Harry Potter Books vs. Twilight Books

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
strawberrysweet09
Settled in Forks

Re: Harry Potter Books vs. Twilight Books

Post by strawberrysweet09 »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:The thing is, I'm nto sure its possible to compare the two series. They're meant (in the eyes of publishers, critics, ect.) for two entirely different age groups! Sure, they can be read by all kinds of people, but in essence they're completely different things. There's no basis for comparison unless you go to writing style and plot depth and other such infintesimal stuff. (And in that case, Harry Potter has a heck of a lot better writing and plot than Twilight. I love them both, but... Harry's better. Vampires have never cut it for me.) Really, its more of a difference of opinion than something that can be judged upon pure fact.
Yepp exactly what I found out while working on my speech. But.....cant change my topic....and still have to do the speech tomorrow.....so gotta explain for at least 5 minutes how Twilight is better than HP lol
roo-roo91
Taking Nature Lessons from Jacob

Post by roo-roo91 »

I have to agree with the above written statement.
For me I've only read the twilight books a few times, whereas I've read each Harry Potter book more then around 2 times.
I find myeslf reading hp for longer periods of time then I read the twi books.
I guess Harry's world fascinates me more, since it's a completely different world, unlike twilight which is just in the real world.
Harry has two worlds, the muggle one and the wizard one.
I guess that's why I read Harry long before twilight.
Twilight didn't catch my eye until a week before the first movie.
I've kind of grown tired of it too.
Gamzee is best troll; Dr.Facilier is best Disney villain, Dimitri is best Cooper gang member. They all are associated with purple. That is awesome.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I've been reading Harry since I was 6, which explains my preference. Yet I still enjoy Twilight. I only picked it up because it was written by a Mormon author, but it turned out to be a lot better than I thought. Not that I'll be reading any more romance or vampire involved things, but it was still good, with nice Mormon morals mixed in with lots of smooching, which is what I appreciated. Harry Potter though, has morals, proper violence and dead people (Twilight lacks the normal amount of deaths), romance without the... cheesyness and martyrdom, hillarity cover to cover, and epic wizard battles.
Again, you can't really compare wizards duking it out to vampires eating people. Just doesn't work.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

strawberrysweet09 wrote:
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:The thing is, I'm nto sure its possible to compare the two series. They're meant (in the eyes of publishers, critics, ect.) for two entirely different age groups! Sure, they can be read by all kinds of people, but in essence they're completely different things. There's no basis for comparison unless you go to writing style and plot depth and other such infintesimal stuff. (And in that case, Harry Potter has a heck of a lot better writing and plot than Twilight. I love them both, but... Harry's better. Vampires have never cut it for me.) Really, its more of a difference of opinion than something that can be judged upon pure fact.
Yepp exactly what I found out while working on my speech. But.....cant change my topic....and still have to do the speech tomorrow.....so gotta explain for at least 5 minutes how Twilight is better than HP lol
Strawberrysweet09~ A bit of advice from a former communications student. Start your speech with the most important fact: No matter what, which series is better is always going to be a matter of opinion. Other than that, it's all just details. Then you can discuss whatever version of facts you feel support your conclusion. But, those facts are a separate matter. I am happy to share my opinion if you want.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

I'm gonna have to call it a tie between both books for me. They both are my favorites for entirley different reaons, I have my
HP box set sitting next to my bed since I bought it, and I always have a Twilight book nearby to open and read it. On my Borders tag I have Harry Potter themes going on for where I put my name, and I also have Twlight/New Moon oins on the collar of the tag. so it;s a tie for me.
Nikki--
Settled in Forks

Post by Nikki-- »

I love both series, but I have to admit HP is probably my favourite. Mostly because I've been a fan for so long and I've spent so much time reading those books. I have to disagree that 'Twilight' is more mature - I think it's the exact opposite. HP touches on many deep subjects (courage, friendship, freedom, justice, .. ), whereas 'Twilight' is a love story and not a whole lot more. HP creates a whole separate world, which makes it a lot more intricate. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love 'Twilight', but I think the story is a lot more flimsy.
strawberrysweet09
Settled in Forks

Post by strawberrysweet09 »

Woo! Just did my speech and it went pretty well....I think lol. Thank you guys for your input! Love you bunches my fellow Twihards! <3
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I pretty much agree with everything that you said Caryn. I read Harry Potter way before I'd even heard of Twilight. I love Harry Potter; I don't really think that they are kids books. The first couple are a bit I think, but the later ones I think are aimed a lot more at adults; for the original readers as they grew up, with Harry, Hermione & Ron.

