What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Vamp Diaries 2. Is this the last book?
ImageImageImage
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

Along for the Ride... AGAIN! :lol:

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I picked up Kaleb Nation's new book book: Bran Hambic, the Hatfield Curse. It looks interesting. And the next Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter and the Sword of Mercy. YAY! And The Wheel of Time Companion/Bonus Features disc book thingy. To bide my time until I get the next book from my friend.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I finished City of Ashes and waiting for the third one to be returned at ny local library. Until then I started Marked by P.C. Cast.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I'm the sort of reader who always has several books going at the same time. Usually the list will include 1) at least one fiction, probably a mystery or thriller, possibly fantasy or sci-fi, 2) Something with some connection to economics since I'm a college econ prof, 3) some kind of military history book since I have a lot of interest in that, 4) Usually some kind of film book since I'm a big movie lover, and 5) miscellaneous other books, mostly non-fiction. My current reading includes:

1) Too Big to Fail, by Andrew Ross Sorkin. For me this is the latest of several I've read about the financial/economic crisis we've been hit by in the past 2-3 years. This one has a lot of very good reporting although it's not as strong on the big picture as other books I've read are.

2) The Naming of the Dead, by Ian Rankin. This is one of the most recent books in Rankin's excellent series featuring Detective Inspector John Rebus of the Edinburgh CID. Rankin is one of the best mystery/thriller writers around today--he consistently gives us great characters, intricate plots, and a murky, morally ambiguous atmosphere.

3. Brute Force, by John Ellis. This is my current military history reading. It's an often critical review of the strategy and tactics employed by the Allies during World War 2. Pretty essential reading for anyone interested in the subject.

4. The Trouble With Physics, by Lee Smolin. This is a fascinating jeremiad about what Smolin sees as the excessive dominance of physics research by string theory. I don't know enough about the details of the subject to judge whether Smolin is correct in his conclusions but this is probably worthwhile reading for anyone interested in the issue.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Jestak wrote:4. The Trouble With Physics, by Lee Smolin. This is a fascinating jeremiad about what Smolin sees as the excessive dominance of physics research by string theory. I don't know enough about the details of the subject to judge whether Smolin is correct in his conclusions but this is probably worthwhile reading for anyone interested in the issue.
Now that does sound interesting. String theory is really dominating the realm of theoretical physics? I think I'll write this down somewhere to read after I finish off Elegant Universe.
But what does jeremiad mean?
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote: But what does jeremiad mean?
A jeremiad is, per the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, "a prolonged lamentation or complaint," or "a cautionary or angry harangue."

Sorry, my vocabulary gets the better of me every now and then. :)
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Cool, I'm gunna use that word. Thanks!

I'm starting Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra tonight, for lack of a lighter book to carry to a state playoff game.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

jestak wrote:1) Too Big to Fail, by Andrew Ross Sorkin. For me this is the latest of several I've read about the financial/economic crisis we've been hit by in the past 2-3 years. This one has a lot of very good reporting although it's not as strong on the big picture as other books I've read are.

Gosh. I've been curious about this book since hearing Sorkin on npr back in the fall. And more generally, looking for good books on the subject. Which others would you recommend?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Bruquita
Settled in Forks

Post by Bruquita »

I just finished Enrique's Journey.

It's a difficult book to read.

It's the (true) story of a boy named Enrique who is on a journey from Honduras to the United States to be reunited with his mother. The travels with other boys who are doing the same thing. They travel on the top of trains.

It's hard to read because a lot of these boys are killed, raped, robbed, lose limbs, etc on the journey.

I cried several times. But it is inspiring.