Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 20 ~ Compromise

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
Yes, I can see it. She's afraid of what everyone else will think about her. Especially her mother. But that should not matter. If she is sure about Edward and sure that she wants to be with him for ever, that is the only thing that matters. I have been with the same guy for ten years now (since I was 19), so the second half of the question does not really apply to me. But I did move far away to live with him when I was not much older than Bella, and I didn't really care what other people meant.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I loved that they were becoming more intimate with eachother. It was the natural progress of their relationship. I didn't think that Edward would give in so easily. But I always thought that Edward was getting more and more control of himself, so I believed that he would not hurt her. And he wants it as much as she does, he has just had to be the responsible one. Anyway, I wanted them to try, while she was still human.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
Hard question for me to answer, since I am not a religious person. But what I mean when I think about someone having a soul, is some core inside oneself. Our thoughts and our personalities. Something that is distinct for that one person. And I definitely believe that Edward has that. He has this wonderful personality, he has a sense of moral and he is a good person. He is capable of never-ending love, of compassion. So yes, using my defintion of soul, Edward has one, like the rest of us.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
I can see her point but I find it irrelevant to her situation. She is trying to live someone else’s world view and not her life. That is why or rather how she decides to walk her own path.

The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
Intimacy is one of the primary parts of love. The share moments, the longing to be with them and the exhalation that comes with intimacy with a love one is beyond measure. By the way this is one of the best chapters in all four books.

Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
Vampires are by definition minions of the Damn. They are servants of the dark one himself. Even with, his self denial, and strong desire to find the best path with what life has to offer him does not give him a soul. That is forfeit by the transformation. Life is not fair.

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age? No not really had I met my husband in high school we probably would have gotten married sooner but we didn't meet until the summer after high school so we got married 2 years later before he even graduated from college. So I don't understand her animosity at all.

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human? I giggled with how uncomfortable she was like she made it into a business transaction or something it was cute. I understand why she wanted to try before turning. She's scared she will loose her desire to be with him after. She wants to be able to hold onto the way he makes her feel. I am surprised he agreed but I think it will help to stop feeling like suck a monster when he realizes he can control himself and not hurt her.

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?In this vampire tale yes. I've read others were the vampire do not. But in Stephenie's world they do. I would say that only the animal hunting vampires do but in Breaking Dawn I believe many of the other human killing vampires have souls. I should add that to me your soul is your conscience. So in our world I believe there are many soulless humans out there, unfortunately.
swanlady
Settled in Forks

Post by swanlady »

Edward and all the cullens "feel" it is wrong to kill people. they know right from wrong and do what they can to always do the right thing. therefore have a soul. i also feel that cullens dad being a preacher helped a lot here too. even if it was extreme
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age?
I can see why, but I'm surprised she cares about what everyone else thinks. I am young, almost 21 and about to get married. Living in the south it is just one of those things you grow up wishing. Get married out of high school and start a family. Although, I'm out of college have a very good job and don't want to start a family till at least 3 years after i'm married. So don't judge ppl!!!

2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human?
I loved this chapter..so funny kept me on the edge of my seat. I can't see Bella's point and Edward's point equally. I love how SM tried to set a good example for the younger reader's..wait till marriage. See there are guys that will wait till marriage!!!

3. Again the question arises about Edward having a soul. What do you think about this subject? Do vampires have souls?
I'm w/ Bella. I beleive he has a soul, maybe a different type. He is still somewhat close to human. As we see his personality evolve through Bella's pov I def. think he has a soul.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

yes, i can actually. i'd be very scared even in a small town like that.

for me it was a bit ackward. it was a very different atmosphere and somehow it didnt match the bella and edward i had created in my head. :?

yes! everyone has a soul reagaurdless of what/who/and thing else you are!
Betting on Alice.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

No, nope I'd marry Edward Cullen...I mean my ture love...at any age.

It was the natrual next step and I loved it. I thought it was crazy but what Bella wanted.

I think it's a good subject that needs to be answered, and I think they do.
**Kathryn**
anisah loves vamps
Settled in Forks

Post by anisah loves vamps »

i just wanted to say first...bella was really annoying in most of this book

1. Can you see why Bella is afraid to marry Edward? Is it something that would affect your decision to get married at a young age? If she believe that her love for Edward..is never ending..then why would marrige effect that..i wouldnt marry young because i havent seen enough as a younger person..i woulnd have had enough experience
2. The intimacy level between Edward and Bella really jumps up a notch here. How did you feel about that? How do you feel about their decision to try to make love while Bella was still human? im happy bella got to experience that as a human..but when she became a vamp im sure it was even better..she wasnt sure wether or not she would feel the same so she wanted to experince that b4..go gurl
i think all people things have a soul..no matter what..if it thinks and belives and resonds it has a soul
Vampire Lover since 2002
Jrm2492
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jrm2492 »

Yes I do. I mean Renee obviously preached it to Bella a lot and she's obviously afriad of what she's going to say. As for affecting my decision, I'm not really sure. I've only had one boyfriend and we weren't serious but I think if I truly loved the person my parents would be completly fine with it.

I think its a great step in their relationship. I also didn't think Edward would give into Bella so easily since he had always had drawn a line at how far their phyiscal relationship could go.

I think that if you are capable of an strong a emotion like love, then you do have a soul. I think if Edward didn't have a soul then he wouldn't be able to show that level of love and commitment to Bella.
I'm Jenna
ImageImage
Banner and Avi by me
"When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Yeah I can see why, especially for someone like Bella who doesn't really liked being the centre of attention etc. And getting married at 18 in a small town like Forks is definately gonna have people goissiping about you! And on top of that, she's worried about what her mom and dad will think, so I can see why she is afraid. If I were in the same position, I might feel similar, especially if I was so young.

I liked this chapter. I liked how Bella seemed to take control and decided that she wanted to sleep with Edward while she was still human, and how they came to their comprimise. I thought it was a perfectably reasonable request of Bella's, but I also think Edward was right to be wary. And I think it is really sweet that Edward wants to be married first!

I have no idea. In more "traditional" vampires, I'd say that they didn't, cos thats what the traditional vampire stories always told you. But in the Twilight world, I'm not sure. I think that the Cullen's do, because they don't kill people. But the other vampires do, so do they have souls too? Hmm, not sure!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!