Out of the Mouths of Babes

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Post by Alphie »

I can't take credit for this topic. As many of you have seen from the blog today, my kids watched New Moon for the first time and had some WAY out there funny comments about it. I tweeted many of the things they said and got a great response about it. OpenHome and December both thought it would a fun to have a similar topic here on the boards dealing with cute, funny, and possibly poignant things kids say.

So here are the "rules" for this topic. Since everyone can quote something funny or cute a kid has said, I think we should maybe limit it down to something you personally heard or witnessed. That way we can share the backstory and really set up the kid quote. If the thread kind of comes to a stand still then we'll just go with anything you've ever been told a kid said once upon a time! But for now let's stick to things we've personally heard or witnessed. I think it just makes it that more fun to retell the story.

Now, the kids can be saying anything. Just because this started when my kids were talking about Twilight doesn't mean the comments have to be about Twilight. If they are, GREAT! But I think all the cute stuff kids say are worthy of being shared. Just remember not to share any of the kids' names with us, and please don't post photos!

Here's an example. We went to Disney World recently and watched the fireworks at Mickey's Christmas Party in the Magic Kingdom. About 2 - 3 minutes into the fireworks, Tinkerbell goes flying from Cinderella's castle over towards Tomorrow Land. She's all bright and sparkley and her dress is actually lit up - as in it's made of green light bulbs! So everyone is ohhing and ahhing from the touch of Disney magic we just saw when my 6 year old daughter says...

"She wasn't really flying! She was hanging from a string!"

So much for magic!

For another example on what might work here, read the blog post with my tweets.
new moon from a childs point of view
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Out of the Mouths of Babes

Post by TammyAZ »

I have an amusing story about my daughter. Now let me tell you, she is the one that got me hooked on everything Twilight. She started with the books shortly before the first movie came out. When I asked her what they were about, she replied "vampires" and to be honest I had absolutely no interest. After the Twilight DVD came out I decided to watch it with her on one of our "girl nights" and the rest is history :)

On to her funny story....She came home from school (I think she was in 8th grade at the time) and was really angry about something a boy had said during one of her classes. She told me that her and her best friend were discussing the books and movies when the young man started teasing them about liking Twilight. The girls let him have it, and started going on about why Twilight is "awesome" etc. That's when the boy piped up "Yeah well it's just stupid... vampires don't sparkle!" to which my daughter replied "Really? When was the last time you saw a vampire?" From what she said, by this time the kids around them started busting a gut laughing and the boy obviously couldn't come up with a good reply... one of them even told her it was about time someone stood up to that particular bully :)

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

TammyAZ wrote: "Yeah well it's just stupid... vampires don't sparkle!" to which my daughter replied "Really? When was the last time you saw a vampire?"
OH MY GOSH! That needs to be on a t-shirt or at least an avi! HAHAHHAHA! Bravo to your daughter.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

This didn't come out of her mouth, thank God, but she did use her hands...

My youngest found a bug. It was rather cute, but it was very dead.

Since I love Twilight and hates the ring they had for Bella in Eclipse (something all my daughters are very well aware of). I felt that the ring looked a bit like a bug. So, she decided to re-make Bella's ring using a bug. She took off all the legs and antennae, used glue and glitter, and had a ton of fun.

This is what she ended up with. It really does look like the ring in the movie!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I'm just gonna say I LOVE KIDS! They crack me up even when they don't mean to be funny.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

I love the things that kids say. Even though. technically, I guess I'm still a kid...
Anyways, my younger brother is autistic, although not too severe. At Thanksgiving a few years ago, my grandmother and I were prepping the turkey. We had just basted it, and had left the baster on the counter. We were sitting at the table, just chatting, when my brother, who would have been about 8 at the time, walks in. He sees the baster, and immediately pipes up, " That's the biggest eye dropper I've ever seen!"
I have never laughed so hard, while trying to make it seem like I'm not laughing at a person. It was adorable:) :lol:
More recently, I've been volunteering at his school. I'm an assistant director in their Musical Theatre production. I was sitting in on auditions, and he walks in quite confidently. He looks up, sees me, and asks his teacher, "Can my sister please leave? She makes me very uncomfortable!" Needless to say, I took a walk. It was quite funny.
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Openhome wrote:This didn't come out of her mouth, thank God, but she did use her hands...

My youngest found a bug. It was rather cute, but it was very dead.

