Harry Potter Books vs. Twilight Books

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Harry Potter Books vs. Twilight Books

Post by bac »

Discussion of Twilight Books vs. Harry Potter

Pros of both series, cons of both series, is one better than another...

Please keep the discussion civil, share opinions without personal attacks.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Re: Harry Potter Books vs. Twilight Books

Post by Jadey »

I haven't read the Harry Potter books, they aint my cuppa tea. I have seen most of the movies *cough* mainly the 4th one due to a certain someone whose name starts with R and ends with obert.

I tried to read the first one and got bored. Tried to start the second one and got bored. Randomly started reading the 5th one for some reason and I didn't know what was going on.

But uh, I'm more of a romance/love novel kinda person, hence why our beloved saga is my favourite book series. Wizards and Witches and children don't really float ma boat.

Peace.

^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hihi. funny that this thread now shows up....
Yesterday I was watching the new Harry potter on dvd....

I started reading thanks to the Harry Potter books.... I was totally addicted to them.....
and then...miss Meyer came along.....
ever since then it's been twilight addiction 24/7....

The HP books are more for kids and tweens... Althought I love the story it is still a childrens book...
Twilight saga is more for the older young adults... there is love, sexual tension, horror and action....it's almost like R&J I guess.
that's why I'm more into the twilight saga...you get addicted to the love story...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I must admit, I am a ginormous fan of the HP series. In fact, I do so adore the "crossover" between Twilight and HP in the form of "a certain someone whose name starts with R and ends with obert." (Though I truthfully didn't truly like Cedric until I saw him portrayed onscreen by that certain someone. Rob infused a life and goodness into him that I didn't see in the books and that was before I went totally around the bend about the man) That being said, the novels are a lot different. As Jade said, the HP novels, while they do grow up, and you do get a bit of romance, there is still something quintessentially child-like in them. Granted, that's a part that I truly love. That despite all the dark things and trials and tribulations, there is still a bit of innocence left in Harry, Ron and Hermione. Twilight is written, while still for a ya audience, I think it is just a bit more relatable for adults.

That being said, I suppose it is okay to say I can blame HP for delaying my arrival in the Twiverse. A few months before the release of Breaking Dawn and after the release of HP & the Deathly Hallows, I started hearing about this "new JK Rowling" who was taking the world by storm with her vampire romance. Now, given the amount of love I have for BtVS, I was a little hesitant about the vampire romance part. I mean, how could you do it better than BtVS, right? Add to that that the thought of anyone or anything trying to fill the void or be the next JK Rowling and HP was unthinkable to me, I resisted with everything I had. That was until I ended up, completely by coincidence, at a Borders the night of the Breaking Dawn release. It was insanity. I overheard a downright fight between three women my age over Jacob vs Edward (as if there's a question :roll: :lol: ) Anyways, my thought was, if this book creates such a passionate debate, it must be something, right? So I bought Twilight and New Moon that night. And, the rest, as they say, is history. I have been hooked ever since. Quite literally. I can honestly say I haven't read anything non-Twilight related in over a year. I struggled and I mean struggled to get through Half Blood Prince last summer so that I could reread it before the movie came out. That is my favorite book of the series, honestly, and I could barely make it through because I just couldn't make myself focus.

While I still love HP, Twilight has totally taken over my world in a way that HP never did.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

Wow..This is going to be the start of a lot of argum- I mean "discussions." :lol:

I have said this a looooong time ago, but the Twilight series has a more relate-factor to it as far as the story goes. While vampires who never sleep and sparkle in the sunlight is highly unlikely, the series if a bit more realistic than that of the HP series (if that makes any sense to anyone other than myself). Whereas HP has people running around in large cloaks with a stick in their hand that shoots out stuff while they mumble things like, "takus-a-showerus" I think Jimmy Fallon comes up with a lot more funnier "spells" than I. Anyways..I really did enjoy HP, but it is geared more towards a younger audience, even though the later books are a bit on the darker side.

Twilight has action, drama, romance and of course is geared to an older audience, and it really erks me when people say the ONLY ones who read the books are "tweens." Really, I think the audience should be considered 17 and above. I pretty much agree with everything you said Marielle. Except for liking it because it is a love story..I'm not much for love stories.

The thing that attracted me was Robert and the fact that it had vampires in it...Though, before there was any talk of the movie and I was at the bookstore looking at the books when they first came out and was like, "This is like the dumbest book ever! I'm not reading that crap.." And look where I am now!! :lol:

I didn't start reading the books until I learned that a movie was being made and an actor named, rhymes with Smobert Battison, was going to be in it. I've been a fan of his 4-eva!!

Jadey you are funny! I have always been interested in mythology and all that jazz..So HP certainly took me there. Of course, I only got interested in that because of my friend. I had made fun of her all throughout senior year of high school for liking HP. She skipped school when the 2nd film came out so she could see it. One day she was like, "Come over and watch the first movie and you'll like it." I was like, "Whatever. I'll watch that crap with you." And then afterwards I was like, "So..can I borrow your books?"

But I was not nearly as obsessed with HP as I am with Twilight..Though, there are aspects of HP that I don't mind having a discussion about. Like analytical discussions and such.
jaimetristan
Learning to Love Green

Post by jaimetristan »

so i do agree that this thread will cause heated..but very civil debates about the two series.... ;)

i actually read the harry potter books after the twilight book and i def see what you guys mean about how they are more "childrens book" all the same i loved them, i seen all the movies before i red the books too, but its like when i read the Twilight books i felt like i was bella...do you know what i mean....i connected with her in the book, and i fell in love with the people in TWILIGHT, as where with the harry potter books i felt as if i was just hoveriing over watching over the story. i never connected with they harry potter books as i did the Twilight books i read the TWI series 4 times and still am reding them...but i was done reading the HP books after one time.......
Jaime..
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

jaimetristan wrote:so i do agree that this thread will cause heated..but very civil debates about the two series.... ;)

i actually read the harry potter books after the twilight book and i def see what you guys mean about how they are more "childrens book" all the same i loved them, i seen all the movies before i red the books too, but its like when i read the Twilight books i felt like i was bella...do you know what i mean....i connected with her in the book, and i fell in love with the people in TWILIGHT, as where with the harry potter books i felt as if i was just hoveriing over watching over the story. i never connected with they harry potter books as i did the Twilight books i read the TWI series 4 times and still am reding them...but i was done reading the HP books after one time.......
I know exactly what you mean. I connected with Bella too, but I think that can pretty much go for any book that is written from a 1st person pov.

When I read the Southern Vampire series and the Anita Blake Vampire series, they are written in 1st person too so I kind of "feel" like I am there. I have only read the Twilight books only once, BUT I am proud to say that I have started re-reading New Moon and will the rest of the books eventually when time allows.

I didn't really fall in love with any of the characters in HP either, except for maybe Professor Lockhart..but he was only in the one book so..HP just got boring after a while..
jaimetristan
Learning to Love Green

Post by jaimetristan »

[quote="G-Faerie08]

When I read the Southern Vampire series and the Anita Blake Vampire series, they are written in 1st person too so I kind of "feel" like I am there. I have only read the Twilight books only once, BUT I am proud to say that I have started re-reading New Moon and will the rest of the books eventually when time allows.

I didn't really fall in love with any of the characters in HP either, except for maybe Professor Lockhart..but he was only in the one book so..HP just got boring after a while..
[/color][/quote]

you know i started reading the southern vamp series and i COULD NOT get in to them...i tried i really tired but i just didnt like them.....not at all, my sister in law loved them but i couldn't do it LoL

i didn't really attach myself to any perticulr person in the HP books but i ended up loving ron in the end LoL :)
Jaime..
strawberrysweet09
Settled in Forks

Post by strawberrysweet09 »

Hey guys, thanks for your ideas! Im doing a speech for public speaking, a debate speech, of why Twilight is better than Harry Potter. A girl in my class loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight and she was pissing me off so we decided to do a speech over it. In the speech it has to be mostly facts and not really any opinion. I realized to late that you cant really say a book is better than another, its merely opinion. But I cant change my topic now. So keep them suggestions coming, gotta do the speech tomorrow! :cry:
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

The thing is, I'm nto sure its possible to compare the two series. They're meant (in the eyes of publishers, critics, ect.) for two entirely different age groups! Sure, they can be read by all kinds of people, but in essence they're completely different things. There's no basis for comparison unless you go to writing style and plot depth and other such infintesimal stuff. (And in that case, Harry Potter has a heck of a lot better writing and plot than Twilight. I love them both, but... Harry's better. Vampires have never cut it for me.) Really, its more of a difference of opinion than something that can be judged upon pure fact.