Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jlbower79
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by jlbower79 »

emurlee! wrote:The movie was a fab as fabbity fab gets, all I can say to Robert Pattinson...I'd tap dat.

well there's a way to put it... um yeah.
is CRYING over her "Doesn't anyone ♥ ME?" button.
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER *DRIVER*
heartofmp*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by heartofmp* »

Sooo....I was kind of excited, but a little worried at the same time about the movie. I was expecting a little fan reaction from the crowd since I did go see the midnight release of Twilight, but boy...any time Rob cam up.... "hahahahahaha"...*sigh* so that made me agitated and I nitpicked the whole movie for anything that was wrong...

But anyways after I got over my reaction to people, (maybe I shouldn't have went then, I knew what the reaction would be...lol I'll do it again though with New Moon and be the exact same way anyways ;) ) and actually started looking at the movie itself..it wasn't half bad-not what I really expected, but not bad either! I thought it was funny how they framed Edward with the wings of the owl in the classroom-like an angel lol. His reactions were a bit over-the-top but eh *shrug* I ADORED Charlie in the movie, I had an altogether different picture in my head for him but thats changed now, he may have been one of the best characters in the movie!! The scene I hated the most was the meadow scene...it was supposed to be a sweet thing, like a date...and it was made into some weird angry thing "YOU NEED TO SEE WHAT I LOOK LIKE IN THE SUN!!!! :evil: " (something like that anyways..) and in the book it was one of the best chapters...so sweet. But I loved the scene they added when the Cullens were making Bella Italian food...it fit right in in my mind, something I could see them doing. The baseball scene was awesome, I really liked it! My bf though leaned over and asked me "ok,so why do they need thunder?" even after the first person hit the ball...I had to giggle at him lol. I loved Victoria in the movie too, the second time I saw the movie, I spotted her at the prom just standing around, inside (not her staring out the window,but before that) So then I played like "wheres Victoria" and found her like 2 times at prom...I can't wait to see how she is in New Moon....I also noticed all the gaps in the movie...and it kind of got me that Bella asked "so do you have to be dying to..." before Edward even said anything about him dying, it just seemed backwards to me. But....the Lion/Lamb quote made me soo happy-they put the whole quote in like I was hoping the would!

I could probably keep going on and on, but I'll stop there ;)

Overall I think the first time I saw it I gave it a 5/10. Just because I hated the fact that I couldn't watch my movie in peace and not hear laughing when it was obviously not funny (I was PMSing at the time so it could have explained why I got so mad about that lol)
But the second time-9/ 10 :) I felt better about it and I watched it as a "movie" and tried to not compare it to the book as much and that helped a lot lol

(ps-go Summit, they had a big crowd to please and they did their best to condense a book down to a 2 hour movie, you can't always please everyone but they did their best. I'm sure all us twihards would have sat there and watched a movie with the dialog of the book exactly, but that would take way longer than 2 hours, and they wouldn't have gotten anybody else out to see the movie and make money :P)
lara
Settled in Forks

Post by lara »

I saw the movie THREE times this weekend, and like all of you I was bouncing in my seat and freaking out when they showed the Cullens for the first time (squeeeeeeeeeee!). It felt like such a relief to finally see these beloved characters come to life!

I have majormajor problems with the pacing and editing of this movie, that is my chief complaint. Everything felt so abbreviated and disjointed. I know they have to leave out so much of the exposition of a novel when adapting it to film, but I feel they could've done a better job at fitting those leftover pieces together. We don't really see them fall in love... they just do.

I agree with those that said non-book fans would feel lost. And, in fact, two of my non-book friends went along once and said they didn't understand a lot of it, namely why I'm so nuts about the Twilight world in the first place. I felt sad and also embarrassed that they didn't "see" the appeal of these characters and this story that we've all fallen in love with.

Obviously I loved it enough to go back again (and again). I really enjoyed the new cooking scene, baseball was fantastic (though they could've spread them out and sped them up more to emphasize their skills), and I really got over my qualms about the casting (namely Nikki and Liz), although I felt like the hospital scene in Forks must've been the last one filmed, since it seemed only then that Kristen hit her stride and really got into character.

It bothered me that they left out Carlisle's story with the Volturi (or Alice's, though not really relevant to the saga in general), and no mention of Jasper's gift. Isn't that more relevant than some randomly added character getting killed? Or some inane field trip? Neither of those things propelled the story enough to leave out those essential details. For some reason it annoys me that they ate at the diner rather than Bella cooking for Charlie. It's like a key point of her personality, taking care of others' needs before her own, worry about everyone else instead of herself...

I just feel that these omissions are too great to have overlooked, and so vital to the story that I don't know how they'll make up for it in the future.

Overall, I do like the film. I probably won't coerce my husband into watching it with me when I buy the dvd, though. And I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this experience -- and hopefully a bigger budget -- will make New Moon a better adaptation.
Last edited by lara on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My apologies, dog." - Edward Cullen, Eclipse
heartofmp*

Post by heartofmp* »

and no mention of Jasper's gift.
I forgot that, that was supposed to be a pretty big part of the book, ok not monumental(sp) or anything but when Edward said Alice can see the future...I was waiting on him to say and Jasper can control the emotions of those around him... :| I don't understand why they didn't put that in..or at least mention it?
t_feva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by t_feva »

loved the movie, saw it 3 times. was it as good as the book? no, but it was a very good interpretation of it. :D
scenes i loved:
when bella walks into biology and edward gets a whiff of her. i had to laugh at edwards reaction but it really was how i pictured it.
at the end when edward and jacob stare each other down before edward and bella head inside to the prom. it gave me goosebumps. i look forward to seeing how new moon turns out.
characters that surprised me:
charlie. billy burke did a great job.
victoria. rachel was awesome playing a badass. much badder than james.
scenes that could of been better:
the meadow scene. i know theres a time limit and maybe they didnt want it to be too mushy, but i just feel it shoulda been more romantic and sweeter.

i'm getting really angry by the critics who say the movie wasnt good and asking where the fangs were and all the blood and gore. in my opinion, unless you read the book, you shouldnt be able to give your negative opinion of the movie or criticize it. :x
Last edited by t_feva on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teamtaycob.webs.com
twitter.com/tfeva1
#1twi-guy

Post by #1twi-guy »

The movie was simply amazing. I loved loved loved it.
I have so much to talk about, that I don't think it'll fit in this post. Haha
Just pm me if you want to know some of the scenes I liked, and the others I didn't.

But overall, the movie was exactly what we've all been waiting for :mrgreen:

The original twi-guy.
While people obsess over Edward, I have a thing for Alice. Hehe
crepuscule
Settled in Forks

Post by crepuscule »

Ok. I really didn't like the flashback scenes.... notably the scene where Carlisle bit Edward! WTF? Edward was supposed to be on his death bed... he was supposed to look very sick, at nearing literal death right. Well Carlisle goes in for the bite.... and Edward shoots awake... eyes wide and terrified and he is like kinda screaming but like... he looks like a monster ahhaha... I can't even describe it... it was so wrong.... it was so off.
I completely agree. I thought the acting in that scene was horrible. Sorry Rob! (I still love you! :D ) Edward was supposed to look very sick, probably sweaty and on the brink of death. Instead, his hair was perfectly done and he looked peaceful, as if he was just taking a nap. And yes, Carlisle looked more like he was attacking him than saving him.
The only other thing I wasn't sure about.... is when Edward was sucking the Venom out of Bella towards the end..... it was just so akward. Carlisle had to stop Edward and remind him...... But I thought Edward would find that strength on his own.
Again, I totally agree and that bothered me too.

Also, why did Carlisle stop Edward when he was fighting with James and said something like "remember who you are"? I really didn't understand why he said that, especially since the other Cullens proceeded to kill the darn guy! Can someone explain?
For some reason it annoys me that they ate at the diner rather than Bella cooking for Charlie. It's like a key point of her personality, taking care of others' needs before her own, worry about everyone else instead of herself...
I agree x3. :)
Find the most beautiful Twilight jewelry (Bella Bracelets, HUGE crystal heart necklaces etc.) at http://www.norianesbijoux.etsy.com

caro1998
Settled in Forks

Post by caro1998 »

I went and saw it for the second time today. And like many others, I liked it much better the 2nd time around. It was quite helpful that I went in the afternoon, so there was half the amount of people, and almost everyone there was 18+ -and if they weren't, they were very well behaved(- there was no shrieking or talking)! It made a big difference. Plus I knew what to expect.

That being said, there were a lot of the characters' mannerisms and facial expressions (Edwards smirk when he first enters the cafeteria comes to mind) that would be lost on those who did not read the books. Which kinda stinks for them...this really was an omage (sp?) to the fans. And the meadow scene still ticked me off. Other than the meadow scene...I REALLY enjoyed it. Especially the end...I loved how Edward had Bella dancing on his toes just like in the book. Also, IMHO, I think Edward was portrayed as a gentlemen; so much so that my aunt noticed and remarked on it- and she has not read the books. He held the doors open for bella,(ran to open them like in the book) helped her with her sweater when she came to his house, he even lifted her up the stairs during the prom scene! etc. I think anymore of that would have been overkill.

I am very interested to see how the next movie will turn out....I think they have set up for it very well.
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

jlbower79 wrote:
emurlee! wrote:The movie was a fab as fabbity fab gets, all I can say to Robert Pattinson...I'd tap dat.

well there's a way to put it... um yeah.

XD ditto. I almost peed in the cafeteria scene when he walks in but i kept my mouth SHUT lol i didn't wanna ruin it for anyone. It was so funny though, cause the second he opened the door everyone screamed BLOODY MURDER and it fell silent as a tomb after 3 seconds mahaha i love Twilight fans XD
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
liberal_hippie
Wandering Through Town

Post by liberal_hippie »

I have another gripe about Bella, since someone mentioned the cooking. She was hardly clumsy at all! She only fell the one time on the ice, then she smacked Jacob with the car door, and that was it. When they were up in the tree I thought maybe they would have her start to fall so he could save her, but nope. They also left out the conversation about Bella being the adult in the relationship with her mom. If I didn't know those things about Bella from the book, I would never have gotten them at all.

Yes, it was rushed rushed rushed. I wonder what Stephanie thinks about it, though I am sure she is not allowed to publicly say anything negative. By the way, is she in the movie? I could swear I saw her in one of the diner scenes. I need to look it up on IMDB.

Oh yeah, also weird that they took the mystery killings out of New Moon and put them in Twilight huh? That's going to steal some thunder if they make a New Moon movie.