Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Amanda Beth »

I agree with everything Kayla said. As a canon writer, it definitely isn't easy and you have to know that everyone reading your story is directly going to compare it to the books. You have very little creative liberty to tweak characters in canon (even if you make an original character) so if a writer isn't able to channel Stephenie Meyer, the story will not work. A lot of people don't like canons because they've read so many that are awful.

I've begun to think of AH fics as similar to an exercise I did in college. The teacher handed out short personality bios of characters and we had to write a short story on them making our own plot etc. When the assignment was done, it was fascinating how polar opposites some stories were. That's really what AH fics are. They use Bella, Edward, Alice etc with their character personalities and flaws (albeit over exaggerated sometimes) but the plot/conflict, relationships and external persona of them are up to the author.
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Has anyone else read the last chapter of Offsides? I don't want to comment if on one else has read it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
SweetKay
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SweetKay »

VolturiGirl wrote:Has anyone else read the last chapter of Offsides? I don't want to comment if on one else has read it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Oh my goodness Amy that chapter was just HEART WRENCHING!!! :heartbroke: I was screaming right along with Edward at the end. I do not know that I have ever read such a callus Carisle. I sure hope that todays update gives us some relief from some of the angst.

Does everyone remember the story, The Fallout, by OCDIndeed? Well her profile was undated recently and she is continuing to work on this story and is intending on finishing it! I am very excited for the continuation and end of this story!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1589954/OCDindeed Good news!!

A recommendation!! Is anyone reading Dear Mr. Masen? It is a collaboration between jennde and Belladonna1472. Jennde wrote Finding Home, a much discussed fanfic. Here is the summary:

"Error 434: Reprimanding an executive." Life changing or just stupid? Dear Mr. Masen: A story of unauthorized Internet usage, culinary delights and the goings-on at Cullen, Inc. AH, ExB.

It is well written and has some laugh out loud moments. It is a WIP and I am currently on chapter 18 of 22 written so far and I am throughly enjoying it! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6483877/1/Dear_Mr_Masen

I am very much enjoying everyones fanfic recommendations!! Keep them coming!!
SweetKay
ImageImage
TEAM EDWARD ~~ EX-FACTOR ADDICT ~~ WA ADDICT ~~ TEAM ALICE
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

I do understand that the epic love story is what draws people to the plot and the characters. But I still don't understand how you can say that Edward is human and has some over powering job and likes to dominate women and tricks Bella, who is a business intern or whatever, into being his sex slave or his mistress or whatever while Bella's roommate, Alice, who usually is a fashion designer, gives her sage advice like "If you aren't interested in the money, then I'll do him!" while Edward's business partner, Carlisle, deals with the thug, Emmett, that broke into their offices has anything to do with Twilight!. That's not an exact plot that's out there, but I've seen my fair share of things like this. How is this in anyway like Twilight? Why not just call it what it is - original fiction! I wonder if it's the actual character's that the fans like or just the idea of the smut that draws them in. That too many people wrote about and got tired of reading fics where Bella turns into a vampire and the sex is amazing, so they took everything as far from the original base as possible but yet the sex is still amazing.

I read tons and tons of fan fic where something "other" is set in "modern" times. Take Pride and Prejudice for example. My favorite modern take fan fic has Darcy as a wealthy concert pianist and Elizabeth as a jazzy, Broadway type singer. The fic shifts between New York and San Fransisco and is complicated by the fact that Darcy has a heart condition and Elizabeth was very nearly raped by a previous boyfriend. Quite different from the original - HOWEVER - Darcy still has a younger, impressionable sister who gets in a little trouble with Wickham. Elizabeth's best friend, Jane(instead of sister), falls in love with Darcy's best friend, Bingley and are separated because of social status. Elizabeth and Darcy have multiple miscommunications leading them to believe the other does or doesn't love them. It's all very recognizable and the fun, for me, is seeing how everything I know about the original characters will play out in this new setting. But when I read an AH fic in the Twilight world, I can't tell who is who from their characterizations really. Aside from their names and the fact that Edward is usually rich and Bella isn't, there isn't any similarity to the Twilight world.

So I pose the question - is it the actual characters of Edward and Bella that we are drawn to or is it the idea that someone named Edward, who has some power in the world, and someone named Bella, who is slightly weaker than this Edward, ends up in a complicated relationship where they have amazing sex? Do we like them or do we just like their names?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well, can't you see how your example of that modernized Pride and Prejudice is similar to many AH Twilight fics out there?

For me, it's not so much a question of transplanting the characters as is and putting them in another scenario. It's about putting the character of the character- that is, things that are intrinsic to the persona of the one in question. For example, Edward's overprotectiveness- in many AH fics, he still has this trait. As for your example, of Edward's being rich (especially in comparison with Bella), that is an extrinsic (that is, external to the character) quality not necessary for Edward to be Edward. You can have a poor Edward that is still overprotective, and he will still come across as Edward. Take away the overprotective streak however, and you start to lose what makes him, him.

