The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: The Hunger Games/Catching Fire

Post by xhopeonaropex »

LadyDi I beg to differ hun. Many grown ups have read the series and loved it. Adults in their 20's and 30's will be attending my event. I will have the Mickingjay event set in my store if I get enough people to attend. And there will be alot of grownups as well as teens. If you live in LA come by :D
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Hi Hope,
I totally agree that lots of adults read and worship the series - many of my friends who are booksellers have been awaiting the third with bated breath. I think for me, the hesitation was with the midnight release party. When I went to the Breaking Dawn release party, although there were many adults, there were many more teens, and the trauma of the costume contest remains with me. What sort of games would you do / are you planning to do at your store? What activities could you run that would not be ... what's the word? Fear-inducing? Disturbing? So many of the great moments in the books are activities you might not want to replicate (although having just said that, you could do a cool task based on a drama game I know called "crossing the burble swamp").
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

hey all feel like im slightly late to this party but have read The Hunger Games and am halfway through Catching Fire having been reccommended them to read by a fellow lexling, and i love them, they are awesome! cant wait for Mockingjay
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

In case you're interested, I am doing a "Mockingjay" giveaway at my blog. Go here for more info. I know that some of you already entered and I thank you!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
xhopeonaropex

Post by xhopeonaropex »

LadyDi I understand where you're coming from now. I am con-costume contest FYI. Too childish. My events usually involve activities of all ages. I create scavenger hunts for the events that require knowledge on how to find books and what information I require from them. And I usually pick out things that compare to the books I'm running an event for. So I end up recommending the series to them in the end. I also have discussions and debates because it gives everyone a chance to join in, mingle, talk, and speak their mind. And it shows how much people have in common. People have a great time when they find themselves thinking the same way and laughing at the same things. I also make games up like, if books were made into a movie, who would you like to act as the characters and why? I do raffles and give away prizes that everyone likes. Today I gave away advance screening tickets to Scott Pilgrim Vs The World and some merchandise. I always make sure it's an adult friendly environment for Young Adult books, cuz even though I'm young and 21 I still feel old around teens and I just wanna make sure that no one feels left out. Trying to plan a Catching Fire event for next month before Mockingjay gets released. Hopefully that one is a success :)
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Hope, are hugs allowed online? That sounds like a wonderful, inclusive, enjoyable type of event! Maybe you should come work at the bookstore near me! (It's a little far from your home base, though!) Stressing how the book unites people rather than divides them is powerful indeed!
We'll have to do a PM about Scott Pilgrim vs The World (great GN!)
Ironically, I am getting ready to attend a Twilight conference and I am debating about whether to enter the costume contest. My issue with the contest from my semi-humiliating Breaking Dawn release was the lack of respect, organization, voting procedure, or attention to the books. I dressed as Alice from the slumber party in Eclipse and had to stand up next to people that dressed in black and red corsets and push-up bras that had nothing to do with the story. I was impressed with a couple of people - one dressed as Bella's truck and another as a Volturi.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

I saw an ad for a Hunger Games board game in Entertainment Weekly today!
I tried to search online for more details because I do not want another Twilight board game (who ever came up with that game process and rules was out of their mind :roll: we make up our own rules when we play haha, but I digress). All I could find was the number of players and districs represented and the type of cards involved.

If anyone finds anymore info or actually plays it please let me know what it is like.
Prices ranged from $16.99 to $20
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
xhopeonaropex

Post by xhopeonaropex »

LadyDi Yes hugs are allowed online :lol: ::hugs back:: And does your bookstore need a sales manager?? JK. Honestly, when it comes to costume contests I'm the last person to ask. Don't really like them. And I was planning on attending the Twilight convention here in LA and when I was looking at tickets I made sure I did not have the costume contest as part of the package. I think the one thing grown ups can't fit into is costume contests. Costume parties for grown ups and possibly Halloween is ok. But I think costume contests makes you feel left out. Teens focus on fashion, physique, attraction, whereas grown ups might actually get stuff out of the books correctly. I'm not saying all teens are this way, but when it comes to contests like this the majority think about how to be the sexy Bella or the model-physique Alice. So I stand there and watch ;) But if you would like any ideas I'd be happy to help!! <3
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Just reserved a copy at the bookstore for Mockingjay. I can't wait for August 25th (sadly we're 1 day delayed)...I'm sure it will be a blast...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

14 DAYS!

I can't wait. I already paid for my copy like 3 months ago, now it just needs to get here. SO EXCITED
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.