Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by una »

Nima, good luck to FS, I'm sure he'll impress the socks off those coaches! And you are killing me with the rolls...if I could, I'd drive over to you house and steal me one. Okay, maybe two. :D Oh and the psd of Eric is FANTASTIC!! Thank you! I agree, he can sip at my vein anytime!

Spoon, I LOVE the elves in your house. If I get to be honored with kids, I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea?!?

I liked Jasper's performance. The only thing I didn't like is that his abilities weren't mentioned and he didn't get enough camera time.

I'm brave, I loan out my original books, but I only loan them to people I absolutely trust and who I know treasure books as they should be. Which means I only really loan them out to my book buddy and my mom but then I met my SuperTwin and how could I not trust her? Oh, and there are a couple others, but seriously, I think there is only five or six. Yes, I'm very generous...except when it comes to my beloved precious books. (My..preeeccccioussss) :twisted:

Stupid_Lamb, the Twilight tree sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see a picture of it! And I loved your terms, Twiband and Twidow...FABULOUS! I know my hubby felt like a Twidow! :lol:

I have also read many short stories from the Breed series. I have them on my list to read. When I created that list, I only listed books from series that I have actually read (but I added DH since so many of you have recommended it and I'm going to start it soon).

There are a couple other series that I really enjoyed the couple (or more) of short stories I've read from them. (Have I mentioned that I love to read short story anthologies???) I have them on my library list. I'll read them and let you know what I think. They are the Children of the Sea by Virginia Kantra (about selkies), Midnight series by Emma Holly, Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine, The Guardians series by Meljean Brook and Warriors of Poseidon series by Alyssa Day. There are two others but since I've only read one short story from them, I'll wait to name them...just in case. I would hate to give a bad recommendation.
Last edited by una on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

stupid_lamb85 wrote: The one spot everyone laughed at that upset me (both times I went) was carlisle at the hospital...whats so wrong with carisle I think he looked amazing...I guess they expected brad pitt...hmmm brad pit as carlisle might have been nice lol.
I'll be honest and say that I laughed too. I dunno. I just think that Peter made up as Carlisle looks like a ferret. He looks a lot better as a brunette.
mom: can I borrow those twilight books you keep talking about
me: I can't...it makes me..anxious...to be away from them (TH laughts in background)
Trust me, I'm the same way. My sister was over for Thanksgiving Break and decided out of her own will to read the saga. She saw interviews and commercials about the movie and decided to give it a go. I was nervous and still am with her reading the saga. She's an avid reader but very critical. She even said that the writing of TW isn't great. I told her that it was SM's first book she's ever written. She read TW in pretty much one day. She had trouble sleeping at night. LOL, she said she kept seeing shadows. I told her that I slept peacefully with the saga, but I didn't sleep at all when I read Anne Rice.

Needless to say, I practically followed my sister around while she read. I made sure she put the book down when she ate and didn't bend the book too much. I reminded her over and over again that it was signed. So yeah, I totally get that feeling. :lol:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

For those that love to read, as I check in with my favorite author's blogs for the day, I discovered that eHarlequin is having an ebook sale today. All their ebooks are half price today. Just thought I would share the love. I am not a ebook person, but I know some of you are. I hope you enjoy.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Gutter program! :twisted:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

So going on I think Nissanmama we have seen the movie 4 times now and we plan on seeing it again this weekend. The first viewing I saw of the movie I actually hated it. I don't know; I just had different views of almost all of the characters. Then my second viewing I like it my third, loved it and fourth I was as excited as the teenagers around me...so sad.

I took the time the last week and a half to re-read the entire series I have read most of the books more then once with one exception...New Moon I never wanted to relive that. I made it though I did all of the books and finished up with Breaking Dawn again today. I have to say there was far more action then I remembered in New Moon and it could be a very good movie if done right.

Now for a question that some people in the news touched on. Do you really think after seeing Twilight that they can make Breaking Dawn? After reading it again and trying to picture Kristin Stewart and Rob delivering the lines I am going to have to say...NO. I know we are all adults and they could pull it off with a rated R but they won't do that they will want it to be PG-13 at the worst and I just don't think they will go with all of the adult themes.

Teenage wedding, Teenage Pregnancy, Monster Birth, and more. These are mature themes and I think parents are not going to want to allow their kids to SEE a movie with these related topics. Any feed back?

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
AtomicStar
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by AtomicStar »

Hi y'all...I was actually posting a very nice entry last night and my computer ate it. Stupid hungry computer!

I've seen the movie 3 times now and I've loved it each time. The first time I saw it, I missed certain lines and didn't catch certain things because (no offense to anyone out there) there were just SO many squealing young girls. The second and third showing were definitely more enjoyable.

I'll admit that when I first saw the previews and magazine articles about the movie, I was one of those thinking, "Hmmm....Alice's hair doesn't look like that in the book...etc. After seeing the movie though, I felt like each of the actors represented their characters very well, despite the lack of character development in some instances. I thought Rob Pattinson did a great job bringing Edward to life (or..you know, bringing him to not quite alive,lol) and Kellan Lutz amused me a great deal with his portrayal of Emmett. The scene in the kitchen where he says, "Her name is Bella..." wouldn't have surprised me if there was a Duh! tacked on the end for good measure. I also thought he was funny when he waved with the huge butcher knife in his hand.

