Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by bac »

What are your concerns?
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Jazz Girl »

My first concern can be summed up in two words, a name now synonymous with not getting it; Melissa Rosenberg. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about that. So, my hope is that Bill Condon, whose Oscar nods are for screenwriting, and with SM as a producer on the film, might might might just temper the crapton of mistakes and misinterpretations that she seems to make.

But, overall, my largest concern at this point is the fan reaction we are all seeing. Most fans have spent the majority of the last two years lamenting the shift in focus from the love story to the action/battles. Now, all of a sudden, all I see and hear is, "man, I really hope they add a little action to that last battle with the Volturi. It ended way to easily." I can't fathom the 180. It doesn't make sense to me and it scares me that Summit might take this as cart blanche to just rewrite the ending to fit what they perceive as what should happen. What's next? She chooses Jacob in the end? *shudders*
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Caryn, well said girl! I have a feeling MR would put a LOT of emphasis on the Jacob part, making that seem more important than the first Bella part. yes his part is a large chunk of the book, has GREAT important parts, I think bella 1 and bella 2 is JUST as important.

I am worried about how they will do the birthing scene. It was so bloody to me the way Stephanie described it. On one hand, it could be a horrifically gory scene, whereas they would have to make the movie a R-rating. Or it could be so tame, there is hardly any blood.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I have to disagree about the action. It's the last movie, and it's all been building up to this. A big chunk of the book is focused on the Volturi coming to whipe out the Cullen family. I would love an epic battle at the end. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if a Cullen or two were killed, but that's just my humble opinion. It's just because I wasn't really satisfied with that portion of the book, so I personally wouldn't mind if it were to be changed.

I also really hope that they get the Jacob imprinting on Renesmee thing right and not make Jake look like a pedophile because that could be screwed up so easily. I don't even like that it happened in the first place, so they better make it look as non pedo-ish as possible.

A fade to black love scene would really dissapoint me. It happened, and there is no denying it. We even have living breathing proof, so why not show it to us? It can be done in a tasteful way.

Another thing I'm worried about his how they're going to show the wolves communicating telepathically. Cheesy subtitles are a no-no.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

DramaPrincezz013 wrote:Another thing I'm worried about his how they're going to show the wolves communicating telepathically. Cheesy subtitles are a no-no.
I was wondering about that as well. I honestly don't know how they will do that. The only thing I could think of is a voicover perhaps?
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

DramaPrincezz013 wrote:I have to disagree about the action. It's the last movie, and it's all been building up to this. A big chunk of the book is focused on the Volturi coming to whipe out the Cullen family. I would love an epic battle at the end. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if a Cullen or two were killed, but that's just my humble opinion. It's just because I wasn't really satisfied with that portion of the book, so I personally wouldn't mind if it were to be changed.
But that's NOT WHAT HAPPENED. SM's ending was absolutely brilliant in that it was completely Cullen-esque. The Cullens ALWAYS looked for the peaceful solution first, looked to negotiation and even retreat if it meant avoiding losing a member of the family. Yes, they would fight if there was no other option. Once all other alternatives had been exhausted, then they had absolutely no problem ripping the life out of their enemies. But, even in that, look at how they planned the battle. Their strategy was to try to get the Volturi to surrender in the fight before too many could be lost by taking out their strongest fighters first, cripple the offensive guard and bring them down WITHOUT having to kill all of them. Turning the end of the film into a bloodbath because we humans are more bloodthirsty than the vampires? That's just not right. And if they do, then calling it The Twilight Saga; Breaking Dawn would be a lie.

DramaPrincezz013 wrote:Another thing I'm worried about his how they're going to show the wolves communicating telepathically. Cheesy subtitles are a no-no.
There are so many ways to do this without cheezy subtitles it's not even worth concern. It will most likely be a voiceover scenario. Easy and simple.
SwanCullen wrote:I am worried about how they will do the birthing scene. It was so bloody to me the way Stephanie described it. On one hand, it could be a horrifically gory scene, whereas they would have to make the movie a R-rating. Or it could be so tame, there is hardly any blood.
This one's a little more problematic, but definitely not without it's solutions. Just like the fight scene in Twilight had to be "adlibbed" because Bella was mostly unconcious for most of it, it would be pretty easy to shoot Ness' birth from a similar perspective in that maybe bringing the camera, seeing through Bella's eyes, in and out of focus, so you see Edward's siloueete and/or shape "delivering" Ness, but not all the gore.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I hadn't thought of it that way. I still think that there should be SOME blood though. What would be cool is if they show Jacob hitting Rosealie keeping her away from Bella.
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

Jazz Girl wrote: But that's NOT WHAT HAPPENED. SM's ending was absolutely brilliant in that it was completely Cullen-esque. The Cullens ALWAYS looked for the peaceful solution first, looked to negotiation and even retreat if it meant avoiding losing a member of the family. Yes, they would fight if there was no other option. Once all other alternatives had been exhausted, then they had absolutely no problem ripping the life out of their enemies. But, even in that, look at how they planned the battle. Their strategy was to try to get the Volturi to surrender in the fight before too many could be lost by taking out their strongest fighters first, cripple the offensive guard and bring them down WITHOUT having to kill all of them. Turning the end of the film into a bloodbath because we humans are more bloodthirsty than the vampires? That's just not right. And if they do, then calling it The Twilight Saga; Breaking Dawn would be a lie.
I understand that. I also understand that most Twilight fans would disagree with me. Like I said, I was simply stating my opinion, and I feel there is nothing wrong with that. However, I do strongly feel that the meeting with the Volturi cannot go without at least some action, and it will inevitably be added in (like with New Moon) because it wouldn't translate well without it.

Might I also add that I wasn't going for "bloodthirsty." I was leaning more towards epic and emotional. Not some horror-filled bloodbath.
Jazz Girl wrote: There are so many ways to do this without cheezy subtitles it's not even worth concern. It will most likely be a voiceover scenario. Easy and simple.
The problem is is that voiceovers can also be very cheesy if not done right, but they seem to be the best solution. I agree that comparitively, it's a very minor concern.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Thanks for the topic!

I'm worried because if they stay true the story, it won't be a very good movie. There is too much that needs to be changed for it to work on screen.

I do NOT think they need to stay true to the whole Edward chewing the baby free birth scene. Just seems too out there to see on screen, I think.

Imprinting... this is going to be tough. The books provide enough lead up and build up in understand the whole imprinting thing that when it happened with a teenager and a new born, we were able to handle it, mostly, lol. But they won't be able to do that as well in a movie. Also, seeing it is totally different from reading. I never realized this until I read and then saw The Time Traveler's Wife. Never realized how creepy all those meadow scenes where he visits her when he is 20 and older and she like 10. Creepy.

Special effects- Renesmee- is she going to be an actor, CGI, a mix of both... I'm worried about how they will get her level of intelligence across and her rapid growth. Also, Bella's shield... how is that going to look?

I also don't think they should add a fight at all. It would make a little more sense that the out of place fight they threw in for New Moon (and how exactly did they survive that? What happened to Jane and her brother's powers...?)

The sheer number of characters in this book could get complicated too.

I honestly don't think this movie is going to work. They will either have to change so much for it to work on screen that the fans will be very unhappy or they won't change enough and it will be really cheesy.

Anyway, those are my concerns.

In all fairness, I am not a fan of this book. I think SM went a little too far with some things and that she should have taken more advice from her editors. For this reason, I am also worried about her being a producer. Wish she had been on the others, but wish she would stay away from this one and let them make the changes that (I think) will be needed to make the movie work.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Jazz Girl wrote:But, overall, my largest concern at this point is the fan reaction we are all seeing. Most fans have spent the majority of the last two years lamenting the shift in focus from the love story to the action/battles. Now, all of a sudden, all I see and hear is, "man, I really hope they add a little action to that last battle with the Volturi. It ended way to easily." I can't fathom the 180. It doesn't make sense to me and it scares me that Summit might take this as cart blanche to just rewrite the ending to fit what they perceive as what should happen. What's next? She chooses Jacob in the end? *shudders*
I totally agree with you. My greatest fear is that they don't stay faithful for the book only to please to the audience. I was so glad that Stephenie work on this movie. I hope she will stay true with herself and her book. :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157