Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Jacob Black

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

malaz wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:may i ask what changes in him? because i didn't find him to be very good after imprinting, not because he changed his personality, but because SM's writing of him decreased in quality. i don't think it was intentional. i also thought he wasn't in the story a whole lot, but maybe that's the reason you like him better then?

anyway, what changed that made you like him now as opposed to before?
oh no, i am not saying his personality changed. He was always the same jacob throughout the book. He was just a little less bitter, a little less rude. his actions aren't agrivating actions that i would gritt my teeth at. y'know. He wasn't as concerned with bella as much. He was the same jacob i met in new moon (which i really liked) not pained and broken inside which usually leads to being bitter. Anyways yeah, i guess he was that jacob, innocent and young that was in twilight and new moon. And i like him.

ahahaha, because he wasn't that much in the third book? hmm...i don't think that's part of it. i haven't really noticed anyways. the third book was overwhelming. there was so much going on. and there were alot of he did this and she did this but not the actaul interactions which i would have REALLY loved and enjoyed but i like breaking dawn the way it is regardless
i understand and i agree with that. he was a lot less in pain, because well, imprinting sort of healed his pain. AH how ironic is that?? i was all against imprinting because it would be too much emotion when he was already so emotionally hurt, and it turns out i was wrong. or was i? i mean, there are no unfortunate circumstances surrounding his imprinting on nessie. bella is happy with edward, and alive, so that conflict is over. jacob isn't pining over bella anymore, but they still love each other, in the "right" way for them. and jacob has his soul mate. nothing to fret about at all.

i agree that i would have liked to see more "showing" and not "telling" in the third book of BD. especially of jacob's actions. it wouldn't have been hard, miss meyer.

but, if you look carefully at NM and EC, you'll see a pattern. jacob is only rude and/or bitter when bella has hurt him. she calls it his "sam mask" but in reality it is the "bella has hurt me and now i'm sad but i don't wanna show that cuz i'm chock full of testosterone so i'll act tough mask" she's really rather insensitive.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:but, if you look carefully at NM and EC, you'll see a pattern. jacob is only rude and/or bitter when bella has hurt him. she calls it his "sam mask" but in reality it is the "bella has hurt me and now i'm sad but i don't wanna show that cuz i'm chock full of testosterone so i'll act tough mask" she's really rather insensitive.
The alternative is Bella never doing anything that would upset Jacob!

In my opinion Bella never hurt Jacob carelessly. The closest she came to that was when she chose to go back to the house after Jacob smelled vampire (New Moon, pp. 377-80). His pain was always her pain; however, she had to do what she felt was right in her life--as we all do.

Jacob chose his battles. Bella was very plain with Jacob that Edward was her priority and she could not live without him. Jacob chose to invest his heart in winning Bella. He didn't have to. Heads can overrule hearts. She did not encourage anything beyond friendship, but he pushed it, then was unhappy every time it was obvious that Bella's attitude was not changing. That's not Bella's fault, in my opinion. Jacob made a choice.

I know she held his hand. I know she liked to be with him. I know she took advantage of his company when she was went crazy. Nevertheless, she never told him she loved him until he forced her to.

Gotta go. :)
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

no. the alternative is for bella to put a little extra thought into her interactions with him, have a little sensitivity and compassion for him.

jacob chose his fate, i will agree with that. however, bella hurts him not with her actions but with her words. she puts no thought into the things she says to him, she hurts him, and then when he covers for that, instead of owning up to that, she calls it his "sam face" and dismisses it. that's not fair.

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Can you give me some examples of what you're talking about?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

i could, if i had all my books. i'm basically a tiny library.

mainly you can see it in the end of new moon, and in eclipse. whenever bella refers to jacob as "sam's jacob" or that he has his "blank, sam-like face", if you read the preceding discussion, it's usually something that has hurt him. bella, with jacob, is really only concerned about her needs, her feelings, her hurts, not his. she doesn't have any understanding of him. sometimes i actually feel that edward has more.

i'm not saying she was wrong in making the choices she did make or that every time she said something that hurt him she was wrong. but what i am saying is that he didn't become bitter on his own. he's not rude out of the blue. all of this is always prompted by something.

bella has a right to her decisions and her feelings and such but so does jake. no one would ever DARE dismiss even bella's tiniest hurt, and yet bella continually says things that crush jacob, and he gets faulted for his reactions?? heck, bella broke seth's shoulder out of a bad reaction. but jake can't be a little snarky.

i just think everyone can be a little hipocritical sometimes when their favorite characters are involved. i'm sure, looking at my posts in bella's or rosalie's thread, that you could say the same of me.

shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

Jacob did alot of things that I didn't like, but he couldn't help that he liked Bella

But Nessie fixed the gaping hole that Bella left in him. Nessie fixed everything(even though everyone almost got killed because of her but that's w/e lol) Now Jacob and Edward HAVE to be friends, because if Edward had not gotten Bella pregnant, Jacob wouldn't have Nessie
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

you know i almost didn't like that nessie fixed everything. not that i don't want jacob to be happy, but it all seemed a little too easy, a bit contrived. there was no real resolution, just BAM, the problem was gone.

shape-shifter
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by shape-shifter »

It only sucks for Jacob if Nessie ends up falling for someone else
TheVampireGirl
Wandering Through Town

Post by TheVampireGirl »

shape-shifter wrote:It only sucks for Jacob if Nessie ends up falling for someone else
Yeah, but how could she? I mean, with all the love that Jake gives her it could never happen. It would be like Sam and his fiance. She would never leave him...ever. The emotions involved in being imprinted on are good ones you would never want to stray far from...ever in your life. If Nessie left Jake I have no doubt that Nessie would feel the way Bella did when Edward left and Jake would feel that same way as well.
I am team switzerland. I refuse to take part in the territorial disputes between feuding mythical creatures. Oh yeah. Thats me. Team Switzerland.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

i think that there must be something in imprint magic that makes it work out. but either way it would be hard not to love that kind of undying devotion!