Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by vampbball »

malaz wrote:
vampbball wrote: I'm so glad we're having this discussion, because I don't think it's clear while reading the series where Stephenie falls on this divide. I think whether or not vampires are objectively monsters depends on whether or not you believe humans hold a special status; that is, whether we're categorically different from animals and our lives are worthy of protection. If you don't believe this, then yeah, a lion eating a person is no big tragedy. The poor guy was hungry! If you do believe this, then you'll mourn the person who got eaten and you'll buy a big gun next time for the next lion.

I think people are special and I think that (speaking from within the Twilight universe), yes, vampires who kill people have no right to exist. If I were in the Twilight universe, I'd be working on figuring out how to breed werewolves full time. Now, Edward, Carlisle and Alice also think human life is special (Alice in Midnight Sun advises Jasper to think of humans as people to make his thirst lessen). Whereas I think I think the rest of the Cullens see us as sort of...intelligent dogs. They really would like us live well and prosper, but a human death is a pity, not a tragedy.

Malaz, I don't think we're going to agree, because I don't think you believe that humans should have a protected status. If it makes you feel any better, I don't especially like killing animals either. But in my worldview, killing an animal is just not interchangeable with killing a human.
What's the difference between a human and a vampire? What makes it right for Bella a human to exist but for Edward, a vampire to not exist?
What makes an animal's life not worth protecting vs. a human life worth protecting? isn't it a life either way, a life that's taken?
to me, whether it's a human, a dog, or vampire....they all have a soul, and if they're killed it's a life that's been taken either way. to me, there's the predator and there's the prey. vampre - human, human - animals, animals - other animals....

wait up, yes, a lion eating a person is a tragedy, the lion was hungry, yes, i call it fate...but i am more compassionate than you're giving me credit for. I'll be the sad the dude was killed and get over it, but i'll also fear for my life. Just because a vampire has a right to kill a human to me, doesn't mean i'll be waving a red flag "me me me". I mean yeah yeah, of coarse i'd want to be protected. but i am a more of "find a cure for a disease" sort of person rather than "create a missle bomb to take out the middle east or the vampire race" kind of person....

besides, the characters that are killed are non-existant. so :lol: it's not a big problem....
Werewolves are pretty dangerous too....considering how Sam was so close to killing emily...
Hi malaz. You make really good points, and actually I was thinking this morning about how point of view reframes this discussion. It's a difficult debate because while humans have natural predators, we don't have unkillable natural predators; we're still effectively at the top of the food chain. But I was thinking that maybe your point is that the vampire has the right to try to kill the human and the human has the right to try to defend herself as best she can (ha). It's hard for me to step out of my human point of view, but I hope that even if I were to someday become a supernatural predatory creature, I'd still think humans were worthy of that special protection. (I also agree with HOFJ that vampires and humans are similar enough that preying on humans seems to border on cannibalism.)

One more thought: Carlisle believed that vampires were so monstrous that he tried to kill himself numerous times rather than exist as one. That's a powerful statement on his feelings.

But on the other hand...he did create four new vampires and he had no way of knowing ahead of time that they would share his feelings on the matter. That's a lot of lives to put at risk.

Thanks for the discussion!
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Thanks for the compliments, guys. :D

You know, vampball, you pointed something interesting here. If the vampires Carlisle created didn't actually agreed in following his style of life, he would have created MORE predators, putting lots of people in risk.

On the other hand, for dozens of vampires who just follow their instincs, there are others, like the Denali Clan and now Garret, who choose to try. Maybe not for the same noble reasons. But it takes a lot of courage to deny your own nature and intincts. Edward tried to combine two styles of life - justice and nature. But a life is a life and, in Edward's head, he did crossed a line. I don't think he can ever forgive himself for what he did. But he can try love himself a bit more, in order to be a good father and a good husband. He's different because things are different.
edwardislove
Wandering Through Town

Post by edwardislove »

