How do you talk?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Gee
Wandering Through Town

Re: How do you talk?

Post by Gee »

erm... i have a... Sotuh African accent? lol
I dont think we have accents. some people down here speak with a slight english one, but generally i think we sound pretty like neautral.... could just be me tho :P
OMG I love Edward Cullen! *jumps on Oprah's couch*
mcdowellswife
Wandering Through Town

Post by mcdowellswife »

I grew up in West Central Illinois (on the Mississippi River) right by Missouri and Iowa. I now live in Iowa...

For some reason, I am constantly told that I have a Southern accent.
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

mcdowellswife wrote:I grew up in West Central Illinois (on the Mississippi River) right by Missouri and Iowa. I now live in Iowa...

For some reason, I am constantly told that I have a Southern accent.

Given your location, I'm not really surprised; my brother-in-law (and the vast majority of his family) are from a place not too far west-northwest of St. Louis. They could EASILY pass as being from deep south-central Texas. I'm not sure where you are in Iowa at the moment, but that would explain where the accent came from--even if you don't notice it. Give it a few years, and it'll probably wear off. :D

During everyday speech and conversation, I have no real accent. Maybe it's just a blend of everything I've known from all the places I've lived (German, French, North-Dakotan Norwegian--and yes, that IS an accent. Ask anyone who's ever been--etc.), but there is no real accent there.

When I'm angry, I take on a heavy Scottish brogue. When I'm telling a particularly adventurous story, I'm suddenly faintly Irish. When I'm trying to give someone a warm welcome, I take on a bit of a "country" twang. Once all those pass, I'm pretty much back to my accent-less self. It could be the influence of the town; we're somewhat internationally known for not having much in the way of regional accents, so a lot of places put their HQ or major call-centers here.

And yet, people STILL don't think we exist, or that there's anything of consequence in the state. How odd. But I digress...
MCullz
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MCullz »

i dont really think i have much of an accent.

a few times people have told me i speak like im from Boston, which makes sense i guess, since i live not too far from there.

and then I also slip into a Jersey accent sometimes, due to my extended family living there..

I love pretending to have accents from different places, because of my lack of accent. lol.
"It's your choice, Ace. People can live a hundred years without really living for a minute.You climb up here with me, it's one less minute you haven't lived." -Logan Huntzberger, Gilmore Girls
silverstar
Wandering Through Town

Post by silverstar »

I have a very unique voice. No one can identify my supposed accent. I always talk with it. I've been told it sounds Newfie by some people, which is funny as it is from across the country.

Occasionally a little bit of a french accent will appear. I also talk like an asian sometimes.
Words to live by: "If you judge people you have no time to love them"
JackyO
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by JackyO »

kl1028 wrote:or like when they say idear...instead of idea....yea that annoys me
Hey, I live right smack-dab in the middle of Kentucky. (I'm not kidding. LITERALLY right in the middle. I live in Clark County, and Lexington is right above us. Go look at a map) and i hear that so much and it bugs the h.ell out of me. I try EXTREMELY hard to make it sound like I have a normal accent, and most of the time I do really well, except on three occassions. 1. I'm really really really mad about something. 2. I'm really sleepy. 3. I'm hungry, tired, or a combo of the two. The reason why it's only on these occassions is because I'm a lot less likely to pay attention to what I'm saying, and it will sleep out. Oh, my mom has such a thick Kentuckian accent! I can't stand it! She'll say "worm" like "warm", "wash" like "warsh", "Window" like "Windah" ("Winder" when she wants to make me mad) it just goes on and on and on. BUT, a Central Kentucky accent isn't as bad as an Eastern Kentucky accent. It's closer to the Appalachian Mountains, and so it'll get stronger and stronger. My sociology teacher's from over there, and he talks about the words they have that we don't. Like a suitcase is a grip. A couch is a davenport. But we all say pop. It's soft drink, soda pop, sodie pop, it's just pop. Also, we tend to run our words together, or drop letters completely.

I really love Irish accents. I don't know why. My friend once told me that I had a sort of British accent. I don't know how he got that. LOL
Domo-kun loves you

Could the winter calm come twice?
Because your heart seems so cold tonight...
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

urcoolcarrie wrote:
SethisMine wrote:
urcoolcarrie wrote:
SethisMine wrote:Well I'm from Utah, so now I've developed a Utahn accent. That's when you forget your T's in some words like mountain so it sounds like moun'n.
same here. it bugged my spanish teacher so bad, because we'd forget the T's in our words all the time.
Wait, are you from Utah too?
you bet! good ol utah. :)
YAY UTAH!!!! :D
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

^ha ha. that is cool.

us in utah are just plain weird. we don't pronounce things correctly. as mentioned earlier, we don't say mountains correctly. we tend to just cut letters out of words. i don't know why, but we do. weird.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
x_mystical_dreams
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by x_mystical_dreams »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iknv8_3fhHY

^^ like them in the song minus the manly voice aspect
maybe someday I'll come around and tell you
all the things that I never said
with the courage that I never found

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Alternative Moon
Settled in Forks

Post by Alternative Moon »

When I talk english I talk with an danish accent.. And I know there is an specific accent for danes talking english, becouse all danes talk in that way :)