Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ShootingStar
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by ShootingStar »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
I definitely can see why she's terrified, but to be completely honest, the reason I'd be scared is because I'd thinki everyone would be saying that I was pregnant behind my back or something. Because honestly, that's what would happen. I wouldn't like my relationship to be dragged through the mud like that even if it was just in the eyes of other people by them saying that a wedding would never work out so young and such.

Then again, Bella has already decided to become immortal and spend eternity with Edward, so marriage isn't much to ask really. I wouldn't be scaared of the commitment, if I found my Edward, I'd be like, I WANT A WHITE DRESS. But I'd still be terrified of my, gulp, public image, PLEASE DON'T HATE ME!

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I thought this was, AMAZING! Because you culd finally feel the passion between them being expressed, and the way SM describes it, it really illustrates the struggle going on in Edwards head. I love how it was more sensual than just downright sexual, so it didn't trascend into stupid teenagery sex talk.

I think it's cool they decided to go for it, I love the way it shows Edward will do anything to keep her happy, it just makes me love him even more...sighh...*fans self*

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?

Edward will always have a soul, because his soul has found its other half. Case closed =].
"I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me." - Bella, first day of school. =]

Don't you know who you are, you're my shooting star.
E <3 B.

DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
I can see her perspective, but I mean seriously. This is her soulmate; her one true love. And he's a vampire for crying out loud! Why should she let the opinions of some insignifigant humans affect her decision? Yes, it would affect my decision, but I'm not the one engaged to a vampire.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I love the way SM describes it. I also love that Edward and Bella in general seem like adults, and not like teenagers at all. (Was that even relative to the question?) I think that Bella has a right to demand this from Edward, however I didn't think Edward would give in so easily.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
I'm with Bella; vampires most definately have souls.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

Yes I can see why. Especially with the stuff she got from her mother. Which turned out to not be about Bella after all. But still. Marriage can be scary all on it's own. I would be afraid of marriage than I would be of vampires.

:o :? The intimacy afterward was OK. The sex thing while she was still human is something different. Since I love the books I was like go for it. But if I was thinking like Jacob did in the book then, yeah, that would be bad.

I think that if one had no soul then they could not have compassion or love. Or an conscience. It is hard enough when you see humans that do have a soul and still have none of that. Since we are talking about these books then I think they have some kind of soul even if it isn't the same as a human soul. Does that make since?
Renesmee_Bella
Red-Eyed Vampire
Location: In Ohio, waiting for Edward to come through the window.....

Post by Renesmee_Bella »

1) Well, yes, of course. Bella was raised by her mother who got married right out of high school and a year later she had a child and then her marriage ended. Would it have lasted longer if they had waited? Maybe. That's why Bella was afraid to get married. She was raised to think that marriage before 30 was a horrible thing to do. If I were to find someone like Edward...I'd have to be crazy NOT to marry him.

2) I mean, they are in love and I'm not talking regular love, you know? It's out of this world, can't live without him kind of love. I think that if I was in love with someone like that, and if I were in the exact same position,(unsure of myself after a painful transformation) I would want to make the most of my last human days. Making love wih someone I love more than life even if he's not human, eh sure. If I really loved him.

3) Do I think Edward has a soul? Yes, of course I do. He is the sweetest, most kind and thoughtful person I have ever met and a if a person like that doesn't have a soul then no one does, not even me.

♥~*Proud Member/Founder of The Mookie Adams Family*~♥
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age? I totally can understand why Bella is afraid to get married especially at age 18. After what her parents went through I would think anyone would be kind of leary of it. Also my mom got married at a young age & it wasn't exactly the best.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human? I was a little surprised at first. But I actually found Bella's attempts to seduce Edward rather funny. I think that it was a good compromise for them.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls? Well considering I'm a religous person I would say yes. I agree w/Bella on this subject.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Britta
Settled in Forks

Post by Britta »