Since I love Twilight and hates the ring they had for Bella in Eclipse (something all my daughters are very well aware of). I felt that the ring looked a bit like a bug. So, she decided to re-make Bella's ring using a bug. She took off all the legs and antennae, used glue and glitter, and had a ton of fun.

This is what she ended up with. It really does look like the ring in the movie!
Wow Openhome, your daughter is beautiful - and very creative!! Honestly, I looked at the ring pic first and it was hard to believe there was actually a bug under all that glitter. Did you keep it?

I have a six month old son, no words coming out of his mouth yet but, he has started to recognize his own reflection in the mirror (I think so anyway) and is enthralled with it. Showing him himself in the mirror has yet to fail me as a method of calming him down when he is in a fit of tears. It occured to me he is so easily distracted by his own reflection - just like Rosalie! I literally laughed out loud. (Of course his fascination stems from a much purer place, I am not comparing my baby to a vampire.)

I have recently taken to reading fanfiction some of which also has me literally laughing out loud causing my seven year old son to ask "What's so funny Momma". I'll give him the best G rated explanation I can. I was laughing again the other day and he said "What's so funny, is Bella with those vampires again?" just like he knew her or had at least seen the movie or something. His "Momma" thought he was too cute for words that day.

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

My daughter said this and I posted it in the Halfway House thread and had to post it here.

My daughter is cracking me up. I make her say "May I please....." before she ask for anything. Well, she now adds on to it "Yes You May" before I can even say yes or no. It's cute sometimes. She even watched Eclipse with me yesterday (she asked, which is odd. She saw the movie on my Twilight shelf on my entertainment ceneter) The real proposal scene she turned to me and said "Mommy, Edward and Bella are in love and they're married." I said, "Not yet baby. They will be soon. Edward just asked her to marry him." She then goes, "But Mommy! They kissed and that means they are married! You can't kiss if your not married!" That had me Oh how there is a part of me that wishes she would always think like that!

Your kids are cracking me up! Oh this is good :D
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I love all these stories! Kids can be so adorable :D .

I got a story to share. It is something my mom experienced last week so I will explain what her job is first since we only have that in the Netherlands. Here, we get a maximum of eight days (depending on you health insurance) of after-birth care for mother and baby (here is the wiki-page about it if you want to know more or ask me if anything is unclear).
Basically, my mom helps the midwife during birth (If the child is born at home. Also something that is done more often in the Netherlands I think.) and then she stays with the family for eight days (8am-5pm or shorter) and helps with the feedings and bathing etc. She makes sure the mother and baby are in good health and comfortable while recovering from the birth. She also takes care of little household tasks like laundry, cleaning the bathroom etc.

Last week she was working in a family who already had a two year old daughter and this girl became like completely obsessed with my mother ("the nurse"). (You know how kids can be completely infatuated by one person for a period of time?) She would wait by the window until my mom showed up in the mornings and cry when my mom left in the afternoons. During the week she said some really funny and cute things that I wanted to share. I will call my mom M and the girl G to keep this anonymous and simple.

- So one day the doctor comes over to check up on the mother and the baby and the following conversation took place:
Doctor: So G, what did I hear? What did you get?
G: A friend!
Doctor: No, you got a baby brother, right?
G: O yes, that too.
Doctor: And what is his name?
G: M

- One other time M asked G to help clean the bathroom and gave her things like gloves, a sponge and a bucket. G walks around proudly with her cleaning supplies and follows M through the living room where some visitors (who came to see the new baby) are sitting.
Visitor: Where are you going with that G?
G: O, I'm just gonna clean with my friend. Be right back.

- M and G were playing and G pretended to be a doctor examining M's arm.
G: Hmm, I think you're arm is not doing well. But it's ok, I will just cut it off.
M: O, but I'm a little scared. That will hurt.
G: Don't worry. It will be fun!

- M is taking G to bed for her nap and reads her a story when in the middle of the story:
G: M, do you have a father?
M: Yes, I have a father too.
G: Good. Does he have pyjamas?
M: Yes, he has pyjamas as well.
G: Good. Then I will take my pyjamas and I can sleep in your house with you and your father!
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

My oldest son who is six loves to watch Ni Hao, Kai-lan. We are actually watching it now as I type this. He is really good at counting the numbers and knowing some colors in Chinese. A few months ago we went through the drive-through to get him a happy meal. When the total came up I looked at him and told him "you are expensive." He looked up at me and said "No mom, I'm not expensive, I'm Chinese."
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers