Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by oleander »

I am beyond excited about the results of last night's movie excursion. it was my 4th time going and i went with two people who hadn't read the books. One girl swore she wouldn't see it because i drove her nuts talking about it and reciting the lines during the trailer, and the other girl said she thought Edward was hot and wanted to see what the hype was about...also because it was #2 on Ellen's list of things to be thankful for.

Anyway, they both loved it!!!! The first girl said that she still has no urge to read the books and it was a little schmaltzy for her, but she really enjoyed it. She loved the nomads most. The second girl begged me to borrow my books. She was hooked! She couldn't stop squeeing about it, asking questions, etc.

HA! I am so happy to facilitate another addiction to Twilight.

I still had to cringe, though, during the sparkly scene. Sigh. that's the only part of the movie i can't stand to watch.

OH! And the first friend poked me when Jacob came on and said: OH! I GET IT! TEAM JACOB! That's the guy, right? And then later she said something about loving Charlie and why wasn't there a team for him too? Then, as we were leaving the theatre, she declared that if she had to be on one of the two teams, she would totally be Team Jacob because Edward was a cheeseball. ;)
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Addicted wrote:But I get SO frustrated when people laugh or make noises at parts where you just arent supposed to.
I love Edward,truly I do, and I've read all of the MS manuscript available. I get him. But I did laugh when he was trying not to kill Bella in Biology class. His expression was so abrupt and ill, that while I understood what he was trying to portray, I couldn't decided if he looked like he was going to hurl or was desperately constipated. I personally liked the sparkle. If anything, it was a little too subtle for me, but I thought it was lovely. I may have even heard the cheesy sound effects in my head when i read it.

Oh, on the book lists should also be Breeds by Lora Leigh. Her series is similar to the Psy/Changlings, but with more baking. VampSiren has read some of them and said there's almost too much baking and they have a more coarse feeling to them. I did like the short story that was in The Christmas Cat, but that's the only one I've read by Leigh.

PSD: How bout an obscure reference today. I'm thinking of Eric from House of Night. Yes, I'd like to have him suck my blood...

I'm up now to go and make cinnamon rolls. Yes, the magic cinnamon rolls. FS meets with two college coaches today who are making the trip specifically to meet with him. Unfortunately today is also the day he has his one month post surgical appointment, but it's not until after he meets with the coaches. He can't walk into those meetings with a giant pillow under his arm. We tried desperately to get him into the doctor Monday or Tuesday, but they couldn't work him in. The school trainer came to our rescue by getting through to doctor directly. He said he would release FS to a regular sling without seeing him to meet with the coaches, provided I brought him cinnamon rolls! He has delt with a lot of coaches and also gave FS the words to use when and if his obvious injury came up...that cost me sticky buns. So yeah, I'm on my way to the kitchen now...
Last edited by nissanmama on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
stupid_lamb85
Wandering Through Town

Post by stupid_lamb85 »

NIMA: mmmm eric from house of night...he is in my top ten vamps for sure!!!

My thoughts on twilight movie...my favourtie things from the book to the movie were the van scene, the baseball scene (I love alices ballet thing before pitching), Port Angeles, the cafeteria, The fight with charlie, the classroom scene. My favourite changes from the book to the movie were the extra scenes with charlie it helped me connect to his character more and really see the love he has for his daughter, The cullens making food for bella, Jacob coming at the beginning and The field trip. Things I was a little disappointed in was the meadow scene (I really wanted the big meadow with flowers in the woods not the little forest behind the school), No talk of Japsers power, no blood typing class and The change about Lapush (no campfires..surfing??). I wish we had seen mroe of the relationship between Alice and Bella and Jasper and Bella in the hotel. I also missed the irratable grizzly line and the eating bella can we join line. But I LOVED the movie and went 2x.

