Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by dazzledBrit »

browneyedgirl25 wrote: did they really make love in the water for the first time? i know the scene leaves off with them in the water but for some reason i always pictured it as ending up in the bedroom! haha pretty random to want to know this, but now i am curious!
We'd have to get SM's opinion I think, but I always assumed that they'd messed around a bit in the water, but then gone back to bed. Bella would've been in too much danger of drowning if they'd tried to have sex in the water IMO! :lol:

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

Actually, I kinda figured it would be something like this. I didn't think Edward would really hurt her, but obviously he had no experience (as a human) of how easy it is to get injured having sex...and I'd think it would be normal to get a bit carried away first time when they'd been together so long without going all the way.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

Total Edward, lol....and he obviously hadn't considered this properly as he was a virgin himself. Being Edward, I don't see how he could/would react any other way.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

Seems to be a bit of a vege-vamp thing. Money doesn't mean much to any of the Cullens and they're all very intense in their love.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

I figured Bella would get round that somehow...it's her honeymoon! :D
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
Nope. I figured she would be hurt in some way shape or form. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. I was suprised she coudln't remember being hurt.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
I think he was. I mean, here is the love of his life hurt and bruised up and he realizes that HE did it.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think it is most definitly. He sees how good Carlisle is to Esme and he has been with them for so long it would be hard NOT to be that way.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I thought he would. It happend a lot like I thought it would. He loved her so much that he wanted to give Bella what she wanted.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

I thought she would be hurt much worse! From the buildup they'd been talking about since Twilight, I thought it was like life or death almost... a few bruises, thats nothing!

Of course. Is he suppose to lie to her? He physically hurt her (not in an abusive way..), it's probably coming out wrong, but the way Edward felt about it was he left bruises on her and that's something he'd never want to do ever.. it hurt him to see her like that. But no, he shouldn't have lied to her. They talked about it and resolved it.

I imagine some of it was from when he was a human, but being around Carlisle for so long, it probably wore off on him. He's very old fashioned and it's exactly the kind of way I expected Edward to act. I think it's sweet,.. he already gives her love and patience and it's not a horrible thing to want to give her more either.

Bella is pretty convincing, and now that they know what to expect, I imagine it won't be as hard as the first time.. I have faith Bella will con Edward into some more romping! lol
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I believe in Edwards will power, and because he never really wanted to hurt Bella he didn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect him to lie to her. He physically hurt her and he felt bad and thought it was worse than he could see. And sense he can't read her mind how could he of know it wasn't?

I always imagined it was learned but not from Carlisle but from is human father, like it could of been a trait he carried on from 17 years of watching him. But it is more likely to pick it up in almost a hundred years

Even though Edward is very very stubborn, Bella is more cunning and uses what she has againts him. I had faith that she would get here way what ever that may be
**Kathryn**
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

I believe in Edwards will power, and because he never really wanted to hurt Bella he didn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect him to lie to her. He physically hurt her and he felt bad and thought it was worse than he could see. And sense he can't read her mind how could he of know it wasn't?

I always imagined it was learned but not from Carlisle but from is human father, like it could of been a trait he carried on from 17 years of watching him. But it is more likely to pick it up in almost a hundred years

Even though Edward is very very stubborn, Bella is more cunning and uses what she has againts him. I had faith that she would get here way what ever that may be
**Kathryn**
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't think she would get as hurt as she did. I expected Edward to hold back, but I can that he didn't. Can't blame him, lol.

No, he kind of ruined the moment.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behavior. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

I wasn't sure what to make of that. I still find a interesting quote, or more hard to understand. I always figured it was his nature.

I figured he wouldn't have sex with her again. He's always pretty much stayed to his choices. Well, unless there is some compromise. I didn't think Bella would be able to convince him and surprisingly, she does, lol.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
Nursrached
Settled in Forks

Post by Nursrached »

I expected that she would be hurt worse. He had so much difficulty just kissing her. I expected the possibility of him losing control.

I think Edward was devastated that he hurt Bella. He has always been her protector. He had a difficult time comprehending the idea that he had brought her pleasure by hurting her. I believe that he was trying to share with her that he was at the point of losing control and it terrified him. He was sharing his vulnerability with her. He was angry with himself. He thought she was being dishonest and trying to protect him. Unfortunately, it soured Bella's moment.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think Edward learned the generous behavior from his mother. She gave her life to save him. I believe Carlisle continued that example but it was already deeply within Edward at that point.

I did expect Edward would falter on this promise. He loves Bella with his soul. He would never deny her wishes.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I already knew of the outcome, and I still thought it was a bit odd.

I think that was a bit mean... He should have been more gentle with his explanations.

It might be -- I don't know anything about how Edward was before he was changed. It makes sense, though -- Carlisle is quite generous.

I knew he would.
abbyweyr
Settled in Forks

Post by abbyweyr »

1. turn out that way? I thought there would be at least some bruising. It sounds like Bella had more than I was expecing.

2. justified in spoiling her mood? yes and no. I've read about half the pages in this thread. One thing not mentioned is Edward had all that time while Bella slept to think about what happened and to see the bruises start. We know he overthinks things. He has seen the memories of Esme and Rosalie being sexually abused. I think that plays a part in his reaction, even thought he did not mean to hurt her and likely didn't even know he was holding her tightly enough to bruise her. And that lack of awareness would add to his concern. I think that neither one takes the time to really listen and to really say what they should say to help the other understand. Edward was feeling guilty about hurting her and Bella disregards his feelings. Bella is blissed out and for her she isn't hurting and Edward disregards her feelings. They are both saying they know what and how the other should be feeling, when the other isn't feeling that way at all.

3. generosity learned? I wondered about this when read it. I think generosity is part of Edward's basic personality. Examples from both sets of parents helped in being generous in both time and money.

4. keep promise not to make love with Bella again? waking up from a dream crying and the spontaneous attack by his wife was likely the only way it could have happened. Pleading and logic while a wake would not have overcome his resolve. Though he should have thought better of himself and realized that the first time would have been the worse just because he didn't know what to expect. Maybe that is something he came to realize as Bella was crying and asking. Loved their conversation when she woke up from their second time.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I didn't think he'd hurt her at all, and my attitude to the bruises that she received was pretty much the same as Bella's.

I think he needed to tell her how he felt about what happened. He does try and put it aside for her sake, in spite of refusing to make love to her again.

I think he was like that already, but seeing Carlisle do it too probably only strengthened his desire to do it.

I sure hoped so, or I was going to be as disappointed as Bella!