A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by bac »

StarryEyed wrote:I just wanted to know if it would be possible for me to start a new thread. I am doing my thesis in college on female fandoms in critique of Twilight. I want to ask your members what twilight means to them, How it affects their life? and if it teaches them anything? I.E. Is there a deeper meaning for them behind the romance, characters etc.. I am exploring how the female fan is constructed in the media and am hoping to discover there is much more behind "hot guys" "screaming girls" and the general hysteria.
Thank you for your time.
Your responses to these questions can be posted here and any discussion as well.

This is now a general thesis related thread.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: What does Twilight mean to you--A thesis discussion

Post by marielle »

bac wrote:I want to ask your members what twilight means to them, How it affects their life? and if it teaches them anything?
easy Twilight means a lot more then hot guys and screaming girls....
Before it all became the big hype the books were already very popular. In Holland it was different first came the movie Twilight and then all the sudden everybody wanted to read the books.

What twilight means for me?.... It's an escape, a fantasy, in which you can loose yourself...the whole fandom for me is an oppertunity to meet new people and discus the books, movies, actors and letting of some steam....it makes me feel like I'm 16 again...

How it affects my life?..... Well it makes it very hard to focus knowing that just click away is my little world....the books are different, they affect me in away that I can see things differently... loosing weight is suddenly not difficult anymore, because if Edward could stop from killing Bella, I certainly can stop having this or that sweets/chocolate.
It also made me see my love life differently, I knew after reading the books what was missing and how to work on that... it made life better.

What i have learned from it, to follow your heart, and not always listen to reason...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
StarryEyed
Settled in Forks

Post by StarryEyed »

Thanks for replying. It is really appreciated. :P
Edwards_Bella
Learning to Love Green

Post by Edwards_Bella »

what twilight means to them?
ok, so, for me twilight is a place i can escape to. because i've seen the movie i can now read the books more proficiantly and it has more of an effect on the place i am when reading the books.

How it affects their life?
DRAMATICALLY!!! it takes me to places i wish to be and i've found myself writing poems about edward and my longing to be a vampire. (i'm constantly cold...) i was asked once 'would i prefer to be a vampire or a human?' i said i wanted to be a vampire...they only need to worry about not hurting people.

and if it teaches them anything?
it's taught me not to take things for granted and to love with all i am.
<3 Look after my heart - I've left it with you <3
Click on the egg
Dje
Settled in Forks

A thesis on Twilight

Post by Dje »

Hi there!

I’m a Swiss student living in London and I’m writing my Master’s degree s in Anthropology on Twilight.
Are you interested in making science progress and makins a good action by thinking and writing about Twilight?

I’m looking for people who are interested in Twilight and who would agree to share their experience with the world of Twilight. I’d be really grateful if some of you would spend a little of your time telling about your opinion on different aspects of Stephanie Meyer’s saga.

It a good opportunities for your to express yourself on this topic in a official academic study and be a part of something different. I think we all have something to learn trying new experiences …You may be surprised!

I really hope I’ll have news from you soon. Sorry to have wasted your time if you’re not interested.

Thank you so much for your help!

Dje
rapid_reader1
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Watching for The Vampire Diaries season two, and Glee season two!!

Re: A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by rapid_reader1 »

What does Twilight mean to me?
Twilight, just like every book, is an escape away from whatever drama is going on. Twilight can make me feel angry, excited, calm, and every emotion in between. Twilight teaches me to follow my heart and never give up.

How does Twilight affect my life?
Twilight made me start writing again, which I very much enjoy. I found some of my favorite bands from her playlist. I read book other than Harry Potter, which was basically all I read for years. I've joined this site and made many friends who feel the same way I do about books. I learned that it's ok to be different, since I was talking about vampires in public back when people would give you funny looks when you said the v word.

What have I learned from Twilght?
I've learned, as I said before, that it's ok to be different. I learned that there are many things that make you what you are, and for the Twilight characters, being a vampire isn't who they are, but it's part of it. I've learned not to settle for what I can get, but to work for what comes harder. I've learned to appreciate my friends. I look at the big picture and learn both sides before I make a decision.

