Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 12 ~ Time

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to December for her help with the questions!

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Chapter 12 ~ Time

Post by museicalking »

1. Why is Edward now willing to change Bella into a vampire (provided she marries him) after being dead set against it for so long?

Edward was always that guy. He'll do whatever he can do to get bella's hand, even this.

2. Why is it still so important to him that she marry him before he changes her? Is there more to this than a strategy to delay her?

I dont think so. He's just compromising. :mrgreen:

3. Why is Bella so panicked at the thought of marrying Edward? Is there more to her reaction than she is saying? Does she actually understand her own reasons completely?

Bella wasnt always the one to want to marry. She's not that girl. Her reaction was reasonable for her.

4. After the epiphanies of NM, how could Edward still imagine being immortal was more important to Bella than her love for him?

Edward normally has a one-tracked mind, as Bella. He thinks he loves Bella more than she to him; the epiphanies , in my opinion werent as "true" as maybe bella saw them. Bella knows her love for edward is more important than him being immortal. Edward has to let go of that.

5. Edward says that changing Bella is the most selfish thing he will ever do. Why is he nevertheless prepared to do it? Is this morally weak of him?

Selfish, cause he believes that bella could do better when bella doesnt. He's prepared to this for marriage, for his first love- something he's always wanted.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
thecrimsonrose
Settled in Forks

Post by thecrimsonrose »

because he knows she will go to carlisle who will do it for her anyway and he wants to be the one, so his venom will change her
i also think its because hes old fashioned and won't do anything with her till their married
her parents had always warned her aboout yound marraige and she worries about what people will say
i don't think he even believes how much she loves him until right at the end of breaking dawn when she lets him into her mind
he wants to give her what she wants and in the end its to save her life
Didn't Edward tell you how many houses me and Rose wrecked?-Emmett, Breaking Dawn
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

Thanks to December for her help with the questions!

because everyone agreed with bella's choice to become one after the volturi has made it clear that she has to be, and edward is her man, he can't let someone else do that to her where they might lose control.

i think it's a delay in some part but he's an old-fashioned type of person, and he loves her! of course he'll want to marry her.

i think most of her reservations come from trying to save other people from getting hurt, not the whole marriage to edward part. she doesn't want to upset her mother, who warned her about early marriage. She doesn't want her dad to freak out. And she doesn't want her best friend's heart to break any more.

i think he's just like that, he doesn't see himself as anything that is good for her, and he still doesn't believe her love is as strong as his is. he only realizes how much she cares when she lets him read her thoughts in the last book.

he's only prepared to do it because he wouldn't have anyone else do that to her like i said, and because it's what she wants and what will save her from the volturi. i dont think it's morally weak at all. and it may be selfish but he still tried to stop her from wanting to be a vampire for a long time although it probably would have been easier for him to be with her.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

I think there is a lot to this. Not only will the Volturi hunt her down if they don't, but the majority of the family voted to change her, including Edward's role model, Carlisle. In addition to this, it makes sense and is the only way he can literally be with Bella forever, and he's known for a long time that she was aware of what she'd be giving up when she changed. I think he wanted her to be his wife as much as she wanted to be a vampire and so he decided to use the situation to his advantage. :)

I think there is. He won't sleep with her in order to protect both his and her 'virtue'...

I think she just has a bad example in her life and was convinced her parents would think ill of her. However, I was pretty ticked that she made such a big deal of it. If you're willing to give up your mortality to be with someone, you should be willing to marry them.

Because Edward is a lot less self-assured that I think he likes to put on. Besides, the whole Jake thing probably screwed with his head a whole lot.

It's the 'most selfish thing' because it would give him every single thing he's ever wanted. A true companion for eternity. I don't think it's morally weak of him at all; I'd only think this if he did it against her will.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

There is a lot more at stake by not changing her. Alice foresaw the change and she showed Aro so now there is an added threat by the Volturi checking to see if Bella has been changed or not. There's more danger to Bella if she remains a human and Edward doesn't want her in any danger - he doesn't want to lose her. Edward wants Bella by his side forever (which I think he realized more after the incident in Italy) and he knows the only way to have her forever is to make her a vampire. There is also the fact that Edwards wants to marry Bella and he wants her to remain human for as long as she can so by Edward himself willing to change Bella, it gives him the upper hand.

There is more to it than just the delay to keep her human. A lot of it comes from Edward's background and how he was raised. It's old fashioned & romantic!

I don't think that she completely understands her reasons. In this day and age, it's different for younger people to get married and Bella gets that. She doesn't want to be that girl who gets married right out of high school and starts having kids. Also, Bella didn't exactly have the greatest role models for marriage gone right as she was growing up. Although it is an interesting conflict..she's ready to spend, quite literally, eternity with Edward but thought of marriage scares her? Isn't that ironic?

He's never felt this way for someone before and he's unsure of what to believe. There's also the added conflict with Jacob. Edward is still willing to give up Bella if that is what she wants. I think he still has a hard time believing that Bella truly loves him as much as he love her.

He's prepared to do it if Bella wants him to. He's give Bella anything she asked of him. I don't necessarily think of him being morally weak. He's just picking and choosing his battles :) and he knows that if he doesn't do it than someone else, Carlisle, Alice, or the Volturi will. May as well be him.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. She obviously won't take no for an answer, so it is hard for Edward not to change Bella. So they might as well get marryed anyway. He is also probably doing it to protect her, mainly.

2. It may be a delay, or maybe Bella will chnage her mind.

3. She is very young, so that may be a reason. I never fully understood myself why she wouldn't want to marry Edward.

4. She does always bring up wanting to be a vampire, maybe even more than she tells Edward she loves him.

5. He is probably afraid to lose control and hurt or kill her.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I think it's because he realized once he thought that she had died....how hurt he was-that he couldn't live with himself knowing she wasn't breathing. So what I figure is that once she died of old age, he would try to die too.
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

I think he knows that she really wants to change and that she won't except no!! she will have it done...and he probably really wants her to have her way!! he also things his condition will help postpone things a bit, because she truely wants him to!

I think both!! he explains he would have been "that boy" I think it is important to him - and a HUMAN thing she would not miss...but I also think he knows she doesn't want to approach her parents and actually do it yet, THAT is what he is hoping will delay things!

I think she is worried about her parents, mostly ... she is willing to be with Edward forever in every way if she turns...marriage is a bit more human than she wants to be...plus, she doesnt' want to have to deal with her parents and a Day that surely would be ALL about Bella, not in her nature!

thoughts are thoughts, everyone has them, even the mosted loved could very possibly question others love - i can't say its human...since edward isn't - maybe a natural thing...he could just be triple checking! ;)

In his heart he loves bella, and he knows he wants her forever I think he fully WANTS to keep her forever and thus prepared to do it - besides the fact she has made it QUITE clear she will find someone that will if he doesn't! But at the same time, he really doesn't want to rob Bella of her human things...I think his actions are super sweet!! he really does seem to put Bella first, but still aches at what he wants as well!! what a delimma!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

Oh... it's hard to answer this when you know... okay. I'd just say, when I firt read the book... it just seemed like destiny.

I think marriage is important to Edward becuse it's a human way to say "Forever"

I really do think Bella's subconcious just caught up with her concious mind. Like a smack in the forehead.

At this point, all I can say is Edward is Edward.

No way - it's not weak! We all do selfish things all the time. I think it is so strong of Edward to admit his feelings. That's what I love about him.
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!