Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by Wingtear »

Variety
I agree with the tips you already received. I think the best way is to set a standard, together with him, for what clean is. And I think you are right about the nagging, I'm 25 and my mom still wrinkle her nose stepping into my apartment, and it makes me go ballistic...
I'm not proud to admit it, but my home is a constant mess, and I live alone (hubby lives here on weekends) so I have no one to blame, but it's my balance. I want things on exactly the place I placed them at work, and I do throw fits if someone has been using my workstation, it's always a mess. The chaos of my home is my sanctuary... But as I said, I'm 25, I can do what I want :lol:
I'm a little scared by the fact that he runs away, so much can happen to you when you're 11. To that I have no idea, I never was the one to run away, and the times I snook out it was only the forest around anyway (deers being the most dangerous animals there)
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

My family always had the traditional turkey dinner for Christmas. About 13 years ago, we decided to do it Italian style, since that is my dad's heritage. We have homemade lasagna, meatballs, Italian sausage, focaccia bread, and THE SAUCE, a recipe that's been in our family for generations.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

Shannon sent me BDB- i got them yesterday! and started book 1 last night-- i am about 100 pages in and really enjoying it-- so i am going to stick my nose back in the book..

by the way-- the swearing is making my sailor mouth look like a saints. seriously. haha awesome books ladies!
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Wow, three pages into a new thread! T-pa did Black Friday for the first time with me this year. He was stunned and awed, but seemed to take it all in stride. We did our best to stimulate the economy. It wasn't until yesterday that the amount of money we spent made him ill and negative. At least it was a delayed reaction and didn't ruin my fun on Friday. Yesterday I finished getting the tree up and most of the decorations. I have a few more boxes to get through. Then we went to dinner at new restaurant with friends last night. The food was really awesome! Too bad it was expensive too. *sigh* We'll eat there again, just not soon...well, this month anyway.

With the movie discussion now open, I don't think we need a QOTD today or probably tomorrow either. I loved Carlise's entrance. It was a rock star entrance. I was grateful that the teens in the audience wanted to hear the dialog as badly as I did so there would be a scream when someone made an apperance and then sudden, abrupt silence. I had to laugh at indvidual shout outs to obscure references. I, of course, made a shout out for Mrs. Cope who did not have red hair and was not named!!! I took it personally that she appeared in the credits at "School Administrator." Humph! My only other complaint was that there wasn't enough smiling in the first half. I know Edward was trying not to kill Bella, but I wanted to see smiles so I believed they were falling in love. Too much brooding. In the books, Bella worked hard to bring out Edward's lighter side. I think Stewart said she even had to do that with RPatz while they were filming. I really appreciated the humor. The books were funny, I don't know why I was surprised by it when it showed up in the movie. I think knowing the books made the funny parts funnier.

Variety~ Totally great meeting you!! You have the nicest smile. :D I feel your pain. We went through this with FS. He did his running away around six years old though and has lived to see seventeen. You've had some great suggestions. The only thing I would add is to suggest some positive reinforcement. My mother has an adage that I try to adhere to which is:
  • Our children would be in less danger
    From the wiles of the stranger
    If one's on kin and kith
    Were much more fun to be with
I would respectfully suggest he's running away from something more than an overwhelming room. It could be the responsibility of growing up, it could be feeling like he's a failure, there's something cooking and I can promise he won't be forthcoming about articulating it. You may have to help him with find the words. Cleaning the room with him might be the way to do it. Boys, more than girls I think, need help breaking things down. Being in the room doesn't mean you have to do the work for him. I've held the garbage bag while he sorted the papers. I've labeled the folders while he sorted out what he saved. I've asked the questions that helped him organize his own thoughts about how he wanted to live in his own space. We talked about the advantages of having a clean room. He got to decide which toys, clothes, gear, etc he was ready to part with. Rarely did he choose the same things I would have if I were cleaning the room for him. Supporting him in the process does not mean taking away his responsibility to do it, especially at this age.

