see how much Edward and Bella love Nessie.
I just hope one day we could maybe just have some stories about how they interact as a family.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i, of course, agree that edward LOVES renesmee above and beyond anything or anyone, possibly including bella.
That's quite a claim. I agree that Edward more than loves Renesmee, but never more than Bella. Bella, as she admits, appears to love Renesmee as much, if not more than Edward, but I don't think Edward's on that same boat. The difference being that Bella has loved Renesmee from the get-go; risking her own life to keep the child alive, while Edward's love for Renesmee came a bit later, and to be frank, he didn't harbor the child, which I believe does make a huge difference. Here is where I need to be especially careful with my wording. I don't want to say that Bella loves Renesmee more than Edward loves her, but I do believe that Bella, to a certain degree, loves Nessie more than Edward. While Edward loves Nessie and would risk equally as much as Bella would for Renesmee, b he doesn't love her more than Bella. He'll never love anything more than Bella. As for Bella, I can't say the same.

Note: I did see that you put "possibly" including Bella which indicates that it's not a certainty.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

*Bloodlust* wrote: That's quite a claim. I agree that Edward more than loves Renesmee, but never more than Bella. Bella, as she admits, appears to love Renesmee as much, if not more than Edward, but I don't think Edward's on that same boat. The difference being that Bella has loved Renesmee from the get-go; risking her own life to keep the child alive, while Edward's love for Renesmee came a bit later, and to be frank, he didn't harbor the child, which I believe does make a huge difference.
That's the interpretation I got. While he might have spent time with Nessie while Bella was becoming a vamp, he never left Bella side. I think when it said in BD that whenever Nessie vision included Edward, Bella was always in the background. Then again I think Jacob being in the picture kind of throws everything out of whack but oh well. I also got the impression that if Bella hadn't had made it, he wouldn't have stuck around for Nessie. I know this might sound wrong but this is my interpretation.
*Bloodlust* wrote:Here is where I need to be especially careful with my wording. I don't want to say that Bella loves Renesmee more than Edward loves her, but I do believe that Bella, to a certain degree, loves Nessie more than Edward. While Edward loves Nessie and would risk equally as much as Bella would for Renesmee, b he doesn't love her more than Bella. He'll never love anything more than Bella. As for Bella, I can't say the same.

Note: I did see that you put "possibly" including Bella which indicates that it's not a certainty.

Though I think (I don't know for sure, just observation) that its natural for mother to slightly love her child more. After all she carried the baby and for the most part is the primary care giver.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

*Bloodlust* wrote:That's quite a claim. I agree that Edward more than loves Renesmee, but never more than Bella. Bella, as she admits, appears to love Renesmee as much, if not more than Edward, but I don't think Edward's on that same boat. The difference being that Bella has loved Renesmee from the get-go; risking her own life to keep the child alive, while Edward's love for Renesmee came a bit later, and to be frank, he didn't harbor the child, which I believe does make a huge difference. Here is where I need to be especially careful with my wording. I don't want to say that Bella loves Renesmee more than Edward loves her, but I do believe that Bella, to a certain degree, loves Nessie more than Edward. While Edward loves Nessie and would risk equally as much as Bella would for Renesmee, b he doesn't love her more than Bella. He'll never love anything more than Bella. As for Bella, I can't say the same.
I think it's hard to compare the love of parents for each other to their love for their children. I think they are totally separate issues.

My husband and I love our children and would do, give, or sacrifice anything we could that was (in our opinion) in their best interests, but we are each other's top priority. Eventually children grow up and leave home, but we will always be together.

It's kind of a hard concept for me to explain. For example, the kids know Friday night is date night and their plans do not trump our plans except under special circumstances. We do give up our plans to support and help our children, we do sacrifice what we want to help them, but we also know that at the end of a couple of decades these children will be out of our home and living independently--at which time our marriage relationship must still be strong. Although we will never stop loving them or parenting them, the reality is that they will not need us in the same way, but we will always need each other.

I very much appreciate and relate to Bella's comment: "The days were not long enough for me to get my fill of adoring my daughter; the nights did not have enough hours to satisfy my need for Edward."

In my view the love of a mate and the love children are two very different things. Related, but different.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."