What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Jestak »

Like the original, the 1999 remake of The Thomas Crown Affair depends on slickness and star power to overcome the fundamental emptiness of the story. This later version has enough of both to give two hours of reasonably diverting entertainment. The slickness comes to the fore in the nicely staged museum heist that takes up the first 10-15 minutes or so of the film. The star power is courtesy of Pierce Brosnan, and to a lesser extent Rene Russo. Brosnan is the title character, a businessman capable of stealing a $100 million dollar painting just to prove that he can do it. Russo is Catherine Banning, the insurance investigator who becomes torn between her job and her attraction to Thomas Crown. In a Remake Cameo, Faye Dunaway, who played the counterpart to Russo's character in the 1968 original, appears as Brosnan's psychiatrist. There's nothing very deep or original here, but as I said it's a decent diversion.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Silver Rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by Silver Rose »

Despicable Me. It was cute.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I watched both "Remember Me" and "Inception" for the first time today. "Remember Me" what a good sad movie. And "Inception" was weird.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Max Payne starring Mark Whalberg which was an interesting movie. Lots of gunfire but there was a plot. Bit weird at times as there is drug use and the hallucinations involve seeing demons/angels. Im told that the movie does differ from the computer game.

Role Models This was a comedy if not a little weird at times haha. Funny film still. It involves 2 adults who have to mentor a child each otherwise they go to prison for driving offences. The 2 children they look after have their own problems and personalities and it is a feel good movie as everything ends happily.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Just finished the BBC/Masterpiece version of Emma which my husband gave me for Christmas. Loved it!! All four hours!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

To Catch a Thief isn't one of Hitchcock's most memorable films, but it is good, pleasant fun to watch. Cary Grant is retired jewel thief John "the Cat" Robie, who is suspected in a string of new thefts, and works to clear his name with the help of Grace Kelly (less than two years away from becoming Princess Grace of Monaco) as a somewhat spoiled heiress. The French Riviera locations are gorgeous and it's fun to watch Kelly, Grant, and especially Jessie Royce Landis as Kelly's mother (a few years later she played Grant's mother in North by Northwest).
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The second of Pierce Brosnan's 4 outings as James Bond, Tomorrow Never Dies is a solid chapter in the series, though not without shortcomings. Positives include some terrific action set-pieces, from the opening arms bazaar, through the Hamburg car chase and the Saigon bike chase, to the final battle aboard the stealth ship. Michelle Yeoh gives added pleasure as the most kickass Bond Girl ever, while Brosnan turns in a solid performance. David Arnold contributes a great score, incorporating classic Bond themes with new material (as an added bonus, Sheryl Crow sings the title song). On the downside, Jonathan Pryce is way over the top as the villain, Teri Hatcher gives a weak performance, and Yeoh, while she's fantastic in the action scenes, doesn't really strike romantic sparks with Brosnan.
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Meet Me in St. Louis - Great fun with Judy Garland. Hilarious hair and costumes. Fun songs
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

If you need nothing more than 100 minutes or so of visceral excitement, The Expendables may fill the bill; if you want anything more, look elsewhere. The "expendables" of the title are a team of mercenaries headed by Barney Ross (Sylvester Stallone, who also directed, and who is really a bit too old for this stuff). They are hired to overthrow the dictator of a small Caribbean nation. Showing up in various roles are a bunch of actors best known for action work, often downmarket: Jason Statham, Jet Li, Eric Roberts, Steve Austin. Charisma Carpenter, who it's always good to see, has a small role, while there are cameos for Bruce Willis and Ah-nult. The action elements of the film are exciting, if a bit chaotic at times, but the script is mediocre (Stallone co-wrote it, too), and the romance element, pairing Stallone with an actress less than half his age (Mexican actress Giselle Itié), is very implausible.
Silver Rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by Silver Rose »

The new Narnia movie. I liked this one best out of the three.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]