Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
EdwardsGirl
Wandering Through Town

Re: Wild about Harry, the Harry Potter book discussion

Post by EdwardsGirl »

Yes, books are way better!

Hey, is anyone participating in the HPQuest? I just discovered it last week on hpana.com

Here is the address

http://www.hpquest2.com
I won't try to philosophize, I'll just take a deep breath and I'll look in your eyes.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Dear Neptune, what happened to the poor thread? *looks around, hears crickets chirping and cobwebs all over*
Eep, spiders! *waves wand and banishes the spiders* Be gone with ye!
In the mean time, Viva La Potter Thread!

I'm re-reading the series again before the 6th movie comes out, and as I read the Chamber of Secrets, I'm thinking "You know, if I didn't know it was physically impossible, I'd think Professor Lockhart has a bigger ego than I do!". I'm not sure there's a character I'd like to give a good sound kick more than him. Voldemort, I'd throw a shoe at. Malfoy, I'd growl at him (and he'd probably pee himself). Lockhart? The most annoying fictional character ever! He needs an award for that.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I reread the 7th one today.
The deaths hit me again, all over. :cry: And before Fred died, I said something like, "Oh, Fred you're so funny! Why did you have to die?!" and my brother thought I was talking about youtube Fred. :roll: So now we're in this argument about who's the better Fred: Fred Weasley, or youtube Fred.
I think everyone here knows the correct answer.
But seriously, did Rowling even think when she was naming some of these characters? If she knew that one of Harry's kids was going to have Dumbledore and Snape's name, you think she would choose something besides Albus and Severus. Didn't have to be something "hip" like Brad or even something common like William, just...better. Something you could actually see someone naming their kid. And Hermione and Ron's Hugo. HUGO? That's so Spanish (nothing against Spanish people, just, well, he's not Spanish) and I can't see a 9 year old-ish kid with that name.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

I re-read them a couple months ago, and everytime I do, I still tear up and cry. I can't help it. But with me I cry at just about everything movies, books, tv shows. I'm just emotional that way I guess. Probably one of the best series ever. I love these books. I never get tired of reading them. I wish Fred didn't have to die either, or Sirius. Or anybody close to Harry. He already lost so much with his parents dying. Why couldn't it have been the Malfoy's or something. Don't answer that I know, I know....Well, that's my little musings. Later, Vi.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I haven't read the HP books.

I think I read the first chapter of the chamber of secrets.... the first page of the order of the phoenix, and the first page of the 7th book....

This type of story doesn't really interest me enough to read about it. And the movies are okay.. :D
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

Officially 6 days away from Harry Potter and HBP's opening in my country! I've never felt this way since Twilight the movie in 2008.

I need to start refreshing my memory and re-read HBP before I watch the movie!
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Psh, Half Blood Prince is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more exciting than any Twilight book.
And JK Rowling is about as bad as Stephanie Meyer at naming kids!
My Top 3 Bad Baby Names:
1. Bronx Mowgli Wentz
2. Renesmee Carlie Cullen
3. Albus Severus Potter
And Hugo is pretty bad too... I thought Victorie was at first A. a boy and B. Hermione's kid, because of the Victor part. My dad corrected my blonde moment.

Jadey- if you haven't read the books, don't come on the this thread, or you'll get everything spoiled for you.
I'm about at the part where Dumbledore's gunna die. I can't wait for this in the movie, I know i'll cry, even though I don't particularly like this Dumbledore-actor.
Well, it seems we're mixing up the book and movie threads again, ho hum.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Wow, I think Albus Severus is 100000x worse the Renesmee. Once you say Renesmee a bit, it actually sounds pretty. But Albus...it's horrible!
For me, HP and Twilight are so different I can't really compare them. Twilight I read if I'm in a romantic mood, but HP is good for some action. I love them both.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
despoina92
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by despoina92 »

I read Twilight about 4 months ago and I hadn't read the HP books since Deathly Hallows' release. I re-read DH last week and now I'm re-reading H-BP. I had totally forgot how great they are!

I think there is a lot of difference between those series. First of all, JK creates a whole new universe, where humanity (in the way we are) is totally outside and does not participate. It's a totally wizard world. And it is based more to action. It does not focus so much on the people but more to the situations and the stories. There is even history about this universe. Generally, she has built a universe with its own rules and the story evolves around the peace of this universe and how it is put in the hands of a boy.

On the other hand, the Twilight saga it is more based in its characters and the decisions they make. It's about someone's personal happiness and the saga is directly connected (at least in the three books) to our human universe. SM develops really multi-dimensional characters, each one with unique features and since they were humans once, the only history there to tell is everyone's personal story and only a few that are common in the vampire world.

I don't think that there is something to compare between those two. After all, many of today's teenagers grew up with HP (I've been reading the books for my entire childhood and a part of my adolescence until the last book was out and that's what happend with other people of my generation. Many of those- femaly mostly- teenagers became later Twilight fans. There are many people that found the HP universe appealing and not the Twilight and the opposite.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

^ I also reread the series a while ago, I appreciated it a lot more that time, now I could read it all back-to-back and understand it all.

The names at the end were very .. unusual. At least there was a bit of reasoning for the Albus Severus.

I'm glad there was that ending though, even if it was a bit random. Without it, I don't think it would have seemed properly finished.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy