Rob's Halfway House - #9

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #9

Post by Susie »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RACHEL!!!
I hope you have fun plans for your birthday!

I'll be back later for the rest of my post.
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi again :

First off, happy birthday Rachel, though I did also send her a Facebook message when I first got on line--I hope that she gets at least one or the other from me, because she's been sort of absent around here with her getting ready to have a baby. At least we're thinking about you :)

And the guest list for the Twi convention was announced, and Kristen, Rob, Taylor, the Cullens minus Kellan, and most of the wolves are supposed to be there. Though that I'd give that update.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Happy birthday, Rachel! I hope you don't mind me saying it when I don't really know you, but it felt rude to say nothing! :)

Chernaudi - You have a huge interest in WWII? So does my father! I don't mind a bit of WWII stuff, either, although I do find WWI a bit more fascinating, as my great uncle was killed at Gallipoli (that's a battle that is iconic in this country because of the losses we suffered there), and my husband's grandfather also fought at Gallipoli, The Somme, and was there for the liberation of Villers Bretonneux in France. My father latches on to WWII because he was born in London in 1942, and he can remember playing in some of the craters left by the bombs after the war, so he finds it fascinating. Although he finds most wars fascinating!

On the subject of R and K I have an enormous problem with people who think that actors, for some strange reason, aren't entitled to privacy. Would we expect it from anyone else in any other profession? Of course not! Would you go up to your greengrocer and ask him who he was dating and if he had slept with someone last night? Would it be any of your business? No way! But because we see actors in intimate situations on screen and they give us so much emotional joy in these performances we come to the erroneous belief that they are somehow our intimate friends, so we should be privy to all their private details. That is absolute rubbish. No one else would cop it, and they shouldn't have to. Chernaudi, try asking your friend extremely personal questions and she if he/she likes it!
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Lynne: Actually, my friend agrees with the standpoint that Kristen and Rob have the same basic needs and wants and rights for privacy and stuff like that that we have. She's very tired of that "if they didn't want to become famous, they shouldn't have become actors" argument because it shows off those critics' ignorance. We feel that they have no right to criticize Kristen and Rob unless they've dealt with similar invasion of privacy.

She says that when K&R are off the clock and not filming, doing promo or their other obligations, they're on their time and that time should be theirs to do whatever they want with without people's prying eyes constantly following them and talking behind their backs. Would we want that to happen to us? No! Would the paps and tabloid writers like it if someone used their tactics against them? I certainly doubt it.

It's like what I said earlier:

"I've been messaging a friend about some of the stuff we've been talking about here about K&R's stereotyping and stuff like that. She thinks that most of the people who are complaining are jealous of Kristen and/or Rob, and they don't care to think that everyone, no matter how much they love their job, has things that they dislike about it. And as she said, when Kristen and Rob aren't filming, doing promo and signings, and their other on the job obligations, they're off the clock and that time is theirs. They have a need and a right to their "me" time as much as we do. And she also said that most of these people who criticize are also very private people themselves, and I doubt that they'd like to be treated like Kristen and Rob have been.

Basically, if the ones doing the complaining have things that they don't like about the job that their doing, they need to shut their friggin' mouths and look in the damn mirror."

When they're "off the clock", they have the same rights to privacy and to live their lives like we have. Too many of these people complaining are either jealous of them, or, as you said, feel entitled to know about what they do in their spare time, which they really aren't entitled to know that unless it's on Kristen or Rob's terms. If they wanna talk about it, that's their right, if they don't, that's their right, too. I think that the US Constitution guarantees equal rights for all, right? I don't think that Kristen and Rob are exceptions, nor any other H'wood star.

I've seen an old George Carlin piece where he rips on Nimbys and golfers and golf courses, and that's how I feel about the paps, the tabloid writers and the corrupt, money-grabbing companies that they work for.

Everyone: Well, I'm getting ready for my WWII marathon, but I have a few things to do before hand. As I said, I probably won't be on too much tonight, but I'll try and check in when I can.

See everyone later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Unfortunately the media makes their own rules, and because they can turn on you pretty quickly few politicians are willing to stand up to them.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Lynne: Serious hat on: As far as I'm concerned with the media, I make my own rules. They don't have any control over me. This is supposed to be a capitalist society, where the principals of supply and demand govern what any business does. That seems to be lost on so many people. I really don't think that some people know that some of their actions support and provide positive reinforcement to those who are doing wrong. And if worse comes to worse, we can petition to have the Government nationalize certain media outlets. That's my right, too, to petition the government to do that. That doesn't mean that they will, but no one can stop me, because that's a constitutionally protected freedom in America.

To think that the media companies are so arrogant that they can control us is nonsensical, and even they know that if they PO enough people, they could be in trouble. They're not holding a gun to my head, and if it makes me a bad person to form my own opinions about the media, then I guess I'm evil, whatever. I'm free to believe what I believe and they're free to believe what they do, but they have to remember that such freedoms were paid for with blood, and they should be a bit more grateful for having such freedoms and that people choose to watch and read their stuff, because we can also up and stop, and their bottom line will bottom out. And I think that they know who's boss if they push too far.

Sorry for that rant, but I do think that people driving them into bankruptcy and calls for government intervention--including nationalization, which I'm not a fan of--might clean up their acts.

Not so serious hat on: I do think also if the paps and the tabloid people were subjected to the same treatment that the give to those like Kristen and Rob, they'd back off, too. All it is is high school bully boy/mean girl tactics, and if they can't function beyond that level of maturity and intellect, I don't need to read or watch that stuff. I just think that some of these people just wanna start stuff and sell newspapers and make money--the easy way out.

I know that is the way it is, but that's because too many people play to the lowest common denominator, and too many people let them get away with it.

Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Good Evening People!

I haven’t transferred my photos to my computer yet, so I can’t post any trip pictures, but once I do, I’ll try to remember to post them. I have a good one of the three of us. As you know, a good time was had by all. I’m not sure how much I can add to that, but I’ll give you some of my trip details.

At this point I want to say a little bit about my flight benefit because I’ve noticed that people in my real life and maybe even here on the Lex get a little annoyed hearing about all of my trips because they are envious. I don’t blame them at all. I know I’m lucky to have the flight benefit and I wish others could enjoy the same. For a little perspective, I’ll tell you about Hubs’ job with the airlines. He was a Senior Software Developer for Northwest Airlines for 19 years. During that time, his salary was below the norm because the flight benefit was deemed to be part of his compensation. Working there was very stressful. He endured fairly severe pay cuts, a pilot strike, an extended mechanics strike that broke the union, bankruptcy, and then the Delta take-over which brought the Northwest computer system back in time to where theirs was rather than update the Delta system. Then they laid off many Northwest employees and Hubs was one. We lost one of our best Minnesota companies. So, we feel justified in getting the flight benefit as part of the severance package. Why not use it? I feel blessed that it has allowed me to meet so many of my Halfway House sisters. I know it may sound strange, but in a way I feel that I am connecting you all through me until you can all meet at the HHCON in Chicago in June!

Sorry for the soapbox! I just wanted to say that because now I’m going to tell you that I flew to Amsterdam in Business Class and it was very comfy and the food was good and people don’t always like to hear that. I got in Coach on the way back, but that was OK because I didn’t have to sleep like I did on the way over. I stayed in a nice hotel in Leiden, but I needed Suzan to take care of me because I didn’t know how to get from the airport to the right train and then to my hotel! She was a great hostess. The weather was cool and rainy, a welcome change from the dry, hot weather we’ve been having in Minneapolis. It was so great to see Marielle for the THIRD time! I think we're getting to be good friends....

Now, on to your posts -

Chernaudi – Rob&Kris: Yes, jealousy invites criticism – it is a human tendency and we all do it to some extent whether it is your co-worker who gets the promotion instead of you or it is the guy/girl who gets the girl/guy you want. It must be some way of dealing with the perceived injustice of it all – tear the “offending” person down. I’m sure the psych books can explain it. Therefore, the more the “injustice”, i.e. extreme wealth, fame, and good looks, the more some people feel the need to “bring them down a notch”. It’s really more of an indication of how insecure that person is. This also happens with Twilight in general. Since it has been so widely popular, people who don’t like it feel like they don’t fit in and in order to deal with that, they trash Twilight, so that they actually aren’t missing out on anything good after all. It’s sort of like bullying, isn’t it?

Marielle – I hope your cable is fixed now. I know you like to stay up on all the news. I was impressed with how much you know about what’s going on in Holland. Why do you say that you need to fall in love with Rob all over again? Is it just for fun?

Lynne – I feel the same way about Rob’s good family role models. I don’t think he’ll be one of those Hollywood stars who go off the deep end. He’s stable and that’s just one more thing we love about him! Good luck on your novel. It sounds like a fun story.

Amy
– If you want to think about that kind of “private showing” you go ahead and do that. After all, it is your dream! Yikes! Knee surgery from a Quad crash! I’m glad you always wear a helmet. We don’t do those kinds of things here in the city, so it sounds very foreign to me. I love driving a car fast, but in any open air vehicle, I’m pretty much a chicken. Suzan was so good to notice your Lexiversay!! Happy Lexiversary!

Suzan – I’m sorry you feel down about your interview. I know that feeling. Maybe it’s another job that you’re meant to have? At least they’ll let you know soon. I like how you posted an advance Hump Day pic to cheer yourself up. I love your detailed description of your favorite Rob moments. You remind me of NewJen. I’ve got to get her back here! Anyway – I think I may have missed some of those you mentioned. I’ll have to check that Eclipse special out. Thanks for posting the link. Regarding worrying that I came all the way to Holland and might not have had a good time – I’m so sorry you were worried about that. Now you know that I’ve been to Holland several times and I came this time just to see you and Marielle and that WAS a good time. I had no other expectations. Age has a way of mellowing you.

Favorite Rob moment
- How can I choose one? I loved the Jimmy Fallon “Bothered” appearance. I also loved Rob on Ellen with the underwear. Of course there are more…

Time for bed. I’m bushed.

Nighty Night!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Susie - it's great that you can get the benefit of all those flights, although I'm sorry your hubby lost his job. Has he got another one now? Believe me, I wish I could meet you at the HHCON in June, but it ain't going to happen! :(
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Well thank you everyone for my delicious b'day yummies!! :swoon: You all sure know how to make a girl's day.

I have had a lovely, quiet day. After 8+ hours in the car yesterday (it is impossible to make good drive time with a one year old in tow) with my three guys, a bit of solitude is just what I needed! I know that might sound sad for a birthday but I promise I've savored every moment of it.

We had a wonderful trip to the beach - baby boy loved it more than I ever would have hoped. I practically had to stop him from eating the sand and he was for the most part unphased by the saltwater. This gave me the warm and tinglies because little man and I love the beach but hubs is more in it for the view from the pool... He doesn't care for the salt-n-sand so much. I get what he's saying but I guess I love it so I am willing to over look any minor inconveniences.

Our condo was walking distance to a state park so little man and I spent a couple hours one afternoon exploring the natural beach. It was amazing. Glad he is old enough to do that kind of thing now without getting too tired and without requiring me to load down like a pack mule and carry a ton of baby/little kid gear. He's hitting a fun age... Crossing my fingers as I say this because I realize he is about to enter the tween years. Should I be afraid?

I see we have some new sisters/siblings, how exciting! I will warn you that I am sporadic, yes but that doesn't mean I love it any less ;] It's just kinda where I am right now. I do hope to be back a bit more now that I am home from vacation though.

EDIT for Susie: Well, as a HH friend who has reaped the rewards of your flight benefits in the form of a personal Susie visit and not to mention a very lovely Minnesota tea towel that I will treasure for years to come, it is probably easier for me to think, "how exciting! I wish I could do that" than it would be for me if I where say a co-worker or neighbor stuck in the same spot everyday watching you come and go. Of course, these benefits were earned by very demanding work and you and hubs are absolutely entitled to them. Not that it makes it right but, I could see how a person could be a bit green over such perceived... Freedom to come and go. Plus, how exotic you must seem to some, to have so many people to go visit in so many places across the world. I would suggest that maybe they are jealous of more than just your travel benefits?

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.