Chapter 22: Promised

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

Thanks go to Una for this chapter.

1. The chapter is called “Promised”, why? What is the significance?

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement?

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting?

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities?

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out?

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done?
TeamEmmit
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 22: Promised

Post by TeamEmmit »

by Alphie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks go to Una for this chapter.

The name of the chapter is referring to the fact that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement?

I think the family is doing the right thing by being so cautious about Bella meeting Renesmee because she is a new born. We see that it is invalid, but that's only because Bella is so different from a normal newborn. I think Edward did deserve The chastisement because he didn't check for humans in that area before he encouraged Bella to start hunting if she was a normal newborn the people would have been dead.

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting?

I think Jacob was valid in being cautios but once he saw Bella was in control it was unjustified to not let Renesmee go when Bella was trying to hold her.

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities?

I love Renesmee! I did not guess she would be gifted but it make sense that it would run in the family. I think her gift is awesome and very useful because she doesn't talk yet.

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out?

I was completely blown away by Bella's reaction. I am so confused as to why she would be so furious because she knows he didn't choose to do it. It's a lot to take in at once so maybe it is better he let her meet Renesmee, first. He knew she would figure it out.

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done?

I think Bella was overreacting because she already knew Jacob had a huge significance in her life and this just explained it all.
I think it was the most "normal" newborn reaction she experienced, though. I would be relived to understand the unexplainable need, thankful that my best friend didn't hate me, and happy that he was finally happy. I would not have tried to attack him.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

It has to do with Jake's imprint on Renesmee, IMO.

Alice seemed to be the only sane one among the rest of the family when it came to Renesmee. Sure, Bella was a newborn with fantastic control, and the only two that knew that were Edward and Alice, and maybe Jazz, picking up on her emotions. The rest of them just didn't know.

Her first hunting trip I'd be surprised too. Most newborns run straight towards the smell of human blood and Bella want in the other direction. Edward did deserve some of the chastisement for not smelling out the humans, but I do think that some of it also belongs to Alice. She could see the future, and should have known where they were going, and given Edward the heads up.

I think it's sweet that she's taken on a lot of Edward in her, but I still wonder what parts of Bella's human aspects she took on aside from the eyes and the curls.

Her being gifted is not much of a surprise. Children tend to take on parts of their parents and extended family that tend to be dominate, like where both Edward and Bella had gifts, and Charlie slightly quiet brain, she was bound to get something in that regards.

Her letting everyone in is a difference between her and Bella and Charlie. Both of them tended to keep people at a length, and she let them in. Her being able to show people what she wanted was quite a difference between Edward and her because Edward couldn't seem to make up his mind at times.

Not really because there was never a chance for it just to be Edward, Bella and their daughter. Bella and Edward would always have to factor in Jake and Renesmee relationship when they make any choices in regards to her.

I can kinda see why he didn't tell Bella what had happened with his imprinting, but I think she mighta taken it slightly better if she had a heads up about the whole imprint.

I do think she was partially justified in what she had done in attacking Jake.Jake imprinting fine, whatever, be the child was less than four days old and practically engaged to be married, and Bella hadn't had any time with her daughter. It's always going to be Bella, Edward, Renesmee, and Jake when she's growing up. If Renesmee grew like a normal child, I don't think Bella was justified in attacking Jake, but with the excelled growth I can kinda see it.

I probably would have done the exact same thing or something similar if I had found out something like that.
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I think it has to do with Jake imprinting on Renesmee. She is sort of promised to him and this is where Bella finds out about it.

I thought they were WAY overreacting with her hunting. They would know if something was going to go wrong because Alice could see if Bella were going to do something wrong. They could see that Bella was way more controlled than any other newborn so they shouldn't have doubted her. Carlisle shouldn't have been so hard on Edward either. Edward wasn't going to let Bella do anything she would regret. Although they were overreacting with Renesmee too, I can see why they would. No one knew how Bella would react to Renesmee because they had never seen anything like Renesmee before. I do think they should have given Bella a little credit though, after all, it was her daughter not some stranger.

