Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Openhome »

I know this is off topic, but I simply had to share it here...

I made my favorite baked chicken recipe tonight, and about half-way through, I started giggling and just couldn't stop. It got so bad my children came in to check on me, which only made it worse. You'll understand why.

The recipe is fairly normal. You make a rub of salt, pepper and thyme, oil the skin and coat the chicken. Easy. Now for the fun part, and I quote:

Using oil, thoroughly lubricate the chicken cavity. Take one large, firm lemon and shove into the cavity. If it is too large, you will need to spread the legs wide and push hard.

I nearly died, and now my children are worried about my sanity, and you are the ONLY people who will understand why I couldn't stop laughing. Fanfic has ruined me. :lol:
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Hahahahaha omg!! You're right...no one outside of the world of fanfiction would know the reference!
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Openhome wrote:I know this is off topic, but I simply had to share it here...

I made my favorite baked chicken recipe tonight, and about half-way through, I started giggling and just couldn't stop. It got so bad my children came in to check on me, which only made it worse. You'll understand why.

The recipe is fairly normal. You make a rub of salt, pepper and thyme, oil the skin and coat the chicken. Easy. Now for the fun part, and I quote:

Using oil, thoroughly lubricate the chicken cavity. Take one large, firm lemon and shove into the cavity. If it is too large, you will need to spread the legs wide and push hard.

I nearly died, and now my children are worried about my sanity, and you are the ONLY people who will understand why I couldn't stop laughing. Fanfic has ruined me. :lol:
:rotfl: That's hilarious! That sounds like something you'd be posting over on the Gutter Guys and Gals thread. 8-)
Banner by TammyAZ
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

openhome wrote:Using oil, thoroughly lubricate the chicken cavity. Take one large, firm lemon and shove into the cavity. If it is too large, you will need to spread the legs wide and push hard.
:blush: :lol: :clap: Total Gutter. You're right about the fanfic ref though. I couldn't understand the lemon ref for about a month after I started reading fanfic ... not until running straight into a bushel of 'em.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:Question for the group:

I see formal definitions out there for what a beta reader is, but some authors use the terms beta and pre-reader as if they are clearly separate things, and some other terms too. Can someone who uses these terms separately please define how they use them for me? :write:
Personally, I consider my beta(s) to be the person(s) I send my writing to after I've come up with what I believe to be the "final" draft of a particular chapter. They are the ones I trust to catch my typos and grammar mistakes before I post. They are also the ones who notice my bad habits and point me to resources to improve my writing. Their focus is supposed to be on the writing.

Pre-readers are the people I send things to that I want an opinion on. Like when I started Arms, I wasn't sure anyone would want to read it, so I asked StellaBlueBella and SwanCullen to take a look at the early drafts and see what they thought, i.e. strictly their opinion. Also, if I'm having trouble with a certain element of a story, I'll ask my pre-readers to look at two versions of it, or ask their thoughts on what I've got so far. They are usually sounding boards. A beta can be a pre-reader (and mine often pull double-duty) but a pre-reader isn't necessarily a beta and usually isn't expected to fix grammar and punctuation, etc. (Though again, some do pull double-duty.)

However, it's hard to say that my definition is how the rest of the fanfiction world sees the beta/pre-reader thing. The two terms are often used interchangeably and, like I mentioned above, many betas do a lot more than just proof-read.

openhome wrote:Using oil, thoroughly lubricate the chicken cavity. Take one large, firm lemon and shove into the cavity. If it is too large, you will need to spread the legs wide and push hard.

That is hilarious!! I would have had the same exact reaction. :lol:

smitten_by_twilight wrote: I couldn't understand the lemon ref for about a month after I started reading fanfic ... not until running straight into a bushel of 'em.

I think I had to ask someone here what the heck a lemon was, LOL! My how times have changed...

That said, it's been fun to get back to my fanfiction roots this past week.

--- I've read seven of The Canon Tour's Pre-Twilight entries. My favorite one so far is, shockingly, a wolf-story.
Pititchu is one fan's story of the first-imprint. "How sad that we should remember her but not her name: the third wife." I wasn't sure I really wanted to read it at first, but I'm glad I did.

I'll be back with more from The Canon Tour later. :) ---
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Openhome wrote:I know this is off topic, but I simply had to share it here...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: *snortsnortgigglesnort* :rotfl: Oh, girl, that is hysterical!!! That's just to freaking priceless for words!!! But, you're so right. Fanfic has ruined so many terms and images for me. I can't even look at ANY kind of unicorn anymore!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

The Canon Tour is a lot of fun. I have read about 23 stories so far and enjoyed most of them, people are working hard and by and large submitting good material. I have added one to my favorites page after reading twice: History Lessons. I won't spoil it for you but I LOL'd! I'm not sure it's my fav, but it's great.

It is also inspiring lots of story ideas ... like I have time for that!
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

I have a new favorite in the Canon Tour!! I just read History Lessons and Brenda's right, it's really good!!!

I hope a few of you will go read and vote. One of my betas, Katmom, along with several other friends (maybe even our own OpenHome???) have entries!! Thanks!
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

VirginiaMay wrote:I hope a few of you will go read and vote.
Can you give the link to vote here?
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

VolturiGirl wrote:
VirginiaMay wrote:I hope a few of you will go read and vote.
Can you give the link to vote here?
SURE!!

Voting is HERE

Stories are HERE

Enjoy!!

PS--

VolturiGirl wrote:
Amanda Beth wrote:Reading MoBS again and I forgot how much Bella's unfiltered mouth makes me LOL (did we have a -ella nickname for her?)

Is the site open again? What I mean is, did she put her work back on line?

No, HunterHunting has not put her work back online that I know of.

*sneaks around corner and checks both ways to see if anyone's looking or listening in*

(PM me your email address, Amy. Okay?) ;-)