Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by Amethyst1 »

"It's not personal Carlisle, It's to protect us all" -- Rosalie
"I like it here! There's so little sun, we almost get to be normal." -- Rosalie
But i was no longer worried about Rose. I could see that she would go along with Carlisle's decision, no matter how infuriated she was with me. -- Edward

notice, the "we" in the first two quotes
No, she wanted to kill her when Edward saved Bella from the tyler's van and bella witnessed everything...Bella had that much that could put the Cullens at risk.

Well Rose is selfish. that's her main character trait, right? she's very complex, but also interesting....
edwardislove
Wandering Through Town

Post by edwardislove »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i think, malaz, she means it's rather odd that rosalie is worried about who edward is in love with when she's supposed to be in love with emmett. and is.

so something interesting came up on the edward thread and i thought i'd bring it here.

disclaimer: please PLEASE do not feel that i am being too negative about rosalie's character, or "one sided" in any way. it was just something interesting that i realized, i've put no good/bad judgment on it.

ok so rosalie has killed only for revenge correct? and she wants her humanity back more than anything yes? but when bella endangers their lifestyle in Twilight, she advocates killing her. To me, this implies that Rosalie sees humans as disposable. I find that odd, seeing as how Rosalie wants, more than anything, to be human. Thoughts?
Interesting thought. Hmm.. I think that's an author question. ;)
E♥B

"Does she even like Italian?" (Rosalie)
"Her name's Bella. I'm sure she'll love it." (Emmett)
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

HOFJ(Partial quote): ok so rosalie has killed only for revenge correct? and she wants her humanity back more than anything yes? but when bella endangers their lifestyle in Twilight, she advocates killing her. To me, this implies that Rosalie sees humans as disposable. I find that odd, seeing as how Rosalie wants, more than anything, to be human. Thoughts?

-I'm not sure. I think Rosalie was so desperate to keep her human lifestyle (as we see in Midnight Sun) that she didn't want Bella to screw that up for her. I think the reason she wanted to kill Bella was 1.) As Edward explains, she is jealous that he didn't find her attractive but finds Bella, a simple human, beautiful. Thus, she HATES her. 2.) She as of yet, had no reason to trust Bella and figured she would go and blab about Edward being super strong and fast. So, she though Bella was jeapordizing her human-as-possible life. But, in my opinion, she doesn't view human life as disposable. I would agree with saying she views Bella's life as disposable for the reasons above. But, not all humans. Well, I just don't think disposable is the right word. Maybe she doesn't regard them with any respect? But, wanting to be human so much as she could, I think deep down she couldn't possibly disregard humans so much as 'disposable'.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

probably disregard is a better word than disposable. disregardable?

i think what's most interesting about it is that she finds them disregardable, but wants nothing more than to be human. that, to me, seems contradictory.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
edwardislove
Wandering Through Town

Post by edwardislove »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:probably disregard is a better word than disposable. disregardable?

i think what's most interesting about it is that she finds them disregardable, but wants nothing more than to be human. that, to me, seems contradictory.

Yeah, It does. :? I really never even thought of it that way. but now that you opened that up to me, it really doesnt make sense. :roll:
E♥B

"Does she even like Italian?" (Rosalie)
"Her name's Bella. I'm sure she'll love it." (Emmett)
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

It sounds like this is from Midnight Sun which I haven't read yet, but I'm still going to take a stab at it.

I think Rosalie puts more emphasis on never having tasted human blood than on never killing anyone. I think she's proud that she only killed Royce and his buddies but, given the chance to do it all over, I think she'd still kill them. So in certain situations, such as to avenge herself or defend her way of life, she can justify killing a human...just as humans can also justify killing in self-defense, etc. I don't think it's too much of a stretch for her, thus she can still feel close to human even when she's advocating killing Bella.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Lioness Rampant

Post by Lioness Rampant »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:ok so rosalie has killed only for revenge correct? and she wants her humanity back more than anything yes? but when bella endangers their lifestyle in Twilight, she advocates killing her. To me, this implies that Rosalie sees humans as disposable. I find that odd, seeing as how Rosalie wants, more than anything, to be human. Thoughts?
It is quite contradictory. Initially, I wonder if, simply, jelousy has just put her veiw of humans on a negative scale.

In Midnight Sun, Edward and Emmett acknowlege that Rose would trade anything for humanity- even Emmett...

I think that Rose understands the moral responsiplity that her family takes on- of their diet... i think that this is alligned with her own moral fibers- but when it comes to something that endangers teh family, Rose puts herself before the human... it is a character trait of Rose's that is really fascinating...

Great topic, holdingoutforjacob!
ColormeBSG
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

thank you! what i haven't decided is whether or not it stems from selfishness (not wanting to be uprooted in exchange for a human life??) or more from the same place Esme is coming from - she doesn't WANT to kill people, but her family comes first. i get Esme's opinion, i SHARE Esme's opinion.

sometime though, being self-centered is not the end of the world. i know a lot of people who are very self-centered, but some of them are very good listeners, some of them are some of the best friends i have. they just think that the world revolves around them.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
LoveMeSomeEdward

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I actually really like Rosalie, she doesn't pretend, she's not fake, she's just herself.
cherylveenc
Settled in Forks

Post by cherylveenc »

Rosalie is an interesting character..
how she became a vampire is really pitifying.. lol
i dont blame that she's vain though.. its just Rosalie
and its sad she could not have a happy family with kids in her human life..
i would beat up her stupid fiance and friends!

and i like her in Breaking Dawn best...
where she and Bella were described as 'in a pack' by Jacob!
i dont care she's treating Bella good for Renesmee...
in any way it shows she's kind hearted as well
newborn twilighter