Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Adam
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Worried About the Twilight Movie

Post by Adam »

mrsedwardcullen wrote:I know that the movie can't live up to the books in any way. And I do think that the actors/ actresses who were cast could have been a little different. That doesn't mean that I won't go see it though. I am definitely not going to be re-reading the series any time near November because then I know it will be a lost cause. But turning books into movies is always a sticky situation. I commend the cast and crew for at least attemtping it. It must be very hard trying to please everybody and I am still excited for the movie to come out and can't wait!
I'm also exited to see the movie. You're absolutely right, books are consistently superior to movies. My trick to really enjoying the film will be to keep my expectations low. I have found that I enjoy being pleasantly surprised when a flick is well done. Conversely the worst movies in my opinion are the ones where I had high hopes and felt let down after seeing them.
MersesArrr!
Settled in Forks

Re:

Post by MersesArrr! »

Mostly, I have really mixed feelings from the few trailers I've seen; sometimes I think it could be kickin' awesome, other times I think it could use something more to make it better. I'm torn, really. What I most scrutinized, initially, was the director. Hardwicke's career seems marginally above par. She's done other work on better movies. No matter. She's worked with great people more often than not. Bound to learn.

And, well, I'm sure you have all been over this before, I've heard the rumors of people upset about certain actors attached to certain characters, but did they really have to pick people who were mostly from sitcoms and soaps?

It just seems like too much powdered milk. I want the cow!

I'll still be dragging my husband into theatres to see it, though. I'll try to match his expectations: el, oh, double you.
sparker
Wandering Through Town

Post by sparker »

Yes. I will be dragging my husband as well and I'm sure he'll sound a lot like Jacob when he thinks about Bella and Edward. HE WILL like the cars at least.
I am worried about one thing in the movie...
The way they're intimate and the electricity you feel between them in the text, I would get goosebumps reading it.
I hope Hardewicke doesn't go too overboard and lose that in translation.
I can see Stephenie's pensive eyes watching the monitor and shaking her head. I hope she settles for no less than perfect in this regard!
Everything else seems subjective, but the intensity between them is what kept me reading hours into the night keeping my husband awake!!
I need to get a little book light....
MersesArrr!
Settled in Forks

Post by MersesArrr! »

Sparker, good point.
From what the trailers show, it appears that Kristen and Robert have good charisma on camera, which is the only way that Bella and Edward can be manifest on-screen. It's vital to have that captured, but not restrained. I see your concern. It seems they are a superb fit for the film, though.

I noticed during several interviews that Robert may be practicing a little method-acting in that he seems to be overtly aware of Kristen's presence. He watches her and pays every little mind to her words and body language. Perhaps making her a bit nervous, even, because he looks at her so adoringly, a peripheral artist at best. Like he really is Edward's Bella. I'm surprised how well Robert looks the part; so violently handsome (in a comedic way) as I would have thought that to be difficult since Edward seems so elite. And how much Kristen really looks the part of Bella; the unsuspecting brunette and humble beauty.
sparker
Wandering Through Town

Post by sparker »

You nailed it Mrs R! I've not seen his method behavior but I've also never seen him in interviews or press junkets before for this film. I find that so interesting from your perspective!
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

Mrs. R's got it right! :) This whole movie really bends around Rob's performance, and personally, I think he's going to be just perfect. He really took it seriously and wanted to know what makes Edward tick and went from there. Everyone who has met him or been around the set or has seen bits of the movies (critics, etc.) say that he's not playing the role of Edward, but he somehow just *became* him. I'm so excited to see it.

On another note, last night I had the privilege of seeing a screening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. And while I was excited, being a Potter fan, I was somehow disappointed at the end. And it made me really nervous about Twilight for the first time. So now I'm kinda jittery about the whole thing - it's just so easy to be disappointed when you love something so much and you just want it to be so perfect. That being said, I'm sooo excited.

Also, I was thinking I love that this is the forum that has the most views - it's because we really really really love these books and we want other people to love them too! And if we feel like this, imagine how Stephenie feels about her baby! So that's really reassuring that Stephenie has seen rough cuts and said she would have turned around and automatically bought another ticket - they did something right! :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
b&e214
Settled in Forks

Post by b&e214 »

I am very excited about the movie, and even more excited that it is being released a month earlier.
However that being said, I am also skeptical. No doubt I will see the movie ( once I am able to force my friend to go, none of my friends like vampire stuff haha), but like all other twilight fans I am getting caught up in judging the movie on insignificant points.
For instance, dont ask me why, but I cant stand that they have emmett wearing a sideways baseball cap in scenes, and that in the baseball scene the cullens are wearing baseball uniforms. Did that happen in the book because I didnt think it did? Some of the casting i did not think was right either, but I do agree with Rob and Kristen being cast which when you think about it, is all that really matters.
So hopefully I can get over sweatin the small stuff and enjoy the movie for what it is. We all know movies are never as good as the books, so we should think of that and look to the movie as a tribute to a great story and some good ol' fashioned entertainment.
I think your friends are angry at me for stealing you.
They'll survive.
I may not give you back, though.
Tengo Nubs.
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: Fighting off all the chubies who want to steal her fictional men. ::cough::SAM&SHEL::cough::

Post by Tengo Nubs. »

soozabooza54 wrote:On another note, last night I had the privilege of seeing a screening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
So that's really reassuring that Stephenie has seen rough cuts and said she would have turned around and automatically bought another ticket - they did something right! :)
i have no idea if that quote will work out. but how did you swing an early screening of HBP? things like that never happen to me...how do people get so lucky? lol and if the movie is finished, why was it moved to july 09? anyone know?

and also! i heard steph meyer say she'd see it again immediately, too, so i figured they did a good job with the movie. i mean, if it's good enough for the creator of the series, it should be good enough for the rest of us too. and i've actually already told my sister that she has to see it with me twice in one night should the fancy strike me. i'm excited.

i think rob pattinson is going to be a great edward. i do have some reservations about kristen stewart, but only because in some interviews she seems kinda stand-offish. but that may have more to do with her being shy than anything else. i dunno...we'll all have to see i guess
Sam and Shel <3 --Twinnies Randomness Regular. Addicted to the Brothers <3
ed4ev
Wandering Through Town

Post by ed4ev »

im kinda scared that theyll skip parts or something, or make the actors say the wrong lines at the wrong time.... :?

Do I dazzle you?
37yearoldfan

Post by 37yearoldfan »

I have a concern about the guy that is playing Carlisle. Peter Facinelli. I have seen him in a couple of things (most notably Can't Hardly Wait) and he is not a great actor. Does any one else share my concern?

Also, isn't it ironic that Robert Pattinson was killed by the supernatural in the Golbet of Fire and now he is playing the supernatural? Just an odd coincidence!