My Twiband (my new name for him I shall call him TH- twilight husband because TB is a disease lol- for short) lol is now on book 3 he is making me a twidow now I know how he felt the first time I read the books. He spent an hour and a half in the bath reading last night then got to the couch and read the entire time I decorated mt twilight christmas tree..more about that in a second. my poor son was yelling dad book with a book in his hand to get him to read. I had to nudge him and be like hey your kid wants your attention lol.

My twilight christmas tree...I made TH drive to the store and buy all new decor for my tree last year it was silver and blue this year its TWILIGHT I have gold and red sparkly apples, icicles (to rep the vamps), Red ribbon, Baseballs, A bear with a baseball hat (to rep emmett), chess pieces. I am going to look for a swan, lion, lamb, something to rep forks, Lapush and each of the other vamps. I will post pics when I am done :) I tried to find a topaz star for the top of my tree...but I ended up with a gold snowflake
My twilight diet blog http://nyxd.blogspot.com
Spooncha
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Spooncha »

Nima! Those look gooooooood. Good luck with the meeting! Go FS!!

Our tree is almost done. I've been using the decorating as a bribe to get the kids to pleasantly do their homework. We also have two little foot-tall elves that come stay with us for the month of December. They "move" around the house a lot, and the kids have a good time trying to find them. Last year, my daughter made them snacks, and BDE and I had to sneak the food away a little at the time, so it looked like they were eating when no one was looking. They don't move if anyone's looking, of course, and they go back with Santa on Christmas Eve.

I've read some of Lora Leigh's Breeds stories: three short stories from collections and the first book. There are a bunch of them. They're rougher, but good. There's a lot more baking, the language and baking scenes are substantially more explicit, but there's still an actual plot. The characters are nicely developed, too, I think. The women are strong, which I like. The alpha males try to dominate these women, be in charge and all, and the women generally spend a good bit of time "retraining" them, which can be funny. Not for the faint of heart, but if you like to court the edge...
"Don't make us bite you in hard-to-reach places!"
-The Tick

http://www.myspace.com/ichamama
Ambrosia
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Ambrosia »

nissanmama wrote: I love Edward,truly I do, and I've read all of the MS manuscript available. I get him. But I did laugh when he was trying not to kill Bella in Biology class. His expression was so abrupt and ill, that while I understood what he was trying to portray, I couldn't decided if he looked like he was going to hurl or was desperately constipated. I personally liked the sparkle. If anything, it was a little too subtle for me, but I thought it was lovely. I may have even heard the cheesy sound effects in my head when i read it.
I really understand what you're getting at here. I was really on the fence about that scene for the first several times I've seen the movie. It seems overdone, a bit, I suppose. But, this last time I saw the movie (Time 5 :shock: ) It seemed better for whatever reason. I re-read Midnight Sun so I could keep that in the back of my head while watching that part (and a few others). I like how he has the fists clenched so tightly, and his eyes are perfect. The only thing I think could have better conveyed how much his throat was burning is what if he hand his hand over his throat instead of his mouth? We would still have his tortured expression, but maybe it would make more sense. I felt like the hand over the mouth made it look like he was going to throw up, even though I understand it was to keep from breathing. All in all, I think he does express how painful it is to be there.

I was pleasantly impressed with Rob's performance. I didn't think he had much of a chance of living up to all the hype that was generated around him, but he managed to. I saw an interview of him right before I went to the movie opening night, and he was worried about the same thing. He kept saying he was so worried because everyone was making a huge deal out of it and what if they didn't like him.. he would get his head ripped off.

On other threads people have also commented a lot on Rob's accent slipping through. I loved his American accent. I know it wasn't your stereotypical accent, but he captured the "velvet" voice Edward has had in my head all along. I did notice the British slip a bit when he is jumping around Bella's car and then says "so you're worried not about being in a house full of vampires, but because you think they won't approve of you". (Or something close to that) I liked it though.

Spoon, I'm so glad I have someone who thinks Jackson did a good Jasper here with me. I know I'm mostly alone on that one, but I still think as far as the acting for minor characters went that he was one of my favorites. I know I'm partial because I fell in love with Jasper long, long ago, but I still think the acting perfectly suited him. Next time I see it, I will keep his criticisms in mind, however, and see if I can understand at least where everyone else is coming from.