PSD: I just finished the first Sharing Knife book recommended to me by somethingblue. I enjoyed it so much that I was surprised when the book ended. I've already put a hold on the next two books from the library. The hero was a little unlikely in the hunk department, but he was definitely heroic the way Edward is because of the perspective that comes with age. I have someone in my head that I can't find. I'll keep working on that one for another day since I don't think anyone but Blue an I have read that series. So instead I offer you Rio from the Midnight Breed Series. (Yes, we're all waiting on Niko's book right now.) That beautiful face belongs to this beautiful body. Remember when Rio makes his first entrance in a crisp white shirt...
Last edited by nissanmama on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

I love the new name guttermates! Baking Peach Cobbler :twisted: I had to bust out my copy of Wrath and read the peach pages to my hubby. He was floored and actually blushed :oops: Tee Hee!! It must of triggered some kind of interest in him because he is here lurking around the thread. he finally had to see what all the fun was about. I am looking forward to seeing what he decides to posts! PM him people...he's bashful Im_her_Jasper that is his lex name :D

I was very happy with the movie. I totally agree with you, Nima, Carlisle's entrance was spectacular and only second to Edward's entrance *swoon* I love that first cafeteria scene when Edward catches Bella staring, he is so menacing...and hot :). I laughed my butt off when Rosalie asked if Bella was italian and Emmett said "Well her name is 'Bella'." :lol: I could go on and on about the movie, I saw it 3 times and I will probably see it again at some point. Now I can't wait for the DVD! Just the thought of all the extras is making my heart flutter.

Variety I am so sorry to hear about your son's challenging behavior. My heart goes out to you, I can only imagine how worried you are about him. My sons are 8 and 4 and both suffer from autism, so I don't think that anything I can add would be relavant to your plight. I will, however, keep your family in my prayers and hope that you will cross paths with the right people to help you get through this. In a much different way, I have been down in the trenches with my own sons and know how hard it is and how helpless it feels. Don't give up on him and don't doubt yourself.

NimaI love the advice that you gave Variety and the adage that you shared. FS is very luck to have you. I am going to write down that adage for myself as a reminder. Thanks for sharing it!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Welcome to the gutter newbies!
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

nissanmama wrote:With the movie discussion now open, I don't think we need a QOTD today or probably tomorrow either. I loved Carlise's entrance. It was a rock star entrance. I was grateful that the teens in the audience wanted to hear the dialog as badly as I did so there would be a scream when someone made an apperance and then sudden, abrupt silence. I had to laugh at indvidual shout outs to obscure references. I, of course, made a shout out for Mrs. Cope who did not have read hair and was not named!!! I took it personally that she appeared in the credits at "School Administrator." Humph! My only other complaint was that there wasn't enough smiling in the first half. I know Edward was trying not to kill Bella, but I wanted to see smiles so I believed they were falling in love. Too much brooding. In the books, Bella worked hard to bring out Edward's lighter side. I think Stewart said she even had to do that with RPatz while they were filming. I really appreciated the humor. The books were funny, I don't know why I was surprised by it when it showed up in the movie. I think knowing the books made the funny parts funnier.
n'ma, thanks for the PSD. Quite yummy, and I can see Rio in him. Poor tortured soul! (What is it with 'romance' books and tortured male souls? I'm reading Zarek from Dark Hunter right now, and he's reminding me of Zsadist from BDB as well as many of the other heroes we've met in our favourite series.)

I thought of you n'ma in the movie when I saw Mrs. Cope. I thought "Oh no, she doesn't have red hair!" and then "I bet nissanmama won't be happy about this!"

Yeah, movie talk here open!
Stop reading here if you don't want spoilers!
I will be seeing it again this Friday with my coven, so I'm only going based on my one viewing.

I agree with n'ma that it was a relief that there'd be a squeal and then silence so we could hear the dialogue.
I was pleased with the movie. Yes, the books are still better, but they kept relatively true to the essential storyline (did you hear about how MTV's treatment of the script was going to turn Bella into some athlete and they were going to go around solving mysteries? *shudder*)

My character quibbles had to do with Jasper's portrayal (sorry oleander, I know you liked how he was played, but I thought he was portrayed too much as a joke, with a spacey out-of-it look, nothing like the handsome but aloof Civil War general he was with the awesome powers (which would be hard to explain or show on-screen, so I can forgive them for that).

Charlie became a fuller character in the movie, with his routine of eating the same thing in the diner and his loving but awkward actions. I was very happy to feel more for Charlie than I did in the books.