I don't think, that the failed marriage of her parents is the point why she doesn't want to marry him. In my opinion she doesn't want to become his wife, because it's a typical Bella-thing. She wants everyone to be satisfied. She wants to please everyone. I think it's more her fear to see Renee - knowing she regrets her marriage with Charlie - and Charlie - knowing he doesn't think that Edward is the man she should have such a deep and strong relationship with - disappointed than her own belief, because she KNOWS that she wants to be with him as long as she will exist.
None of those points would affect my decision. My parents married at the age of 18 and 19 and got divorced 2 years later. Nonetheless I would have married my husband at the age of 21, but he didn't want to :D
I'm not the kind of girl who wants to please everyone. I'm living my life and not the life of someone else, so I make my decisions, because I think that it's best for me. Some kind of selfish, hum? :)

I was really surprised that Edward changed his mind concerning that point. How I feel? Hard to say, on the one hand I'm feeling nearly as excited as Bella does on the other hand I'm worried if Edward could hurt her. I don't think that I would be brave enough to try it.

Yes of course! If god allows humans to turn into vampires why shouldn't he allow them to keep their souls?!
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I would be the same way. No matter how great the guy - I wouldn't want to deal with the judgement of those around me and the disappointment of my parents. There are stereotypes that go along with that kind of behavior, and even if I knew the way Bella knows that I would be with the guy forever, other people still carry those stereotypes around and would throw them at me. I'd want to wait. Edward makes a very good case, though. I'd do it for him. ;)

LOVE IT. I had to reread this several times just to get my fill. I definitely see why Edward is afraid that it is too dangerous. But I think that he has slowly mastered his self control in so many other ways - this is just one more thing that he could build up to and ultimately conquer. I mean he went from wanting to kill her to being able to kiss her throat and mash her body to his...I think he could improve even further.

Considering that we will never know the answer to this question, for many reasons including the nonexistence of vampires and the inexplainable and untouchable definition of a soul, I'm going to go ahead and say yes.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Yes, she's afraid of what other people thing rather than what she thinks. I think that if I was in passionate, die-for-them, cant-be-without-them love, I would definately get married at a young age.
I trust my gut feelings.

I was soo happy :D I love to see them act on their love in a more serious way. I thought that Edward would find a way to control himself.. because he loves her. :S I thought it was so cutee

Yes!! How can he not have one? He is loving, sweet... I could go on forever. There is no question when it comes to whether he has one. He does. Hes got too much emotion to not have one. If he didn't then he couldn't possibly love.. and he wouldn't be able to love so much, that it takes over his entire life(existance, whatever!)
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Yes-- she's afraid of what other people will think about her decision. I think it's hard not to let it impact my decision -- they must feel that way for a reason.

Oh goodness. *swoon* much?? I thought their decision was risky, but understandable, at least from Bella's perspective. She wants to feel as close to Edward as possible before she is all distracted by bloodlust.

In looking at regular vampires, one would think not. But the fact Carlisle has such a strong sense of right & wrong, and is so kind it's hard to think he would be soul-less. So...maybe? How's that for a non-answer.

Image Image Image
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I can definetly see why Bella would let what other people think affect her decision, especially what Charlie and Renee will think. I really wouldn't care what anyone but my family thought. If I was really truly in love with the person then they would support my decision anyway.

I wasn't surprised that their intimacy jumped up a notch here. They are completely alone, what would anyone else do if they were given the chance to be completely alone with the one they love? lol. I guess I kind of expected it because they have been so close and together so long. I think it's ok for them to try and make love while she is human. Edward has been able to control himself and even tame his thirst in order to be around her so I think he can handle himself in more intimate ways as well.

I like to think he has a soul. They don't have the soul sucked out of them when they are transformed. Yes his body has technically shut down and died, but he is still capable of being a good person. If a person didn't have a soul I don't think they would have the capability to be a good person. I guess you could have a "bad" soul but then I think those people would be able to do anything and live their life with no regrets. Edward regrets the bad things hes done, and he tries his best to be good now, so yes I think he has a soul.