Rob's Halfway House - #10

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
velvet409
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #10

Post by velvet409 »

Hello sisters (and brother)! :wave:

Tonise~ Of course I'm all for reducing costs so I give a big thumbs up for the time-share idea. However I agree with Susie and would like to make sure there is no fine print or other catches to this deal before we cancel the reservation at the other hotel.

HHCon question from Ginnie~ She was wondering about what days everyone was planning on arriving and leaving. She's just looking for a general consensus of what everyone else is doing so she can decide what she wants to do.

Marielle~ The US seems to be pretty much the polar opposite from Europe in terms of violence and sex in movies. You can blow people's heads off, and as long as there isn't too much blood you can still get a PG-13, but include a love scene that the MPAA deems "too explicit" and you'll get slapped with an R-rating (or worse an NC-17). And what's considered "too explicit" seems to be highly subjective and inconsistent, so two similar love scenes could end up with different ratings. Language is touchy too. You can generally use the f-word once and still get a PG-13, but two or more triggers an R (Remember Me was pushing the PG-13 boundary with two f-bombs). The King's Speech was rated R for a single scene in which profanity is used as a theraputic device and the f-word is said a handful of times. If that one scene had been taken out, the movie probably could've actually gotten a PG. :roll: There may have been many people who missed seeing an excellent film because of its rating.

Songbird~ I'm sorry you're having trouble finding Remember Me. Is it not available somewhere like Amazon? I hope you're able to find it. It truly is a moving film. I guess we'll have to be like Edward and just say, "Alice's visions are subjective". :lol: Psychic ability by its very nature is not really quantifiable and can make setting clearly defined rules for how it works problematic. We do know that Alice's power is not foolproof and can be manipulated, so perhaps Bella managed (as I think Caryn suggested) to find a loophole and keep her from seeing the escape from the airport.

Caryn~ Sorry about your laryngitis. That must be so frustrating for you. How can you vociferously defend Twilight to its detractors if you can't talk? :lol: I haven't seen How to Be before, and I plan on watching it this weekend. I hope I enjoy it, but I don't usually understand British humor so we'll see.

Susie~ I'm glad you're feeling better about your knee and hope you keep improving.

Lynne~ So jealous that you actually have a release date for Bel Ami even if it is a ways off! :mrgreen:

Tracy~ It was a little strange seeing Daniel Radcliffe in something so different, but he's not wearing the glasses so I wasn't seeing Harry while I was watching. He's become quite a handsome young man. I thought his performance was fine, although like I told Marielle it really wasn't my kind of movie so I don't know how much weight my opinion would carry. I think you'll really like Bill Condon's commentary. In addition to the comments about the actors, he also talks a lot about Carter Burwell's score, which as you know thrills me to no end. ;)

A belated Hump Day gift
Banner by TammyAZ
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch."
♥midnight_sun♥
Riding in the Rabbit

Post by ♥midnight_sun♥ »

Well...my hair is purple/red, and looks like this. I totally didn't mean to dye it that color either, but that's what I get for buying one box instead of two like I need to. But I love it, and think I may keep this color for a while instead of letting it grow out.

Marielle~Here if you are in a public or private school setting you go through something similar at fifteen. You take classes and after so many hours of classroom time, you start going out with the instructor and drive, and once you pass that, you get your permit, which you must keep for nine months with no tickets or anything. Then when you're 16 you take your test and can get your license. But if you drop out of school, are home schooled, or something similar, they have a couple different things you can do instead. But unless you want to pay out a bunch of money, your best option is to wait until your 17 and three months or older, do straight to the dmv for your permit (by passing a written test) and have that for nine months, then take the driving test when your 18 for your license. It can get pretty damned confusing at times depending on where you live and such.

Susan~Nope. Most dentists around here don't accept health insurance, so the insurance company won't pay or reimburse them for it either. That's why having your job cover dental for you and others in your household is such a big thing here. I myself got lucky and have a dentist that accepts my insurance plan, though they no longer accept new patients with it, otherwise my brother would go there.

