Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Writers Central

Post by Amanda Beth »

The thing about age is that actions and dialogue and relationships ALL need to change...especially because the age change is actually a decent jump. Even though in this first book the change only affects one character, it changes SO much...but its better in the long run.

Or that's what I'm going to tell myself as I begin to rewrite it...again. :)
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote:My book will hopefully, if all goes according to plan, be a three book trilogy.
And I decided when I'm oh so close to finishing that I do not like the ages of my characters.

And because I'm a masochist...I'm changing them.

What!! Oh, Amanda Beth... yes, as alpha said ( and I believe Stephen King, and several others) writing is re-writing, but that's huge isn't it?? Have you thought about leaving it and having someone look at it, professionally speaking, first? What caused the change of heart? (Just being nosy and curious. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to?) ;)

Openhome wrote:Ginnie! Congratulations on how popular your fic is becoming. Very well done!

:oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you... I'm in a little bit of shock this week actually. Someone, somewhere must have recc'd What Drives Her recently because I have a surge of new alerts and reviews. There are almost 500 reviews on fanfiction.net, which in the vampfic/PG-13 world, feels pretty big. I am really excited about that, and honored... and of course, I wouldn't have gotten this far without all of you here in Writer's Central!! I started posting in this thread right around the same time that I began WDH-- I can't believe it's been almost 9 months! Anyway, thanks again for the nod, Kayla... and to the rest of you, thanks as well. :D
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

VirginiaMay wrote:
What!! Oh, Amanda Beth... yes, as alpha said ( and I believe Stephen King, and several others) writing is re-writing, but that's huge isn't it?? Have you thought about leaving it and having someone look at it, professionally speaking, first? What caused the change of heart? (Just being nosy and curious. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to?) ;)

It actually has to do with the storyline as a whole--over the three books. Time was going to pass between the books and in order to get two of the characters to the age I wanted them to be (they are not main characters in the first book but in the 2nd and 3rd--the one isn't even in the 1st book) there was going to have to be a larger gap between stories and I think it would be very difficult to explain what happened between that time span and kind of exhaust the book before you get back to the plot...if that makes sense. So if I make the characters older I can have less time pass. I'll actually be able to have more fun with the youngest character in the 1st book if she's older too.

So although it will be a bit of a pain right now, it will help more in the long run. My mom has been my editor so far and she knows my every thought process because she has to listen to it over and over again--the women is a saint lol--and she said yeah it would make more sense.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote: It actually has to do with the storyline as a whole--over the three books. Time was going to pass between the books and in order to get two of the characters to the age I wanted them to be (they are not main characters in the first book but in the 2nd and 3rd--the one isn't even in the 1st book) there was going to have to be a larger gap between stories and I think it would be very difficult to explain what happened between that time span and kind of exhaust the book before you get back to the plot...if that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining. Sorry again for the nosy question, LOL! :)
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Openhome wrote:Congratulations Alphanubilus! That is quite a feat! I hope you will keep us informed of your progress. Writing a script is very different from writing a book -- learned that in Nanowrimo. The do script writing in April, and their hints on screenplays confused the heck out of me. However, I am very glad you are succeeding at it!

Thanks Openhome and yes, I'll keep everybody posted as things move along. It's a long... LONG... LONG process, but in the end, it is what I want to do, and I love doing it. :D
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi, Ya'll! Yes...I've been absent from the thread for FAR too long. *SIGH* RL has become such an adventure, I barely have time to drop by anymore. I have met and fallen in love with my own RL Rob. We have planned a wedding for April 9th, 2011, and I am ecstatically happy but totally stressed over all the goings on that a wedding entails! For obvious reasons, no writing has been taking place lately. But, I hope to find some time during Christmas break to do some writing.

Amanda Beth~~ I am thrilled for you and the progress you're making on your novel!

Alpha~~ GREAT news on the screen play being picked up!

Ginnie~~ You know how I feel about WDH! ;)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Okay, I'm really curious about this site. It came to me in an e-mail, telling me I was a member. I never signed up with them, and I don't even know what it is exactly. It looks like some kind of super fanfiction site. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am just trying to figure out why I received a notice from them.
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Hehe I just wrote in the fanfic thread but for those who do not read both: I believe some stolen fanfics showed up there a while ago and we prob signed up to read them. I remember finding LAF on a site but wattpad's search function isn't great and I can't sift through them all.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Guess what writer guys and gals?? All that debate we had about UofEM and Sebastien Robichaud? Well, I guess he did decide to publish it. You can see the description and info HERE.

One thing... I hate to say it, but I'm a little disappointed it's Omnific he went with. What does everyone else think of this develpoment??
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

*sets soapbox down*
Since you asked...
Fanfiction, no matter how original, is a form of legal plagiarism. I admit it, freely. The fact that the authors allow fanfic writers to write is simply a matter of grace and legal gray areas. It is for this reason that I keep my original work original and my fanfic, fanfic.
I totally understand the desire to take your original idea and make it into your own book. We all fall in love with our story and characters. HOWEVER, if you do this you face possible legal ramifications unless you completely rework it so that it isn't like the original fanfic. I hope for SR's sake that he did alter it because if the book reads exactly like the fanfic, that is a very shaky legal position to be in.
This leads me to ask why he didn't go with an established publishing house. If it were not legally shaky, then publishing companies would be vying for the more popular works. Think of EP or WA. Why hasn't an established company snatched them up? In SR's case, why isn't Random House or even Harlequin asking to publish his work? It was certainly written well enough to be published by them. So, why wasn't it?
I don't know all the legal issues, but these are areas that I think any fanfic author needs to look seriously at.
I also have a very hard time with the ideas of:
1) pulling your fic to make money off of it after it was posted as a fanfiction. Why pull it if it is a "new" story? It's not like the story will disappear. How many copies are saved on e-readers or in home databases? There are copies of his work available all over the place, and fanfic readers love to share.
2) lying to a fan base that supported you and then expecting them to pay for the thing. That seemed like a very unscrupulous thing to do.
*put's the well used soapbox back and goes back to doing dishes*