Having said that, my main objection was the rush to have Bella and Edward in a relationship. While it was intense, there didn't seem to be the ache of each wanting to be with the other and knowing that it was going to be a very difficult relationship (to say the least) if they could even have one! I didn't particularly like the way the meadow scene played out in the movie. It seemed almost angry,as if Edward was saying, 'Okay...FINE! Look at me! Look at what I am!" It didn't seem quite as tender and sweet as it did in the book. You didn't get the impression that he was revealing himself to Bella because he was "wretchedly in love with her". (as he said in Midnight Sun)

Having said that, I do think that they did an exceptional job keeping it very close to the book. As so many others have said...it would be impossible to fit 500+ pages of book into a 2 hour movie. Perhaps the writers/ directors/producers will take into account what we loyal readers would like to see more of for the forthcoming movies?

Happy Wednesday!
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

Misfit wrote:Now for a question that some people in the news touched on. Do you really think after seeing Twilight that they can make Breaking Dawn? After reading it again and trying to picture Kristin Stewart and Rob delivering the lines I am going to have to say...NO. I know we are all adults and they could pull it off with a rated R but they won't do that they will want it to be PG-13 at the worst and I just don't think they will go with all of the adult themes.

Teenage wedding, Teenage Pregnancy, Monster Birth, and more. These are mature themes and I think parents are not going to want to allow their kids to SEE a movie with these related topics. Any feed back?

Misfit.
I agree with you 100% there is no way that they can do Breaking Dawn without it being rated R. To "mess with it" to make it fall into the PG-13 rating would be an injustice. If Breaking Dawn is to be made, they are going to have to write it with the expectation that it will get an R rating. Can you imagine what it would be like without the birth sence. That is the one sence they have to do just like the book describes. That is a VERY important moment in the book and with all the blood and Edward having to use his teeth to get Nessie out. They can't gloss that over.
I think the issue of teenage pregnancy its that big of a deal to some parents (it is to me)just look at the movie Juno. I do think that parents can appreciate the fact that Edward and Bella did get married before they start baking.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

If i said i have a problem with teen pregnancy i would be a hypocrite. I got pregnant with my first born when i was 18 and Unmarried. What i do have a problem with is the way some teens handle it- there is such a horrible Stereo-type out there that all teen mothers are horrible, that is not the case and this is something I've had to deal with for a long time. People can do Math- even Idiots- I am 24 with a five year old- who looks 7, and I've been mistaken for the Sister, or the Aunt--- even the Nanny. I think that the Twilight saga- goes a little deeper than Teen Marriage, Teen pregnancy- while they are teenagers, Bella is mature for her age- and Love can happen to you at any given time. I am Married to the father of my children.. strange twist of fate because most teenagers don't marry the father of there child. They did wait until they were Married-- and i think that is a good lesson for young girls to learn- if i had read twilight when i was 13-14 I probably wouldn't have done what i did at 15! i may have considered holding out for my Edward!

with that being said.

I think that making Breaking Dawn is going to be Hard- i think they could pull off the PG-13. I say that because The Grudge is PG-13 and its pretty intense(at least i think so it scared the crap out of me) I think that the Lack of blood will probably set some people off- but really thats all it takes for it to be R.. Blood, Guts and Sex.
and we know SM won't allow them to show Bella and Edward baking.
and Camera Angles and hide the fact that Edward is chewing up Bella's Belly. I think they could pull it off-- and it still be good. At least i hope- because it looks like the rest of the movies are all but i DONE DEAL- given the fact that they announced a sequel not even 24 hours after the release of twilight. We can only hope that CH doesn't MESS IT UP!

Hi Kym! *hugs*
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

That is a good response but you are the exception not the rule for most parents don't want to deal with this type of subject matter. I don't mind it I have two kids and will be talking about this stuff earlier then most parents. One other point to note is that Summit never optioned the rights to Breaking Dawn only New Moon and Eclipse. I hope it gets made into a movie and I hope it gets an R rating and I hope they do show the blood because SM is closer to a horror author then she realizes.

Best comments thanks.
Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
Spooncha
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Spooncha »

Sure, Una! The elves are a wide-open market! Enjoy!

I think it can be done without completely sacrificing the material. There will have to be some cuts, but we've already had to rely on what we know of the books for the film. As faithful readers, it would have to be our responsibility to fill in the gaps for ourselves. That's how it went for the first movie. It might just be a continuing trend. I also think that the subject matter is fine for the intended audience. The kids can handle it. They're hearing worse in school--they are...really. But it can be done, sure.
"Don't make us bite you in hard-to-reach places!"
-The Tick

http://www.myspace.com/ichamama
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

To touch a little on what Misfit said about NM being done right, considering that Twilight has already grossed $155 million I think that NM will be a huge production.

As far as BD goes I think that they can make it a PG-13 film and still have all the topics covered. The last 2 HP movies were both PG-13 and they violence and death in them and each subsequent movie has been darker than the previous. I can't think of a movie that deals with all the topics off hand to compare it too but, I think it can be done.

I watched a movie last night with KStew called In The Land Of Woman. I think she is a pretty arrogant 18 year old but she actually was pretty damn good in that movie. I actually liked her performance!