Ireland

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
CaughtMyself426
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Ireland

Post by CaughtMyself426 »

^^Oh yeah accents here are weird!

Well its snowing today in Ireland! Snow fun!
But yeah yet here I am in school, the guys school got closed for the day but us? Nooo... But yeah mostly frees all day anyway and we got our hoddies!
Their Black, say TY o8 to o9 and then Name on the sleve and surnmae on the back! Wriiting is either Luminous pink or green
I joined the pink side .. Mwah haw haw!
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Post by vamp na hEireann »

Black wrote:
vamp na hEireann wrote:
Black wrote:I would love to go to Ireland. It sounds so beautiful. All rainy and green...
I also like the music and love the accent.
The accent your probably thinking of isnt really real.There are about twenty million bazillion accents in Ireland.Theres the main like northern,dublish and Cork but you coul have three or four different accents within a 15 mile radius in some places.Its a bit strange considering the actual size of the country.Its bloody tiny.
Isn't real? XD. I have no idea why people from Ireland would put on a fake accent.
There are several different accents in every country. I'm not sure why, but it happens.
We don't put on a fake accent.I'm on about the accent all or most americans think we have.The steriotypical Irish accent usually acconpanied by little dancing lepricauns which by the way aren't real...They're just sheep. :lol:
CaughtMyself426 wrote:^^Oh yeah accents here are weird!

Well its snowing today in Ireland! Snow fun!
But yeah yet here I am in school, the guys school got closed for the day but us? Nooo... But yeah mostly frees all day anyway and we got our hoddies!
Their Black, say TY o8 to o9 and then Name on the sleve and surnmae on the back! Wriiting is either Luminous pink or green
I joined the pink side .. Mwah haw haw!
Why do yous get hoodies??We wanted to get hoodies but our principle wouldnt let us in case we tried to rob some place while wearing them. :roll:
Our parent teacher meeting is today and the 1st years are tomorrow and we're on work experience next week so I dont have to go to school till the 23rd! :mrgreen:
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Talking about the presumed Irish accent, I guess Irish people don't realise that there are some traits that are peculiarly Irish in the way they talk. It's the same with the Italian-American accent...I don't realise it but people can automatically understand I'm Italian when I speak English. It's the same with the Irish.
It's true that there are millions accents in Ireland but you don't realise it until you spend a lot of time there...I'm able (sometimes, since I'm living again in Italy) to distinguish between the Corkonian and the Dublin accent but it took me a lot to appreciate the difference. Yet, both accents share some common characteristic and idiomatic phrases that foreign people would generally recognise as 'Irish'.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

vamp na hEireann wrote:
We don't put on a fake accent.I'm on about the accent all or most americans think we have.The steriotypical Irish accent usually acconpanied by little dancing lepricauns
Arrgg. Contrary to popular belief, Americans do not get their ideas about other cultures through 'The Simpsons'. I don't know why every foreign person I've ever talked to doubts that I, or anyone else I know, knows what another accent really sounds like. Is it so hard to believe that maybe... just maybe we've actually heard one? I'm sorry, but it really pisses me off when people automatically assume that just because we live in the US, we see other cultures through stereotypes like that's all we're possibly capable of doing.

It boggles my mind that anyone would ever think that the majority of Americans have never heard a genuine Irish accent. I've been around Irish people before. I'm not sh*tting you when I say that I like the accent for what it is. And no, don't say that I am the exception because I'm not. There's not a person I know who's never heard an Irish person speak. Believe it or not, a real Irish accent is not that hard to come across.

I'm sorry, but you really hit a nerve when you said that. I am so sick of hearing it, especially since nobody has any real reason for thinking it other than that's what they've been told.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
vamp na hEireann
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

dimber wrote:Talking about the presumed Irish accent, I guess Irish people don't realise that there are some traits that are peculiarly Irish in the way they talk. It's the same with the Italian-American accent...I don't realise it but people can automatically understand I'm Italian when I speak English. It's the same with the Irish.
It's true that there are millions accents in Ireland but you don't realise it until you spend a lot of time there...I'm able (sometimes, since I'm living again in Italy) to distinguish between the Corkonian and the Dublin accent but it took me a lot to appreciate the difference. Yet, both accents share some common characteristic and idiomatic phrases that foreign people would generally recognise as 'Irish'.
O_o... :lol: :lol: sorry,thats just really funny about the corconians and dublish accents.to us they're like two opposite ends of the universe.appart from the fact that corconians and dubliners basically hate each other.
Black wrote: It boggles my mind that anyone would ever think that the majority of Americans have never heard a genuine Irish accent. I've been around Irish people before. I'm not sh*tting you when I say that I like the accent for what it is. And no, don't say that I am the exception because I'm not. There's not a person I know who's never heard an Irish person speak. Believe it or not, a real Irish accent is not that hard to come across.
Sorry.And I know a lot of americans know what a real irish accent sounds like but it annoys me that they still use the steriotypical one on telly and in movies.The actors are just really shoot at doing accents,or at least some of them are.
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Can you name a movie where the actors using an Irish accent aren't really Irish? Because I can't.
If you know that most Americans know what one really sounds like, why did you say that most didn't?
vamp na hEireann

Sin City and The Last Samurai.Cant think of anything else right now.
I was talking about how,in general,a lot wouldn't know what it sounds like.
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ragdoll
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by ragdoll »

I've heard some pretty bad attempts at Irish accents in movies. P.S. I love you was truly awful. And there was one with Tom Cruise....can't think of the name.

The best I've heard was James McAvoy in Inside I'm Dancing - very realistic, I almost forget he was Scottish.
Congratulations to the Irish rugby team!!!!! Grand Slam at last!!!

Team Seth: 'Cos he's the bestest! :D

My quotes forum: http://quotations.forumotion.com/forum.htm
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I've never had a proper St Patrick's Day. One of these years I'm going to drink myself silly on March 17th and maybe even wear one of those little sparkly shamrock hats. ;)
justdeal
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie
Location: In the Mafia living room watching Doctor Who with Fang!

Post by justdeal »

*door bangs open, appears in darth chaos cloak, with wolves at side*
MAFIA INVASION!
*looks around*
I like our Irish retreat... Its all castle like.
Chaos Q Kirit
Twilight Mafia
EMERALD STAR PACK
Come Join The Pack