I'll also have to watch for the white vampire make-up not being even. I never picked up on that, I suppose I must have been much to mesmerized by all the Cullen men's overt sexiness!
Wrecking Ball Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Emmet loves blondes!
Randomness Regular
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Addicted wrote:But I get SO frustrated when people laugh or make noises at parts where you just arent supposed to. Like when Edward is sucking the venom out and he almost doesnt stop. Some people laugh because his face looks so awkward, but its like- "No, be quiet. You have to realize how much turmoil he is going through right there."
Addicted, my name is Sarah, too!! Cool! This is my favorite scene of the movie, and the one I was looking most forward to seeing. I'm glad they did it justice. You actually SEE what it's like for Edward. I've posted this before, but this is essential to understanding Edward...he SAYS how hard it is to resist her blood, and that he can desensitize himself by being close to her. To SEE what her blood does to him, though, is totally different.
stupid_lamb85 wrote: My twilight christmas tree...I made TH drive to the store and buy all new decor for my tree last year it was silver and blue this year its TWILIGHT I have gold and red sparkly apples, icicles (to rep the vamps), Red ribbon, Baseballs, A bear with a baseball hat (to rep emmett), chess pieces. I am going to look for a swan, lion, lamb, something to rep forks, Lapush and each of the other vamps. I will post pics when I am done :) I tried to find a topaz star for the top of my tree...but I ended up with a gold snowflake
Ok, now this is such a cooooooool idea!!!! Props to you! You could also make mini-books as ornaments; the covers are very simple, so you wouldn't need to be a super-artist to draw them. I have the same tree every year; maybe one year I'll do a theme.

NIMA! Now, I haven't read the BDB series yet, and while I like ogling at the guys you post for that series, I can't put them with a character. YUMMY- however, HON I HAVE read, so I can appreciate the guy you posted for Eric... yes, I'd let him suck my blood while he "took" something else from me (if I still had that :twisted: ). Those cinnamon rolls would taste so wonderful with my coffee right now.

Aw, Oleander! You've turned another one!! Yay for you! My sister has had my mom's copy of Twilight for over a month, and she's only read the first 3 chapters. She says she likes it, but just "doesn't have the time" to read. She went with me to see the movie; afterwards, she said it made her want to read ALL the books...but has she even started Tw?? NO! She was asking questions the other day about it, and I gave her short answers; then I just HAD to get into Edward's "soul issue" because she asked why he didn't bite her at the end of the movie when clearly Bella wanted it. She was impressed that the story was MORE than a gooey love-fest between B&E, and said they should have put more of Edward's side into the movie. I said, then you need to read the books to understand it all. We're going to see the movie again tonight, and I'm hoping that this will "turn" her.
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

nissanmama wrote: I love Edward,truly I do, and I've read all of the MS manuscript available. I get him. But I did laugh when he was trying not to kill Bella in Biology class. His expression was so abrupt and ill, that while I understood what he was trying to portray, I couldn't decided if he looked like he was going to hurl or was desperately constipated.

I felt the exact same way, N'mama. The acting was so overdone and I wasn't sure which reaction (constipation or hurling) Rob was going for. It seemed to be both at the same time. I felt the same way at the ballet scene, where Bella seems like on the verge of...how should I say this...coming.. instead of pain. :oops:

The other thing I noticed was that there were certain lines from the book that were included in the movie didn't make any sense. For example, the famous Mike Newton line where he tells Bella that Edward looks at her like she's something to eat. There were hardly any scenes where the three of them got together. It just kinda seemed off.

There was another scene in the movie where the whole theater that I went to had the "eww" reaction: there was an extreme close-up of Renee at the hospital scene where Bella opens her eyes. I didn't expect to get to see all of the actress' freckles and all.
nissanmama wrote:Oh, on the book lists should also be Breeds by Lora Leigh. Her series is similar to the Psy/Changlings, but with more baking. VampSiren has read some of them and said there's almost too much baking and they have a more coarse feeling to them.