Tonise~Oh I absolutely LOVE that idea! I'd have to talk to my grams about it, to give her a heads-up about the $100, but it's definitely doable.

Christina~To answer your question from Ginnie, I only live about 4 hours south of Chicago, so I'm planning on taking a train up there that morning, and I'll be arriving in Chicago around 9am. As for leaving, there's a train in the late afternoon back down here (I believe around 4pm) that I'll be taking. Also, I know it was in reply to Marielle, but don't get me started on ratings in Europe vs US, and the MPAA. Its such utter bull. Although, if you want, there's a documentary on it with interviews from actors and others in the business called 'This Film Is Not Yet Rated'. Very interesting and makes you think a bit about the rating committees. But you are right about one thing. Europe tends to be more lenient about sex, nudity, and that sort of thing, while the US is more lenient with violence.

Well...other than my lovely new hair color, there's not much else new from me. Although, I am hopefully going to call the counselor at the high school (because I keep forgetting :oops: ) and finally get an appointment with her now that I've got all my test scores back.
Last edited by ♥midnight_sun♥ on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan Fiction Addict•The Halfway House and Brute Squad Member•Banner/Signature OCD
Team Edward•JazzGirl's Official MiniMe•Cullenist•Keeper of the Names•Hatter Obsessed
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Trying out my new iPhone to post a brief howdy. Will edit this post later. :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

12 city blocks is most definitely too far away! Thanks for checking on that Susie! I looked it up on Google maps and just saw the 1.2 miles and thought in terms of country-blocks I guess. :lol: No body panic! There are more options, and I am checking and double-checking the fine print. I promise I will do much more research on this and get it ready for final say-so by next week. And... I would never cancel our other reservations without getting a consensus from Y'all first. :)
I will be honest with Y'all and tell you that I won't be staying in a hotel and paying $100 a night when I can pay $100 for the entire stay. :shock:
Ok... I am off to play with my new iPhone some more before heading to bed! I'll check in with Y'all tomorrow night! Or... I may pop in from the mobile world! You never know! ;)
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Christina - we don't have a PG-13 rating over here, so just about all movies that are rated that in America get an 'M' rating here, which is ages 15 and above. The ratings over here don't seem to get as upset about sex as America, but I think we give violence a harder rap these days. Spiderman, for example, was rated M, which I thought was ridiculous, but apparently it was too violent for under 15s. I think we're pretty much the same with the F-word, though. One f-word might get through on PG if it's not entirely clear what they're saying, but more than one, especially if it's clearly spoken, will get an M rating every time.
I have a feeling that Australia will give Bel Ami an M rating. I know that The Matrix Reloaded, for example, was R in America because of a reasonably explicit sex scene, but it was M over here. So I can't see them giving Bel Ami more than that, although I guess we'll see.

Ashley, that looks lovely!
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Marielle~~ I sent you a PM just now. I am needing the name of the hotel you booked for HH Con this summer. I'm going to look for a place close to you that's on my list. :D
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!

It’s almost weekend…
I have a really exciting weekend ahead, tomorrow I have a high school reunion!!! I’m really excited about it and already under a lot of stress for the “what do I wear???” thing…
Sunday I have an anniversary party of my bf’s aunt and uncle…so rather a busy weekend…

First things first, the HH-con… Tonise, Susie, I have checked with google.maps how far our hotels would be apart if you go for the new hotel. It will be 12 minutes walking from one to the other. I really don’t have much issues with it other that if it gets late and dark I don’t prefer to walk alone through a strange city. (can anyone tell me how safe Chicago is?) but it will be high summer and it won’t be dark until 10pm I guess. The original hotel is only 4 minutes walking so I would prefer that but honestly if it will save you all that much money, than go for it… if you can find something in between that is financially a good option I really don’t mind…
Susie, you know I’m quite used to walk a lot.