Jacob was seriously annoying me here. I understand that he was worried about Renesmee and so yes, being overly protective was justified. However, Bella was surrounded by a room full of super fast vampires and he needed to let Bella have time with her daughter. I wish he would have backed off enough to at least allow Bella to hold her daughter. He didn't have to leave but clinging to Renesmee was a little ridiculous.

I like Renesmee. I like how she has managed to wrap everyone around her little fingers because they were all so skeptical about her in the beginning. No, I'm not surprised that Renesmee is gifted. Edward is gifted and so is Bella so it seems only natural that Renesmee would be gifted as well. I love her gift, especially the fact that Bella can enjoy it as well. One of my favorite parts is where Bella can watch Renesmee's dreams. Her rapid growth did sort of worry me but I didn't really think she would live a short life because that would just ruin the story.

I think Bella's reacting was a natural reaction. She already knew what it was like for Jacob to love Renesmee because of Quil and Claire. But, Renesmee is Bella's baby and her first reaction is going to be to protect her baby, not to understand what Jacob is feeling about her. It was a bit cowardly of Jacob to not just come out and tell Bella what was going on. Bella might have been more willing to listen to what he had to say if he had told her flat out instead of her guessing.

Well, considering that Bella is a newborn vampire with potentially violent tendencies she may have overreacted just a tad (sarcasm intended). If she had been in complete control of herself she probably would have been mad and maybe even tried to take a swing at Jake, but I doubt she would have tried to kill him. If I were Bella and in her situation I probably would have reacted the same way. Who wouldn't? Jacob is a man saying he loves a baby and Bella knows that means he will some day be IN love with that baby, so naturally, this upset her.
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

It has to do with Jacob and Renesmee I think.

I think it was amusing. I liked how proud Edward was and how he was telling the story. Of course they were valid to protect Renesmee. They didn't really know how easily Bella could control her body. Edward deserved his chastisement because he couldn't know that Bella would be in control as she was. It was not to be expected and Edward couldn't have stopped her because she was stronger than him at that point. If she really wanted to kill the humans, it would have happened. I was glad the family gave her more credit after they found it out.

Yes he was overreacting. Not in the beginning of course, because he couldn't know how much in control he was. But after he figured that out, he should have given her more credit. I thought he was very annoying at this point. How he didn't want to let get of her when Bella wanted to hold her. I was like omg Jake let it go. She is her daughter. I didnt like Jake's imprinting in the beginning.

I really like her. She is really sweet it seems. Some people are annoyed by the fact that she is so perfect, but I don't mind. I like how she wraps everyone around her fingers. I'm not surprised at all, with such a gifted mother and father. Of course we didn't know yet that Bella was gifted here, but we could have figured that out, with her silent mind and everything. I like how she flipped Edwards talent and how she always knows what she wants. I like that she is also a bit shy, just as her mother was.

Hmm. I' m not sure whether he should have told her himself or not. Maybe if he had time to explain it she wouldn't have overreacted like that. I don't she overreacted. I would be annoyed too, if someone kept my daughter away from me, when I haven't seen her at all after her birth. I thought it was annoying how Jake kept stealing her lines and everything. She just wanted some time with her daughter. She just wasn't ready to share her already, when she didn't really know her herself. I'm not sure how to explain, but I can understand how she felt. She barely knows her here, and Jake knows her better and he kept her from her daughter, even though it was only for her safety

I don't think it is justified, but I think I would have reacted the same way. I didn't like it much either in the beginning. It felt like he was really stealing her daughter and claiming her already, when Bella didn't have any time with her. I would have done the exact same thing. I think it was really crazy that Bella kept from attacking so long. I don't think I would have been able to.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

Something to do with Renesmee and Jake, because this is the chapter where Bella finds out about them.

Yes, they were valid feelings because they didn't know she was so good at this already. Yes Edward deserved the chastisement because think about what COULD have happened, if she didn't have such awesome control.

Jake couldn't help himself. He'll always worry about Renesmee like that, if not because of Bella, then SOMETHING, surely.

I love Renesmee, it surprised me when she called them Momma and Daddy and Grandpa though, but that's because I have a little trouble seeing them as parents, just like Charlie has a hard time seeing himself as a grandfather. Yes, I was surprised she's gifted. I like the gift she got.

Well, Bella had to crack sometime, apparently. And she didn't even attack him until she found out Jake was calling her Nessie. She's always figuring out what's going on with Jake, because she knows him so well.

I don't know if I would have attacked him or not so I also don't know if she's justified in doing it.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. The chapter is called “Promised”, why? What is the significance? At first I didn't know what it meant. Now I think it's because this is where we find out that Jacob has imprinted on Renesmee.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement? I think they were justified & Edward deserved it. He should have been more careful we never know what could have happened.

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting? I thought he was overreacting & he really bugged me.

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities? I was surprised at first that she was gifted. She sounds like just an adorable, sweet baby.

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out? Ithought she was totally justified in her reaction. I loved the fact that she was mad at first and just wasn't like oh well, he finally imprinted. I don't understand why Jacob made her figure it out for herself though. He should have been MAN enough to tell her what was going on. Yet another example of his stupid, teenage, immaturity.

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done? I thought she was totally justified in her reaction. I was cheering her on when she attacked him. I think I would have done the same thing, I don't blame her at all.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

Wow the first time I get to reply to a new thread!

1. The chapter is called “Promised”, why? What is the significance? I think it is because Jake imprints on Renesmee

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement? I think they reacted like normal exactly their personality showing through in that second. Bella just wanted to hold her baby to feel and to know what the others did. I'm undecided as far as whether or not Edward should have been chastised I see both sides

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting? Jake was totally overreacting...If Bella didn't hold her breath and run away like she promised herself then she wasn't going to do anything. Of course how could Jake know that.

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities? I think Renesmee is an interesting twist to the story. I am not at all suprised that she is gifted considering the talents that her mother and father have

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out? I think right up until she attacked Jake she was doing well as far as losing her temper. Since he knows Bella so well, maybe thats why he was so reluctant to admit the connection he had with her daughter because she had barely met the child herself

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done? Just a side note I was kinda suprised that she automatically connected the nickname "Nessie" to the Loch Ness Monster. Considering her reaction to that I can more easily understand why Jake was uncomfortable admitting to her what he'd done. I think she was justified and if i were in her shoes I may have reacted the same.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
AliceluvsJasper2eva
Wandering Through Town

Post by AliceluvsJasper2eva »

ikr i have not found a new one that did not have at least 281 post just 8 post, so thanks .....lol

This chapter is when Jacob imprints on Renesmee.

Um.... i think personally that Bella did good as on her first hunting trip and that everybody should have cut her some slack, but they were just being cautious for her sake, edward's, and renesmee's. When bella met Renesmee i thought that she was not going to be able to control her actions and attack her but what i found out while reading was fascinating. With bella being a newborn i thought that the human blood thing would overcome her, but she just wanted to hold her baby "her little nudger". To feel like the mom she always knew she was. Um....i personally think that Edward deseved and did not deserve the chastisement. He should have been a little more careful in the area with bella as a newborn, but i think that he/her did good as being careful and accurate in the area with the humans around.

Jacob was overreacting a lot with Bella as a new born and meeting his soulmate. With the couragement of Alice and Edward and herself she would have never got done with it, but she did.

Oh...i love Renesmee for everything that she is capatable of um......i think that she is brave and honest and loving just like Esme. Her gift is super special, of course i knew that Renesmee would be gifted because both of her parents are gifted. I think that Renesmee's is special because she can show you everything that she knows or is thinking in just one touch of the palm of her hand on a body part of a human or vampire.

I think that bella's reaction was the perfect one, because here is a mother that has only seen her baby for what? two days. And with the measurements increasing day by day she will be 15 in 4 years. Now here is her best friend..NO!..more than a best friend almost like a boyfriend and he has imprinted making Renesmee his soulmate in his eyes. So she is angry and mad about what Jacob has done...and she don't want to give her baby up yet. I did not appreciate how Jacob hid the situation as important as this. I think that bella would have reacted the same way even if Jacob came up and told the truth instead of her figuring out.

I think that bella is both justified and overreacting in her actions. See Jacob can't help that his imprinting got in the way and ended up on Bella's baby. That is just how the shapeshifters find there mates...no problem. If i was in Bella's shoes i would have done the same thing. Protecting what is mine and only mine. If i was a newborn and had found out that my friend imprinted on my baby i would have done the same thing...ATTACKED....or at least tried.
Emmett and Edward are the hottest vampires alive!!!!
inhiding
Settled in Forks

Post by inhiding »

At first, I thought this just had to do with Jacob imprinting- you know, that he was "promised" to Renesmee. But then I went back and reread the chapter, because that just didn't feel right to me. I thought it was interesting that a few times in this chapter, the "promise" they refer to is that Edward promised not to tell Bella. That he would make such a promise to Jacob, and keep something from Bella, infers a sort of shift in the dynamics between Edward and Jacob. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this seems like a pivotal point between all of them.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement? Again, I don't understand how the family forgets that they themselves practiced restraint as newborns. Rosalie tells Bella that she has never spilled human blood, Carlisle realized what he was and denied his nature and chose to feed on animals almost immediately. Surely Edward and Esme followed Carlisle's ways as a newborn. Maybe Emmett messed up a few times, and certainly Jasper had. I can't be 100% sure of Alice as a newborn, except that Edward- at some point in the series- says that because of her foresight, she was able to control herself and could have been completely feral if she hadn't known of Carlisle's coven. But it seems to me like the family should just know better. The one consideration I hadn't thought of was expressed when Esme says "We should have gone with you" which was that since Bella was stronger than Edward, she could have overtaken him if she had hunted the humans and he had stood in her way.

The way the family is so scared of how she reacts with Renessmee REALLY got on my nerves. For goodness sakes, that's her daughter, her own flesh and blood! I can understand being protective, but it was really frustrating. (very well written, thank you Stephenie!)

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting? I see so many parallels between Jacob and Edward right here. Yes, Jacob was really overdoing it to keep Renessmee safe. Remind you of anyone? Add to the fact that it's within his nature to protect his family/tribe from the neighborhood vampires, and I imagine that instinct was kicked up a notch (or 10) when he imprinted. I think it was absolutely justified from his own perspective, I don't think he could have done anything any differently.

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities? Creepy baby. I was surprised that she would be gifted, and it makes you think about whether or not certain "gifts" or special abilities are passed down from the parents. I love how- I think it's described later- Bella hides her surprise with a sweet smile at her daughter, but really thinking in the back of her mind- OMG!

I honestly don't think Bella was necessarily mad about Jacob's relationship with Jacob, except that it meant he was already closer to Renesmee than she was. Fortunately, she understands that it doesn't mean he wants a good snoggin' with an infant- just that he's there to protect her, love her, just as naturally -er, surpernaturally- as the rest of them. I think that Jacob knows Bella well enough to be afraid to outright blurt it out. I think he was trying to wait for the right time, but again, his protective instinct was just ratched up and he couldn't help himself. But, back to Bella, it's SO FRUSTRATING that this baby- who she has been fighting for all this time, loving so deeply since that first moment of realization- is there within reach but everyone is holding them both apart. And then, as she said, to think that he has some sort of claim on her already... well, I think that's what pushed her.

You know, she was just expressing her anger and holding her own rather well, until he said that stupid nickname. Bella knows, too, that Jacob would heal easily... I'm just sayin'....