But I was the same as Caryn ; when I heard what Twilight was all about, I was like "what??? That is such a rip off of Buffy!" :lol: And I didn't want to read them, cos I thought it was too close to Buffy. But...then I read a review of the film, and when it spoke about how Edward "never wanted another persons blood" as much as he wanted Bella's...I knew I had to see this film!! Then, I saw it, loved it, read the books, and just can't stop thinking about them!!

So here is what I think:

HP Pros:
-it is a completely different world to the "real" world, and I am more aware of that than I am with Twilight. I like that, a totally different world, which is very believable the way it is written (if you know what I mean lol)
-the writing is excellent, it is a better quality than SM I think.

HP Cons:
-I really don't like the love story thing between Harry & Cho, it really bugs me. I don't think of HP as a "romance" in any way, I don't really think it fits LOL. I'd much prefer just the wizard thing. If that makes sense!

Twilight Pros:
-the story...wow. I fall into these books, and I never want to leave. Books that do that to me just leave me breathless.
-Edward & Bella's relationship: I don't really think of Twilight as a "vampire" book (where as I do think of HP as a wizard book); Twilight to me is all about Edward & Bella, and their love. It blows my mind.

Twilight Cons:
-Erm, I'm kinda struggling here....the fact that it ends?? :lol:

Jazz Girl wrote:[color]While I still love HP, Twilight has totally taken over my world in a way that HP never did.[/color]
You put it perfect Caryn. I do love HP, the characters & the story a great deal, but I have eaten, slept and breathed Twilight since I first saw the film; HP never had that effect on me.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I thought I loved the HP books until I read Twilight. Then I realized what love for a book really means. The story just caught me in a way that no other books have.
I still like HP, especially the later books (not too fond of books 1 and 2). But I have not read any of them since I started reading Twilight.

Before reading Twilight, I was so sceptical. Just the fact that it was about vampires was a big turn off for me. But I was so wrong. What I like about Twilight, and what makes me like it more than HP, is the character development. You get too feel like you really know Edward and Bella, and SM has a unique way of describing this impossible relationship. So it seems more real for me than HP. HP has characters that I don't feel the same connection too, and I was not as sad to see it end as I was with Twilight.

openfire wrote:I do love HP, the characters & the story a great deal, but I have eaten, slept and breathed Twilight since I first saw the film; HP never had that effect on me.

Jaclyn, I completely agree. From the moment I first read Twilight, it has been my favorite. And I just know that I will read these books again and again.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

openfire wrote:I do love HP, the characters & the story a great deal, but I have eaten, slept and breathed Twilight since I first saw the film; HP never had that effect on me.
Well, HP certainly had that effect on me. I was one of those nerdy little kids you'd see out on the playground, waving sticks around and pretending they were wizards. I changed the name of my invisible friend from Coconut to Harry Potter so I could go to Hogwarts with him. I have to credit Harry for pretty much every bit of my imagination skills. I learned to read from it, learned to write from it. Its a huge help.

Thanks to Harry (and Lord of the Rings slightly later on...), I had a big imagination. Wh en Twilight came around, it took over. Part of my brain was rather annoyed, because before then, I had some really good stories I was in the processing of creating. They all got pushed aside by the vampires. The other part of my brain loved it- couldn't leave them alone. I wasn't bothered by anything in the story (course, when I read it, there weren't any critics or movies) because it was all so mind bottlingly good. Now, its a slightly different story; I see the points of some criticisms of the book, but the good parts are more than enough to make up for the bad.

The difference between love in HP and Twi: In Twilight, it is all about the relationships (and vampires, but mostly realationships). All about them. The point of romance novels, really.
Harry has more- The love isn't just between two people, its between... everyone. Altruism at its finest and bravest. There's so many different kinds, too, and its all fleshed out and strengthened and shared by everyone. The relationships aren't everything, they just support the series in a magical way. Its something Twilight can't really achieve- mostly because Edward can't really save the whole world. Or at least all of England. There's no way he can sacrifice the way Harry did. Edward did make sacrifices, but they were for selfish/unselfish reasons. Harry just did his duty.