Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

Agreed HOFJ. Because, unlike most boys, Edward has the physical, supernatural power to stop Bella, and he loves her more than his own existence, he would, if he had to, physically pick her up in order to stop her from going to La Push. UNLESS- she told him that she didn't want him anymore. If Bella had ever left Edward, I don't think he would control her outside of their relationship. He might have maybe given her a flat . . . or had her summoned somewhere for some reason, but not out right stopped her like he would when they were together.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

right. in the context of this book, it wasn't abusive and it worked out ok. but the action in and of itself was still wrong. in all honesty it concerns me a lot more now that i saw that quote from SM... :?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Stupidshinyvolvowner

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I want to jump in here and I may get trampled....but here we go.

Edward is new to love. He sees himself as Bella's protector, which he says multiple times. He doesn't trust werewolves. He is jealous of Jacob. He is reacting to so many things that are being thrown at him. Does he overreact, of course he does, he's Edward. I think he is truly just trying to protect her from what he sees as danger. He is naive to love and he's scared. He's reacting. I don't think he is meaning to be as controlling as he's coming off as. All he wants is for Bella to be safe. Once he is able to take a step back, he is able to let go a little and compromise with her. Is he controlling in those instances, yes. But I think it stems from his fear, his need to protect Bella and his insecurities, rather than a need to dominate her. If that makes sense.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

ahahaha first of all, malaz and i do this every once in a while, we get stuck on a point and argue about it semi-viciously for a while. there's no need to fear being trampled.

second of all i think you're right, absolutely. which is why it's not abusive.

Stupidshinyvolvowner

Phew. So you just want it understood that Edward was being controlling. Got it. Yes, I think he was a bit controlling in those scenes. But I get why :)
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

actually, originally what i wanted understood was that edward wasn't the world's best communicator and that's what i'd change about him.

then i wanted it understood that he was controlling.

now i want it understood that what he did was WRONG, but excusable under the circumstances. NOT OK, but understandable.

Stupidshinyvolvowner

Aha, I get it. And I agree with you. I originally posted that question about what you would change about Edward.

But see, I don't know if I would change any of those things, because they are such a part of who he is. and this is probably going to sound so wrong to you, but I would almost want my boyfriend to be "controlling" like Edward. Because he did it out of fear and love. I don't know, that may sound wrong, but I want a guy to love me enough to want to protect me. *shrugs*
twilightroxmysox
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightroxmysox »

/\ /\ /\ /\ I totally agree and I know what you mean. It's not like you want a guy who will be controlling and in your face and smothering. You want a guy who loves you and cares about you enough to freak out and be all protective if he thinks your in danger because he loves you. Some people might not like me for saying this but I loved the OC and Edward kinda reminds me of Ryan when he was all overprotective. I love them both. Sorry if thats off topic but yeah I know what you mean and I don't think it sounds wrong.
thanks to lalaith913 for the image

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Paste him on your sig so he can gain control!

E<3B
Stupidshinyvolvowner

Thanks twilightroxmysox....I was a bit worried that it came out sounding like I was looking for an abusive relationship, because I'm not at all. :)
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

rapidheartbeat<3twi wrote:Okay, I found a new adjective that I think is a good way to describe Edward in a lot of situations as far as why and how he makes decisions: pragmatic. It means that you're kind of no-nonsense, or as dictionary.com says,
"of or pertaining to a practical point of view or practical considerations." Totally Edward, I mean, when you mean business, you don't take any risks, i.e.have Alice kidnap Bella while you're out of town.
I completely agree. I think that a lot of Edward's circumspect behaviour comes from a place of emotion rather than logic. His actions are logically executed, but his emotional state is the primary factor regarding the motivations of his actions. Edward is a complicated man/vampire, and his inexperience when it comes to human experiences like love, tragedy, jealousy, fear, and anger definitely affects what he deems as a logical response.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B