Vampire Academy forever! Team Damirian because both own my heart

ALSEW Awesome League of Extraordinary SKIT Writers

ILoveAliceCullen<3 is the best VFF ever!
franjjj
Settled in Forks

Student needing Twilight Fans help!!!

Post by franjjj »

Hello everybody! :D
I hope this post is allowed, I have already read the rules to the forums!
I am a University Student from England, and I am currently working on a mini dissertation towards my degree. I am focusing on Fan Cultures, specifically fans of Twilight! (A good excuse to read the books and watch the films again too!) It is also to see how other forms of media (such as websites, forums, magazines, books, tv slots dedicated to Twilight, etc) keep Twilight fans dedicated and interested, and how the media also creates more fans.
I have designed a questionnaire, which consists of 25 short questions, and although a number of people have already taken it, I would love some fans who are members of the Twilight Lexicon forums to also take part. The questionnaire should take a few minutes. I can email the questionnaire to you, or message it via facebook, which is how I have been able to contact other fans.
It would be brilliant if anyone who is a dedicated Twilight fan could help me! I don't need your name or any details - just your answers.
Thank you very much to anyone that can help me - I'd appreciate it!
Fran
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

^I'd be willing to take your questionnaire. :D Feel free to pm it to me. :D

Twilight is like my escape. It's a way to push back the stressful in my life, and to help me get away from all of my own drama in my life. Twilight give's me hope. I mean, who wouldn't want to find a true love, let alone two? Twilight is also a means of connecting myself with other teens who have things in common with me.

How it affects my life?
Twilight affects my life dramatically. It's something that defines me, and what I am. No, I'm not a vampire, but I'm a girl who hopes for a good future. Twilight is a great series, and this is because I am able to relate myself to it. It is written in a way that I can actually place myself in a setting where I can fall in love with wonderful guys (even if it is only in my dreams...) Whenever I feel sad and depressed, all I have to do is pull out the books, movie, or even Twilight Lexicon and I am able to feel better. Twilight has also inspired me to write my own books. My writing has improved greatly since reading the series. It also opened up another huge genre of books for me to lose myself in.

What i have learned from it?
I've learned that it is okay to be unique. I've learned to think about my options before making a big decision. I've learned that people should look beyond the differences in order to see someone for what they really are. I've learned that everyone can have some sort of a fairy tale.
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
franjjj
Settled in Forks

Re: Student needing Twilight Fans help!!!

Post by franjjj »

franjjj wrote:Hello everybody! :D
I hope this post is allowed, I have already read the rules to the forums!
I am a University Student from England, and I am currently working on a mini dissertation towards my degree. I am focusing on Fan Cultures, specifically fans of Twilight! (A good excuse to read the books and watch the films again too!) It is also to see how other forms of media (such as websites, forums, magazines, books, tv slots dedicated to Twilight, etc) keep Twilight fans dedicated and interested, and how the media also creates more fans.
I have designed a questionnaire, which consists of 25 short questions, and although a number of people have already taken it, I would love some fans who are members of the Twilight Lexicon forums to also take part. The questionnaire should take a few minutes. I can email the questionnaire to you, or message it via facebook, which is how I have been able to contact other fans.
It would be brilliant if anyone who is a dedicated Twilight fan could help me! I don't need your name or any details - just your answers.
Thank you very much to anyone that can help me - I'd appreciate it!
Fran
Would be great if anybody else could spare a few minutes? Sorry to bother anyone! My thesis is due in soon - it would be great to have a wide range of answers from other fans. Thank you! x
willowtree
Eating Spaghetti with Billy
Location: Kicking butt with her awesome Ninjasissyvildypuceowner!

Post by willowtree »

Twilight's sometimes my safe haven, the place where I can get away, and know there's always a happy ending. It relates to problems in my life, and can sometimes help my understand what's going on.

How does Twilight affect my life?

I can relate everything to Twilight. It's given my a book I can read over and over again, and love more every time. It's opened me to a world of books that I would've never read if it weren't for Twilight.

What have I learned from Twilght?

I've learned that anyone can be a famous writer; anyone can achieve their dream. You don't have to be rich, famous, or anything like that, you only need inspiration.

~h. f. e. l.

-Hanni

(banner=not mine.)