Now other posts.

Alphie, I’m really sad that you won’t be there at the HH-con. I was looking forward to meet the creator of heaven…but I understand that you have all these other special events to go to, somebody got to do the horrendous task of meeting the twilight’s cast and ask them annoying questions…(little green monster of jealousy on my back :mrgreen: )….

Sean, the nail polish might be left over from the pre-Oscar party she went to, she was wearing something in the similar color…

Btw, it’s not fair!!! Did you all see the leather leggings Kristen was wearing at the fashion show???? How can she fit in something like that!!! I’m sure she did it just to give everybody a heart attack…

Songbird, I’m pretty much the same when it comes to books, but I really have to keep myself in check, I have still so many books in my collection that I have to read. Normally I get distracted by fanfic… but indeed once the lottery finds my door I’ll be needing a bigger house for my books…

Lynne, I know, I’m not very good at criticism as well, somehow you always take it personal. Even when I know I made the mistake and they are all right…but I think it’s important in every part of life to take lesson from it and than let it go, if you can you’ll becoming a monster…Though I still find that very hard…

Susie, we should have planned it in March and made sure we stayed there intil at the least the 1st of April!!! Than I wouldn’t have to celebrate my bday with my way too demanding family!!!

Christina, as an answer for Ginnie, my bf and I arrive on Wednesday before the HH-con in Chicago, that way we have two days together to explore the city before you girls all arrive.
Seriously? The King’s Speech was R-rated??? I thought it was a very decent movie with all the not so kind words and all…ratings are weird….

Ashley, I have always found it a bit weird that you can take a license test with out learning how to drive… I mean who says parents or other licensed drivers know perfect how to drive… the teachers here in Holland have to go to school for it for at least 2 years, depending on former education and drivers experience…

Tonise, I’m in the Seneca hotel, this is the address, 200 East Chestnut St. Chicago, IL 60611.

To all girls, thank you for praying for my dad’s safe trip… though non of us are religious, sending any good vibes and thoughts are welcome…

See you all tonight!!!!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Hi sibs!

Work has been better - a little time to catch up. Still waiting for the checks to come in though. Home has been crazy. The little girls turn 7 on Sunday so we are planning a sleepover party with up to 2 friends each for this weekend. My son left Thursday on a big multiday trip with the band to Anaheim. And Wednesday, right before his trip, he got into his first fight, and it was with his best friend of 2.5 years. I hadn't even known there was any trouble. Luckily, he was very remorseful and neither of them was hurt, so he was not pulled off the trip. But we had to have quite the lengthy discussion about fighting and another about the importance of friendship. There are many, many days when I wonder how badly I'm screwing up my kids, but I keep slogging on and hoping for the best.

Caryn - I'm 99 per cent sure there is an SM interview where she says Alice only sees without hearing. Its not in the Guide, at least not the Alice section. Get better! The thread is MUCH shorter than usual!

Lynne - huge YAY! For an Asia release date for Bel Ami. I'm getting to the point where I'll believe its coming to the States when I see it. For the airport scene, I think I will agree to disagree. It seems to me that Bella was trying to skate the same very fine line that Victoria did in Eclipse, between considering actions and resolving to take actions, and I consider Alice's visions to be pretty undependable and just as fickle as human whims. But I can understand where you think that she's crossed the line into areas where Alice should have been able to see. Like I said, from my POV, it's a very fine line.

Songbird - it sounds like your family had a great day out! Let me know the title of the John Irving book and if you like it, I used to read a lot of his stuff. He is very quirky! I streamed How To Be from Netflix, which you may not be able to access, but maybe something local to you...? I have my mom's old KitchenAid standing mixer and l-o-v-e it. Wishing one in your future!

Susie - glad to hear from you! I'm sorry you're hurting so much, but jealous that you get so much writing time.

