What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jeakat »

I'm currently re-reading Angel (Angel Burn in the US) by L.A. Weatherly.

I love this book so, so much! In fact, I haven't loved a book this much since Twilight. It actually reminds me of Twilight in some ways. Angel Burn is YA and is so different from anything else out there. She's done for Angels what Twilight did for vampires. Wow, I'm starting to sound like an advert, maybe I should paid for this! But honestly, I can't recommend it enough!
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Catching up a bit here.

Recently completed:

Bad Luck and Trouble
, by Lee Child. Yet another in the durable Jack Reacher series. I enjoyed this one, as it brought the return of Frances Neagley from Without Fail, my favorite supporting character in the series. In this book, Reacher and Neagley assemble their old military unit, a special MP squad, when one of their former teammates disappears and is thought dead.

Jar City, by Arnaldur Indridason. This is the first in a series set in, of all places, Reykjavik, Iceland. A very good psychological thriller, with maybe a touch of Dennis Lehane to it, and an intriguing setting and central character.

Brazil On the Rise, by Larry Rohter. Rohter, who covered Brazil for the New York Times for many years, writes of how Brazil has undergone tremendous political and economic transformation, and is becoming increasingly influential in world affairs.

Current reading:

Lost Light, by Michael Connelly. Part of Connelly's excellent Harry Bosch series, which I've mentioned here before. Bosch, retired from the Los Angeles PD (temporarily), decides to dig into an unsolved murder that he had worked as a detective. As he investigates the death of a movie production assistant, he is drawn into a complicated web involving hoodlums, bent cops, and a zealous FBI anti-terrorism squad.

The Great Movies III, by Roger Ebert. As in the first two volumes in this series, Ebert here gives us illuminating essays on 100 movies that he finds to be great. Any serious film lover should read all three of this series.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
LadyGhost06
Wandering Through Town

Post by LadyGhost06 »

Currently reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.
"I'll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear."
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Re-reading A Wrinkle in Time

Working my way through the Twilight Guide

And re-reading Summer of the Monkeys

(From the 2 re-reads, can u tell I'm trying to pick the summer reading books for my 6th graders?? LOL)

Thank you Naureen!!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Now reading:

1) Immoral, by Brian Freeman. This is the first in a series by Freeman centered on a Duluth, MN detective named Jonathan Stride. In this debut novel, he investigates the disappearance of a local teen girl, and finds layer after layer of intrigue and deception. It's a pretty good one so far.

2) Treasure Islands, by Nicholas Shaxson. Shaxson is a former reporter for the Financial Times; this book is an investigation of the role of the countries around the world that are "tax havens" which enable corporations, individuals and financial institutions to evade taxation and regulation.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
LadyGhost06
Wandering Through Town

Post by LadyGhost06 »

Across the Universe by Beth Revis.
"I'll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear."
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Blackveil - Kristen Britain
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

LadyGhost06 wrote:Across the Universe by Beth Revis.
That's my next book. I've already bought it, so I hope it's good!

The one I'm currently on at the moment is By Midnight by Mia James. I have to say, I'm not enjoying it, but I'm determined to get to the end!
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I have a few books on deck:

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward (Adult paranormal romance, halfway done)
Aurelia by Anne Ousterlund
Clarity by Kim Harrington
Ilegal by Bettina Restrepo
Vampire Knight manga series 9-11
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading includes:

1) Where Serpents Lie, by T. Jefferson Parker. This is another of Parker's excellent, twisty crime thrillers set in Southern California. Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Terry Naughton heads a special squad that investigates crimes committed against young children. As he investigates a kidnapper who abducts and terrorizes young girls, he also faces ethics charges that seem to be drummed up by a rival in the department. I'm about halfway into this one and expect to finish it tonight.

2) Fateful Choices, by Ian Kershaw. Kershaw is best known for writing what is probably the definitive biography of Adolf Hitler. This book focuses on an 18-month period during World War II, when Kershaw argues that the most important decisions of the war were made by leaders like Churchill, Hitler, Roosevelt and Stalin. Quite good so far.