Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Rosalie Hale

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Rosalie as an individual. Keep posts about Emmett and Rosalie's relationship to the general discussion forum in Quench Your Thirst.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.
Banner by urcoolcarrie
Twilightaddict
Settled in Forks

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by Twilightaddict »

Okay I vguess nobody has talked about Rose. I love Rose ...she can be irratating and mean at times but i found her soo hilarious in BD.....It was kind of strange how she and Bella became like Bffs all of a sudden..who agrees? but who thinks that she was just using her because she wanted her child ?? I think so but i dont wanna think that because I just love rose :D
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

I honestly don't really believe Rose was after Bella's child- she was just so happy that she had the chance to be a mom figure that it kinda over took her. I feel bad that alot of people thought she was just being selfish and wanted the kid herself when in reality all rose ever wanted was to be a mom, to have a family you know?

Sure, Rose can be self-centered, mean and irritating- but it's because of her life; how it was taken from her. I'd be pretty bitter too if i was beaten, raped, left to die by my fiancee & then woke up no longer human and never able to have a family of my own. Rose is actually kinda deep in my opinion, she just keeps to herself because she doesn't like to show her vulnerability. I did however find it strange for Bella to run to Rose- but once i realized the desperation and the seriousness of the situation it made sense. Rose really is the only one who could truly understand the desperation to want to have a child and to protect it- so it made perfect sense for Bella to cling to her and ask her for help. I also really enjoyed their newfound friendship cause it humanized Rosalie for me; she showed how much she could care for something- for the child even though it wasn't her own...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Just give me a second to mourn the loss of pages and pages of insightful character analysis from this and the other threads ...
:cry:
Okay, I can square my shoulders now and make a post.

Ironically enough, it was partly due to the Rosalie thread on the Lex that softened my opinion of Rose. As the Lex manifesto implies, Rosalie is more than just a pretty face. I find it interesting that despite Bella's perception of Rosalie in Twilight and New Moon, Rosalie is actually pretty "ordinary" as far as vampires go. I used to guess that all vampires had special abilities and that Rosalie was extra beautiful (and Emmett was extra strong), but now that we've met more vampires (and noticed the lack of the asterisk near Rosalie's name in the back of Breaking Dawn), it seems that Bella was comparing Rose to other humans and getting the wrong impression.

Rosalie's character really began to "flesh out" (pardon the pun) in Eclipse and even more so in Breaking Dawn. She provided some comic relief, since Edward and Jacob were on the same side and so there was no longer the same kind of exchanging of barbs between them.

In the old Rosalie thread, a group of us wondered about how Rosalie killed her fiance without spilling his blood or drinking his blood - Rosalie bragged about having a cleaner record than Esme on that count. (There were some great theories about that; I think I imagined that she strangled him or beat him to death with a blunt object, like a bat, so that she never was tempted). Yet, in Breaking Dawn, she threatens Jake by saying that she has killed quite a lot of people. Any thoughts on that?
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

LadyDi wrote:Just give me a second to mourn the loss of pages and pages of insightful character analysis from this and the other threads ...
:cry:
Okay, I can square my shoulders now and make a post.

Ironically enough, it was partly due to the Rosalie thread on the Lex that softened my opinion of Rose. As the Lex manifesto implies, Rosalie is more than just a pretty face. I find it interesting that despite Bella's perception of Rosalie in Twilight and New Moon, Rosalie is actually pretty "ordinary" as far as vampires go. I used to guess that all vampires had special abilities and that Rosalie was extra beautiful (and Emmett was extra strong), but now that we've met more vampires (and noticed the lack of the asterisk near Rosalie's name in the back of Breaking Dawn), it seems that Bella was comparing Rose to other humans and getting the wrong impression.

Rosalie's character really began to "flesh out" (pardon the pun) in Eclipse and even more so in Breaking Dawn. She provided some comic relief, since Edward and Jacob were on the same side and so there was no longer the same kind of exchanging of barbs between them.

In the old Rosalie thread, a group of us wondered about how Rosalie killed her fiance without spilling his blood or drinking his blood - Rosalie bragged about having a cleaner record than Esme on that count. (There were some great theories about that; I think I imagined that she strangled him or beat him to death with a blunt object, like a bat, so that she never was tempted). Yet, in Breaking Dawn, she threatens Jake by saying that she has killed quite a lot of people. Any thoughts on that?

I think she was referring to the amount of animals she's killed on the part since she says "I've killed many times more than you" or something like that. Then again maybe you're right- she did kill her fiancee along with all the guys who were with him that night and raped her *poor Rosalie* :cry: and Jacob hasn't killed any humans...
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i found rosalie's actions in BD to be despicable.
i was strangely disappointed in her, because i would defend her to my friends, but then she went and embarrassed me....gosh! :evil:
but seriously, i get that rose wanted a baby. but this wouldn't be rosalie's baby. she's risking bella's life for the chance to be an aunt?? you just got the impression the entire time that she was not doing this for bella, but for the baby. and that's just despicable, as she is letting someone die to get what she wants.
SM always said that Rose's main trait was self-centeredness and selfishness....i guess i really see that now.

here's the thing though. if it had been alice helping bella, i wouldn't have been angry, because i would have known that alice was doing it for bella, her sister, her friend. i would know that because alice is a selfless caring person.
but i also know that rose is a selfish self-serving person. so i just can't believe she finally found some great connection to bella all of a sudden.

also, i know she was thinking something along the lines of not caring if bella dies because she just wants a baby because jacob said it to edward, and edward confirmed it. and edward can read her thoughts. what more proof do you need??

regardless of her intentions, though, did anyone else find it weird that she became such a huge character so suddenly and then just sort of slipped into the background?

i know i'm probably the only one on this board who thinks this, but i found jake's blonde jokes to be a high point of the book for me.

"how do you drown a blonde" priceless.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Angeliss
Settled in Forks

Post by Angeliss »

Rosalie is my favorite character. She's so complex, with so many flaws and insecurities (yes, insecurities. You think her inability to trust comes from someone who isn't afraid of getting hurt?) and so many levels and desires. I could think/talk about her for hours on end.

I actually don't think that she's as selfish as Edward thinks she is, or Jacob, for that matter. Shocking, I know. But my reasoning is this- Rosalie has never really moved on from the time that Royce raped her. She is still an avenging angel in one sense, but a broken little girl in another, still the same person left to die in an alley. And there is a lot of emotional trauma that comes from such abuse, trauma that Emmett surely helps her deal with, but something she is still overwhelmed by. One defense mechanism is to think about shallow things. If your mind is always taken up with thoughts about clothes, about beauty and attention and everything else, there is no room for thoughts of your past, for thoughts that cause you pain. It's an escape. After seeing seventy years of Rosalie "escaping" like that, doesn't it make sense for Edward to assume that she's shallow?

It is time for her to move on and forget, I think. She's lived with this for far too long. But that takes some strength and hope that I don't think Rosalie has yet... Maybe now, as a piece of her life is almost given back to her in BD, she'll be able to move on. She was already getting better in Eclipse, now that Bella was forcing her to think about certain things, about the uselessness of her vanity, and what it was really doing.

There's a lot of thinking I've done on this topic- I want to be a counselor who specializes in trauma victims, from situations like Rosalie's. And broken characters draw me more- part of my personality.

I was surprised by her story in Eclipse. It was darker than I expected, not because I didn't discount it as possible, but because I didn't think Stephenie Meyer would have created such a dark backstory for her characters. And then I really started considering her motives and everything. Of course, I was also writing an AU fanfic at the time that made me really consider her past.

I thought that she'd gone backwards in BD for a moment, too, until I reread the section with Leah's thoughts on her actions, and realized that Edward and Jacob are really not the best at seeing Rosalie's motives in an unbiased way. There is too much at stake for them. Leah was the only one to offer Rosalie redemption.

I'm actually writing a fic from Rosalie's POV on BD, just to make myself understand... I'll probably post it pretty soon. I hope that I can get her right- I think I have, but I can't be sure... After all, I'm not the author, haha.
Team Rosalie, Team Esme, Team Emmett, Team Carlisle, Team Jacob, Team Leah, Team Charlie, Team Angela...

Dang. Why don't they make a Team Everyone?
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

I like Rose, even if she can be a pain at sometimes. She does love her family and she is loyal. She just had a really rough life and I understand where her pain comes from and the problems she had with Bella. I think Renesmee was one of the best things to happen to the Cullen Family and to Rose.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

Oh and I love her bickering with Jacob.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

AgentCross wrote:Oh and I love her bickering with Jacob.

ditto haha