The portrayals were well done - I especially liked how Victoria was played, and her clothing choices after her last feeding (I don't want to totally wreck it for those who haven't seen it). She made villainy look fun!

Alice struck the right note as well - thankfully my "mental Alice" is still alive, living comfortably next to my "movie Alice". I can't say the same for my "mental Edward" who was always a little fuzzy. Robert Pattison played it quite well, and the way he was filmed was quite striking too. (Sadly, I was not a fan of how the "sparkling skin" moment turned out, despite Lucasfilm's involvement. I'll have to see if my coven agrees.)

The additional items to the "meeting the Cullens" section were very cute and well done (the wall hangings, the artwork). I'm sorry we didn't see Carlisle's father's cross and hear more of his background, but stuff had to be cut and maybe they didn't want to make it "too religious".

Interesting that the moment in biology when Bella sits next to Edward is played more for laughs than dramatic tension. I liked the wings effect - a bit "hit me over the head", but I liked it nonetheless.

I had some minor quibbles about the ballet studio scene (I need to save something to talk about later!) but I'll mention it later.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

LadyDi wrote: I'm sorry we didn't see Carlisle's father's cross and hear more of his background, but stuff had to be cut and maybe they didn't want to make it "too religious".
But the cross is there! As they begin to go up the stairs you see it in the background. I do miss the explanation for it though. But as you said, they might wanted to keep it neutral.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
Ambrosia
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Ambrosia »

LadyDi, I'm bummed that you were disappointed with Jasper's portrayal. *sigh* I thought he was one of the best for having such few lines. I loved his mannerisms. In particular, the way he seemed stand-offish when Bella came to meet the family. He was in perfect military stance with his arms in fists at his sides as well. (My husband is a Marine so he always picks out those little things). I loved his Southern accent too! Maybe when you see it again you will like him better.. I hope anyways!

Carlisle was perfect. Everyone in the theater was screaming when he walked out. I think he definitely looked the most believable as a vampire out of the bunch.

Did anyone else think that Anna really nailed Jessica? I think she was perfect for that role. She played out the annoying and very high school Jessica that I had in my mind.

I loved how they portrayed Emmett as well. I like the whole jock vibe he was giving off during the baseball scene. I think that was the best scene of the movie. The music flowed so perfectly to it as well.

EDIT: I picked up my first two BDB books today and read about the first 5 Chapters this afternoon. It's decent so far but I'm not hooked yet.. but it's only about 35ish pages in..
Wrecking Ball Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Emmet loves blondes!
Randomness Regular
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

Lady Di and I have chatted about the movie a bit and most of my opinions shadow hers. I am with her on Jasper - I think he looked scared the entire time. I know he's a little worried being around Bella, but my goodness, he looked completely FREAKED OUT! Plus, they never mention anything about his ability and he didn't seem very calming to me.

I have posted several comments on the "what did you think" thread, so I won't repeat here. But overall I enjoyed the movie for the movie. I LOVED Rob's entrance and I LOVED the kiss (it was SO HOT!). The meadow scene was disappointing. I actually liked the shimmer effects. I loved the Nomads and their extra scenes. I think Charlie rocked. Jessica was missing her curly hair! I didn't care for the way the flashbacks of Edward and Esme's transformations were done - too campy for me, but I am glad they included visuals. Um, overall, I enjoyed and want to see again. I hear it's better the second (and third and fourth!) time!
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

LadyDi, I understand your concerns with Jasper's portrayal and I take no offense...everyone likes different things for different reasons. My take on Jasper was that he was trying hard no to breathe in Bella's scent and that was why he was so stiff in the "meet the Cullens" scene. I remember when Edward was trying not to kill Bella in biology class in the book and he was constantly holding his breath...i just translated that to Jasper.

But it's okay...you're allowed to not like everything! :)

It was funny the first couple of times I went to see the movie when the crowd reacted to Carlisle...each time it was, very much, like a rock star had entered the room. He received more of a reaction than his foster children (excluding Edward, of course).

I know that someone is going to want to kick me for saying this, but i have to get it off my chest. The only part of the movie that drives me nuts and makes me want to rip my ears off is when Edward, while sparkling, says: "This is the skin of a killer." I'm sorry, but unless Liberace has come back from the dead as a serial killer, sparkly skin is not the skin of a killer. It makes me laugh so hard every time i see it.