Is there such thing a too much baking as a bad thing? I guess I'll hold off until I hear more reactions from the DGGs (Dirty Gutter Gals). I need to read the House of Night series too. Grr...there's just not enough time. I'll be sure to hit the books when I'm done with work. 12 days and counting! :D
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Ambrosia wrote:Spoon, I'm so glad I have someone who thinks Jackson did a good Jasper here with me. I know I'm mostly alone on that one, but I still think as far as the acting for minor characters went that he was one of my favorites. I know I'm partial because I fell in love with Jasper long, long ago, but I still think the acting perfectly suited him. Next time I see it, I will keep his criticisms in mind, however, and see if I can understand at least where everyone else is coming from.
I thought that Jackson did a fantastic job. My newbie friends last night liked him too and caught on pretty quickly that he was struggling because he was still so new to the 'vegeterian' thing. I can't wait to see more Jackson.

It's a whole new experience seeing with people who have no idea, no expectations...they picked up on a lot of things that i didn't, and they loved the sparkle (which i didn't).
stupid_lamb85
Wandering Through Town

Post by stupid_lamb85 »

ok...I am new at this whole GG thing but I assume baking doesn't mean literally putting a cake in the oven...lol.

CULLENGIRL: As for renees close up that was BAD camera work I cringed for her could you imagine having to watch that much of a close up on your face :S eww

The one spot everyone laughed at that upset me (both times I went) was carlisle at the hospital...whats so wrong with carisle I think he looked amazing...I guess they expected brad pitt...hmmm brad pit as carlisle might have been nice lol.

BLUESTARLIGHT: thanks I love it I can't wait until its done :) Good idea for the mini books. I did my first painting I have ever done in my life and one was an apple, ribbon, flower and chess piece thoe other was a crystal ball with black eyes (reping alices visions of a hungry vamp) they were terrible but I was proud

AMBROSIA: I liked Jackson as Jasper my only problem was they never showed the human (for lack of better term lol) side of jasper like him telling bella she was worth it, or comforting her in the hotel. They didn't even speak of his powers.

SPOON: WAY to cute about the elves. I may have to steal that idea for next year for my son

OLEANDER: I got my little sister wanting to read them she came to the movie with me as well as my mom but I won't lend them my books lol. my mom phone me to ask to borrow them last night this was the convo

mom: can I borrow those twilight books you keep talking about
me: I can't...it makes me..anxious...to be away from them (TH laughts in background)
Mom: don't be ridiculous we will take care of them
me: But I will be distracted all week worrying about them (TH laughs again)
Mom: what is so great about them anyways
me: everything about them draws you in the characters, the pages even the cover (th laughing really hard now)
MOM: your quoting them aren't you
both me and TH hysterical
My twilight diet blog http://nyxd.blogspot.com
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

stupid_lamb85 wrote:mom: can I borrow those twilight books you keep talking about
me: I can't...it makes me..anxious...to be away from them (TH laughts in background)
I totally get this. I actually have two sets now. One paperback set specifically for lending and my hardbacks are all signed except BD. I took MG to meet SM last year when she came to Cincinnati on her EC tour. So worth standing in line for hours and hours! My mother has my paperback TW has STILL hasn't read it, even after the STLA's gave her major grief.

Baking is the euphamism you think it is. CG and LadyDi maintain an archive of the gutter if anyone is interested in getting the background on things like Bob, Noonie (who is doing very well by the way) and baking in all it's glory. Several anachronims are also defined on there like HWS which was actually coined in the early days of the Hash if I remember correctly by one of the original gutterites. I'm thinking Blue, the Gutter Godmother? Teak? Can't remember now. jenni_elyse, do you remember?

Four dozen rolls are on their second rising. I figured I'd better make some for the trainer and my kids as well. Gotta shower now...still haven't started the book review I have to do tonight!! ACK! :shock:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry