Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
moon sidhe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by moon sidhe »

Good point. I think the more proper usage is between two people that have a conflict. I think some people here have extended the meaning to whoever their favorite character is.
You are in my blood like holy wine
and you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

haha thank you for responding to my mini-rant!

now, back on to topic.

i personally think that jacob and edward are very similar, but it'd be interesting to see other's views. compare and contrast anyone??

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

moon sidhe wrote:Personally, I don't think I would be as into him. His intensity and earnestness are two of the things that make him so attractive to me. But I think a lot of people prefer guys who don't take everything quite so seriously, and I'm guessing that many of them would be more into an Edward that was more light-hearted.

I think there is a thread about how many times you've read the series. "How many times have you read the saga" in the Quenching Your Thirst forum.
I'm with you. I think that's why I like MS better. You know, I think Edward and Van Gogh would have really hit off.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:haha thank you for responding to my mini-rant!

now, back on to topic.

i personally think that jacob and edward are very similar, but it'd be interesting to see other's views. compare and contrast anyone??
You're welcome!

Hmmm, compare and contrast. I think they're both very principled. They take their responsibilities very seriously. I think at first Edward was the much more brooding character, but after Jake started having to deal with shape shifting and everything he went through with Bella, he gave Edward a run for his money in that respect. Edward seems to be the more "cultured" of the two. More into the arts etc. Granted he's also had over a hundred years to cultivate his interests, but I never got the sense that Jake was too interested in that stuff. I'm sure there are a lot more stuffed somewhere in the back of my head, but my mind is going blank for now. Any others people can think of?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

hmmm i agree.

is "culture" necessarily simply the arts though? i mean, is it necessarily better to be into music and painting and such than to be able to build a car? i'm just curious.

i find them to be very similar, but jake to be a bit more balanced and reasonable.

moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:hmmm i agree.

is "culture" necessarily simply the arts though? i mean, is it necessarily better to be into music and painting and such than to be able to build a car? i'm just curious.

i find them to be very similar, but jake to be a bit more balanced and reasonable.

Here's a definition of cultured I found: civilized: marked by refinement in taste and manners
So I don't think it's only related to the arts, I guess I include that in the "taste" category though. I think this character trait has a lot to do with the era Edward grew up in as well.

Jake certainly has his own set of talents and interests, like building cars, but I'm not sure I would put that in the "cultured" category. One of the reasons I like Jake though is that he doesn't care so much about civility, taste and manners. He's fun. :)
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

moon sidhe wrote:
Here's a definition of cultured I found: civilized: marked by refinement in taste and manners
So I don't think it's only related to the arts, I guess I include that in the "taste" category though. I think this character trait has a lot to do with the era Edward grew up in as well.

Jake certainly has his own set of talents and interests, like building cars, but I'm not sure I would put that in the "cultured" category. One of the reasons I like Jake though is that he doesn't care so much about civility, taste and manners. He's fun. :)
It can be if you thing of the car being a sculpture. Jacob is an artist in his own way, his medium just happens to be metal and machines.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
glstewart
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by glstewart »

Jacob is pretty darn good with a carving knife. That little wolf he made Bella was fabulously artistic!
I Want to Believe
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

hmmm. i like that way of looking at it!

i guess i think that culture's a little boring sometimes. i like the arts, but i don't want to judge it on intellectual merit or whatever. sometimes i think in keeping a high "taste" level, we forget what certain things are about. i think reading is a great example of that. but i also think movies and especially music can be that way too.

i think that jacob is, in general, a happy person, while edward is not.

but i think they are both brave, insanely selfless, courageous, honorable, and all those other lovely character traits.

moon sidhe

Post by moon sidhe »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:hmmm. i like that way of looking at it!

i guess i think that culture's a little boring sometimes. i like the arts, but i don't want to judge it on intellectual merit or whatever. sometimes i think in keeping a high "taste" level, we forget what certain things are about. i think reading is a great example of that. but i also think movies and especially music can be that way too.

i think that jacob is, in general, a happy person, while edward is not.

but i think they are both brave, insanely selfless, courageous, honorable, and all those other lovely character traits.

Agreed! With all of that. :)