E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:
E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:
E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:I LOVEEEEEEE EDDDDDDDDDDDWWARRRRD.! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Okay. Now that THAT's off my chestt... :lol:
I like edwards loving personality.
He has a charming taste that triggers every girls attention.
I love how he feels protective of Bella. He doesn't just love her. He loves her in a protective way and I love that about him. :D
ITA with everything you said!
Chantell
Yeahhh! Edward lovers unite =)
Yep! I also can't help but like the fact that SM makes it clear that they all have flaws. It makes even the vampires seem"human"LOL!
Chantell
Haha!
I know.
I absolutley love SM. She's amazing. I'm currently reading 'The Host' by her. I've already read the saga three times.. in a row. :) I think I'll go again after i'm done with the host. :)
She seems really cool! Did you like all the books and the movie? I hope she starts a new series about Renessemee and Jacob. It sounds like SM doesn't really plan how many books she's gonna write, she just goes with the flow. And I've heard some rumors, that she defintly IS gonna finish Midnight Sun!
Chantell
I lovee the books. The movie was pretty amazing too, not as good though.
ME TOO. I would read it. :) I know i love that.
AND I KNOW I'M EXCITED :D
E♥B

"Does she even like Italian?" (Rosalie)
"Her name's Bella. I'm sure she'll love it." (Emmett)
E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by E&BForever »

edwardislove wrote:
E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:
E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:
E&BForever wrote:
edwardislove wrote:I LOVEEEEEEE EDDDDDDDDDDDWWARRRRD.! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Okay. Now that THAT's off my chestt... :lol:
I like edwards loving personality.
He has a charming taste that triggers every girls attention.
I love how he feels protective of Bella. He doesn't just love her. He loves her in a protective way and I love that about him. :D
ITA with everything you said!
Chantell
Yeahhh! Edward lovers unite =)
Yep! I also can't help but like the fact that SM makes it clear that they all have flaws. It makes even the vampires seem"human"LOL!
Chantell
Haha!
I know.
I absolutley love SM. She's amazing. I'm currently reading 'The Host' by her. I've already read the saga three times.. in a row. :) I think I'll go again after i'm done with the host. :)
She seems really cool! Did you like all the books and the movie? I hope she starts a new series about Renessemee and Jacob. It sounds like SM doesn't really plan how many books she's gonna write, she just goes with the flow. And I've heard some rumors, that she defintly IS gonna finish Midnight Sun!
Chantell
I lovee the books. The movie was pretty amazing too, not as good though.
ME TOO. I would read it. :) I know i love that.
AND I KNOW I'M EXCITED :D
Well, the movie is hardly EVER as good as the book. Liked it though. I also would read MS!
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

man all of these boxes/quotes are making my head hurt.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
spicey16
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by spicey16 »

I think that if something is killed inorder for another thing to live (IE. humans and cows) then its justified in a way. Like "the circle of life". No one knows why vamps crave human blood but fact is they do and they have to have it to survive. so in that light i think they have a right to kill people. maybe we can sign them up to take care of death row. my point is, humans see everything else as insignificant and "ours for the taking" Vamps, even edward cullen (midnightsun), see humans as insignificant (except for their need to eat them) If i have a right to eat a steak then vamps should have a right to eat me. Not that i'm volunteering.
E&BForever

Post by E&BForever »

spicey16 wrote:I think that if something is killed inorder for another thing to live (IE. humans and cows) then its justified in a way. Like "the circle of life". No one knows why vamps crave human blood but fact is they do and they have to have it to survive. so in that light i think they have a right to kill people. maybe we can sign them up to take care of death row. my point is, humans see everything else as insignificant and "ours for the taking" Vamps, even edward cullen (midnightsun), see humans as insignificant (except for their need to eat them) If i have a right to eat a steak then vamps should have a right to eat me. Not that i'm volunteering.
I think your probably right. ;)
Chantell
Team Edward for life!
Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner »

I"m sure this is debate is a large part of why SM made the Cullen's vegetarians. I mean, if they did hunt people instead of animals, I don't think we would be anywhere near as in love with them as we all are. It would be MUCH harder to relate to them.
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

"If i have a right to eat a steak then vamps should have a right to eat me. Not that i'm volunteering."

:lol: Love it.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
E&BForever

Post by E&BForever »

Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote:I"m sure this is debate is a large part of why SM made the Cullen's vegetarians. I mean, if they did hunt people instead of animals, I don't think we would be anywhere near as in love with them as we all are. It would be MUCH harder to relate to them.
ITA with you!! :D
Chantell
Team Edward for life!