Life and Death — so what do you think about the whole idea?

Yes! We've got a teeny tiny forum for discussing Stephenie's (sort of) new book...

Moderator: December

Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Sequels

Post by Tornado »

Thought I'd come and post here after reading the disappointing news that the only new thing we seem to be getting for the 10th anniversary of Twilight is a gender-bending retelling of the story.

I'm not the least bit interested in reading something like that. While I would like Midnight Sun, I would have also been happy with some nice previously unseen scenes with Bella and Edward. If this is all there is, I will be monumentally disappointed. It seems a waste of time to write something like that. I won't be buying it.

Mod's note: this is a copy of a post originally posted in the Sequels thread, shortly before this thread was started, which is why it appears out of order. (See next post for beginning of thread).
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Life and Death — so what do you think about the whole idea?

Post by December »

This is a thread for people to talk about Life and Death even if they haven't necessarily read it yet.

** NO SPOILERS PLEASE!! **

What do you think about the release of this new book? Does that seem like an intriguing idea to you? Gimmicky? How do you think reversing Edward and Bella's positions would change the story of Twilight? Would it change it in a good way or a bad way or do you think it all depends how its done? What do you think about the idea of an author effectively fanficcing her own work? Were you surprised that this was project Stephenie chose to write on next (or at any rate to release next)? What does it tell us that she decided to revisit TW this way rather than finishing Midnight Sun?

As always, please remember that courtesy to the author and other posters on this site are a must. Questions of gender are a hot-button topic for many people, so please be especially respectful of each other's opinions!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
TwilightFan87
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Life and Death — so what do you think about the whole id

Post by TwilightFan87 »

I'm a mix of emotions. I honestly never expected this to be the bonus content. I thought maybe another interview with Stephenie or some behind the scenes stuff. I didn't dare to hope it'd be the book that should not be named ;)

I think it's a little sad she's trying to cater to her haters, all the people that hated the Saga. I wish she could've been more thoughtful of us, her fans, before she decided to effectively change the Saga in a weird way. I'm not sure if I'll read it or not, I don't want it to tarnish what I love about the series. When I start to think about Edward as Edith, it kinda freaks me out, so I'm just not sure.

Mod's note: this is a copy of a post originally posted in the Sequels thread, which is why it appears out of order. (See next post for beginning of thread).
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

You know that feeling you get when you're watching a random movie or reading a book? That "this reminds me of Twilight" feeling...that is how I'm going to have to read this. IF I read it, that will be the only way.
I listened to a section yesterday and I spent the entire time trying to figure out who was who. :roll: I would lose half the story and give myself a headache if I did that through an entire book. So I figure if I end up reading it, which let's face it I probably will, I'll have to just read it and then go back through and pick it apart for all those annoying little things.

I missed this place, by the way. I've been logging in through my cell phone and that in no way compares to the real web page. ;)
Grayce
December

Post by December »

Weirdly nostalgic, isn't it? (*grin*)

I know what you mean about being different and yet disconcertingly familiar. I've only read a couple of chapters, and frustratingly, it doesn't look like I'll have a spare second to read any more for the next couple of days because I am of course — what is it with my karma??? — frantically packing as usual to cross the Atlantic day after tomorrow! But that was just what I felt. A bit like reading fan fic (and of course that is exactly what this is: a kind of auto-fic on Stephenie's part). It was actually very hard for me to get my head around Beau because a lot of his lines were, well, Bella's. He said them, but I heard her. Probably didn't help that by weird coincidence, I happen to have just reread TW a few days ago (karma again!), so it was very fresh in my mind as Bella's story. I'll be interested to see how that goes as I get further into the book.

Must fly! Great to see you guys back here.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I'm still in the slack jawed, "WHAT???" stage. :swoon:

While I haven't exactly rushed out to buy it, I'm glad at least she hasn't given up on writing altogether. I will say that I was hoping for more of the Host or even a new saga of some kind. It will be interesting to hear what others say about the book.

Mod's note: this is a copy of a post originally posted in the Sequels thread, which is why it appears out of order.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I just can't resist buying books.
So after my initial disappointment (so the author of the book is just giving us her own FanFiction version) I went and bought it today.
Well into chapter three now and liking it so far. Really curious to see where she's taking it.

But definitely agreeing that I would have rather had MS or just new scenes between other main characters.
(Or even The Host 2 (&3) )
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Most people I know who are reading seem to be enjoying it. I still cringe whenever I hear it mentioned, especially by Twilight haters, who are running with this.
December

Post by December »

Well of course they are. it's been a long sad drought for them lately (*grin*).

I am so looking forward to tomorrow evening, when I plan on tipping back my airplane seat, pulling out this doorstop of a book (gah! I'm tempted to do what my mother does with oversized books and chop it in half with a carving knife, because it is basically going to be the whole of my hand luggage allowance!), and finally getting to properly read.

Actually finding this a little spooky, because these are exactly the circumstances in which I first read TW, far too many years ago. Giving myself over, after a frenzied crescendo of packing and closing up, to the trancelike stasis of seven hours immobility in an airplane cabin — and starting to read.... The rest as they say is history.

Only this time as it happens, I'm making the inverse journey. To match this inverse book. Weirdly fitting.

I'm coming to it with fairly low expectations, so I'm hoping it won't be a disappointment. Will report back when on Terra Firma.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

December wrote: Great to see you guys back here.

It almost feels like coming home :wave: ;)