Christina - I hope I get to Chicago too. I'm working lots, but the checks have been delayed :(

Marielle - I giggled to see your post to Christina about movie ratings. I must have been Dutch in my previous life. Blood and sex don't really bug me, but I absolutely can't watch supernatural spooky stuff, even when it's stupid. I get really creeped out. I like Dan Radcliffe, but there's no way I'm seeing "Woman In Black"! Prayers for your daddy on his return voyage.

Ginnie - o my dear, admired, beloved friend. Prayers and good wishes and pixie dust are sent your way - whatever might help. Let me know how the counseling goes - I may be right behind you, as I've been teetering on that brink for months now. I seem to be operating in a cycle that has just enough okayness to make me think its not so bad, until the cycle goes into crisis phase again. You'd think I'd know it's not going anywhere good.

Lulu - oh you sweetie! I would love to coordinate flights, if I go, I would love to fly with you. I need to make finances turnaround first. Schedule your flight, and if I go, I will try to coordinate with you. Amy and Joyce have their tix - I don't know where they are flying out of.

Tonise - that's fabulous about the HHCon hotel! You're working so hard for us! I will try to know by 3/20, but if I don't, I will accept that I will end up with higher rates.

Ashley - that's actually kind of a cute color for hair, especially for someone headed to art school. If that's a pic of you, its a very pretty one.

Alphie - hugely sad that you will be unable to come to HHCon, not that I'm sure yet that I will be there either. Still, that would have been really neat.

Kayla - hey, does this mean you won't be able to make it to HHCon in June either? *sad*

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Good morning, siblings. I'm here, though still relatively quiet. My voice, if I try to use it, sounds rather like a newborn who's cried for a few minutes... that kind of very sad squeaky raspy more whisper than anything else. I'm doing my best to rest and recouperate, which y'all know is a struggle for me. Thank you all for your recovery wishes. I was really knocked over yesterday. This morning, I'm just praying for the hippo that's taken up residence on my chest to move. I have been checking the thread, just not able to post, so I'll try to do some catching up.

Tonise~ Thank you for looking into additional options for HHCon. I am concerned about the fine print involved in the timeshare issue. But, also, can we book the number of rooms we need for that specific time we've decided upon? I'm also concerned about the lack of kitchen facilities. Eating in downtown Chicago can be very expensive. I'm all for getting us the most economical option. I just want to make sure it's not going to bite us.

MiniMe~LOVE the new haircolor. Very bold.

Brenda~ Christina was able to find the interview with SM where she described Alice's visions as running the gammut of still images to full scenes. There are a number of factors that effect how the scene is seen.

Marielle~ I was so relieved to hear your dad's okay. I'll be sending good thoughts for a safe return. Glad you've been able to take a deep breath of relief.

Bel Ami~ No news on a release date. But, I had a reminder set on my calendar and when it went off at midnight last night, I was so bummed.

Rob's in NYC~ Robsessed posted pics of Rob leaving a shop in NYC yesterday. No info as to why he's in NY, but I'm keeping my ear to the ground. :lol:

Because I missed HumpDay. Keep an eye on Robsessed. They are going to be posting screencaps from the entire BDfilm. YAY!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Just a fly by...since we were talking about Alice's visions and whether they ave sound, etc...I found an interview:
Q. Alice’s visions-are they animated or like photographs?

A. Both, but more often like still photographs. She gets motionless images most of the time. The moving visions (and the ones with sound) are only of things that are very concrete and sure (usually the ones that are almost about to happen).
Finally....it was driving me nuts! I knew I had read something somewhere!!
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hey folks,

Sorry for my major MIA... you know my normal reasons: work is busy, wedding stuff is getting hard and the past few days I have been feeling kinda ill, so when I get home from work, I just want to lay and watch tv.

This weekend is also gonna be pretty packed (surprise surprise eh?) but I really hope I get a chance to swing by.

I MISS YOU ALL!!

Take care! :)
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!