A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Review Time: The I Loved Bree Tanner Thread

Post by December »

TeamBellaAlltheWay wrote:This is sort of pointless in asking, but did anyone else think that the 'Close your eyes' at the end (Edward talking to Bella) was actually meant for Bree in some way, as well?

Without a doubt. It's a stunning moment.

Stephenie confirmed this in the fansites interview she gave for the launch of Bree Tanner. I can't now seem to find a link to the relevant transcript (and I know I saw it somewhere!), but see here for notes on the Q & A.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

^^ I agree on that. I think it was meant for both Bella and Bree.

I finished the book on the weekend and it was better than I expected, which is good. I got quite engrossed in it and wanted to see how things panned out. Obviously I knew the ending but it was a great read quite refreshing and interesting to find out about the fight etc. from someone elses viewpoint. I thought it was written well and I didnt want to put it down! I especially liked the bit where Bree meets the Cullens and seeing them from a different angle.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

Post by Oh-Marvelous-Things »

funkidiva wrote:.
I thought it was written well and I didnt want to put it down! I especially liked the bit where Bree meets the Cullens and seeing them from a different angle.
I agree completely! I was also really impressed with how well SM changes the 'flavor' of her writing to fit the narrator. With Bree, the storytelling was much grittier, and more darkly realistic and scarier than when Bella narrates in the other books of the saga. Also, I loved that Bree kept calling Edward, "the redhead." I was like, what? His hair is bronze, darling. BRONZE.
For the latest news on The Host movie, novel, and sequels, visit...
TheHostFan.com
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I was confused with the red head reference too. It wasnt until Bree said he was holding/had arm around Bella that I realised it was Edward!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Silver Rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by Silver Rose »

I used to think nothing of Bree Tanner before the novella came out. I thought that she was the most minor character in the books and when reading Eclipse, I forgot all about her after she died because I didn't think she was in any way important.

I was so upset when I found out that SM would be writing a short story about her. I thought, "She won't finish Midnight Sun but she's gonna write about a non-important person?" It surprised me that after I actually read the book that I was more sympathetic toward her. I really liked the book and now I feel sad that she had to die.

I agree with funkidiva and I liked when we were able to see the Cullens through her eyes. As well as the Volturi.
Thanks to Eclipsed.by.Love for the sig and avi
Jace
Settled in Forks

Post by Jace »

I got to read the Bree Tanner novella on line last June. Really enjoyed the story as I had just finished Eclipse, the tie in was perfect, it was hard to put the computer down. Neat to see the vampire world including Victoria and the Volturi from another perspective. It was sad when Bree died as I got to like her, the "close your eyes" scene was stunning.
FigureSk8r13
Settled in Forks

Post by FigureSk8r13 »

I liked it. I thought it was a good book. The limb pulling was a little excessive though, lol. I also did not like how it was just one big story. Chapters would have been easier.
~FigureSk8r13 (Amelia)
michelle
Learning to Love Green

Post by michelle »

Like many of you said, I must admit, too, that I didn't particularly like Bree in Eclipse. To tell you the truth I was even against the idea to be saved (as Carlisle and Edward suggested) because I was really afraid of what could happen to Bella if Bree was around. So in a way I was relieved when she was out of the picture.

And then I read the novella. God, my perspective has changed 180 degrees!
You all said how amazing the book is, I will only add that every time I read it, it makes me cry even more than what New Moon does... :cry:

Oh, and something else. I can't understand why some people like the Volturi. To me, they are pure evil, no matter what their reasons are.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Yes, it's hard to read Bree Tanner's book, knowing how it ends. :(