For me, the same is true for their vampiric status. Especially since, in the novels, this is incredibly downplayed that it is no longer a horrifying factor. In the first novel, Bella might as well be going to a school with a certain clique of students who are incredibly beautiful, possibly anemic, so pale they almost glow, with an aversion to sunlight. Being a vampire only strengthens their character traits from when they were human- Stephenie herself has mentioned this. So I believe that their personas really are indicative of who they were back when they were human, and so AH fics (at least, the ones that do it right) are not a huge stretch of the imagination for me. :)
newborntwifan
Wandering Through Town

Post by newborntwifan »

Alphie, I have to agree with you that much of what you're describing is original fiction. I think we're just so desperate to hold on to the characters we love that even though some of the characters are Edward, Bella, and Alice (along with everyone else) in name only, we still consider it Twilight fanfic. And, of course, the sex is always going to draw readers...

I have read some amazing AH fics, though, that do attempt to capture the true spirit of our beloved characters. Edward is not a master manipulator over a weaker Bella, no one is a stripper or a sex slave, and there is actually something compelling beyond the physical nature of the relationship. For one reason or another Edward sees himself as a monster until he finds love with Bella, and Bella doesn't quite belong in her world until she finds Edward and the Cullens.

On the other hand, I've also read many AH fics that I've completely enjoyed that in all honesty don't relate to SM's characters at all. Not having read any other fanfiction aside from TW, though, I guess I have a limited perspective. I have enjoyed canon stories and non-canon stories alike, AU fics, and AH fics. For me it's just a matter of whether the characters and the story speak to me. There have been many others that I haven't enjoyed and have stopped reading, and those were stories that were either unoriginal, were poorly written, or were a little too graphic for me (what can I say, I guess I'm a little bit of a prude :oops: ).
newborntwifan
Wandering Through Town

Post by newborntwifan »

SweetKay wrote:
A recommendation!! Is anyone reading Dear Mr. Masen? It is a collaboration between jennde and Belladonna1472. Jennde wrote Finding Home, a much discussed fanfic. Here is the summary:

"Error 434: Reprimanding an executive." Life changing or just stupid? Dear Mr. Masen: A story of unauthorized Internet usage, culinary delights and the goings-on at Cullen, Inc. AH, ExB.

It is well written and has some laugh out loud moments. It is a WIP and I am currently on chapter 18 of 22 written so far and I am throughly enjoying it! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6483877/1/Dear_Mr_Masen

I am very much enjoying everyones fanfic recommendations!! Keep them coming!!

Please forgive the double-post. After my last post, I just went and read the first chapter of this fic and giggled the entire way through. Can't wait to keep reading! And I must agree, I'm enjoying all of your rec's as well!

Christy ;)
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

I went back to some of the earlier pages on this thread and found a real good fanfic read. It's called Expectations and Other Moving Pieces.

Very angsty, but it's more like real life. Like something like this could actually happen to any person. It is an A/H fanfic. I started to read it and couldn't put it down.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Alphie wrote:So I pose the question - is it the actual characters of Edward and Bella that we are drawn to or is it the idea that someone named Edward, who has some power in the world, and someone named Bella, who is slightly weaker than this Edward, ends up in a complicated relationship where they have amazing sex? Do we like them or do we just like their names?
I think this is definitely a good question. I tend to read mostly AH fanfics. One of the reasons being that the story Twilight has already been told brilliantly by Stephenie Meyer, and another being that as someone said, it is very difficult to write canon characters and it can easily turn out very bad. Some very good exceptions to that, I might add, among them some of our very own Lex members :)

I would not like the AH stories as much if they had not had Edward and Bella in them. It''s very important that you can recognize vampire Edward and Bella in the AH fanfics. If not, then it's just a story and doesn't hold the same interest for me. So in the fanfics that I've read and loved, you have your Edward who is troubled by who he is today and his past. And usually thinks himself as unworthy of love, and might also have done dispecable things. And you have Bella, loving and not accepting his self loathing. Even in the exotic dancer fanfic that Caryn referred to, you have that aspect, really. Bella is set to save Edward and have him accept that he is worth something, and in the end, Edward comes through and shows what all of his potential. So for me these fanfics is more than the E & B names. It has to do with defining characterics of the characters. As examples I would mention the writers behind Ex-factor, Wide Awake and Emancipation Proclamation, all of which I think does a fantastic job in staying true to the characters even if they're placed in a different setting.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

/le sigh

101 favorite stories on Twilighted and nothing updated... :cry: