Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

ElectricBadger
Settled in Forks

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys - Baking Peach Cobbler

Post by ElectricBadger »

'Ello all!

To butt in - I think BD is very doable as PG 13. There's not much in the book that's beyond that - the sex is easily summed up with a cut scene from kisses to feathers, and the birth would have to be carefully done, but could be alluded to (screams, dialogue, reactions of other characters) rather than shown explicitly.

That said, I certainly think it would be a much BETTER movie as R. The birth was horrible, but also wonderful for Bella, and it's one of the uncommon cases that the sex scene actually contributes to the plot (most are simply awkward pauses in the action) and the gore of the birth is important to define Bella (what she endures for her child), Edward (what finally makes him vamp her), and Renesmee (highlighting the tension of monster v. child that adds a powerful element to the story and makes the struggle over saving the baby so much more complex).

I think the issue I see is mostly technical: how to portray Bella's burning and new experiences: her thirst (how to show the struggle not to devour Charlie?), her mind (the distraction, the new facets and meandering thoughts in moments of time) and her burning (only so much to do with a body lying still on a table).
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I think it will also be a factor of how well the movies continue to do. Twilight has done very well (better than maybe they expected) which is why they are starting right away with New Moon. Hopefully they will have a bigger budget than Twilight (especially since NM has more demands for special effects) so they can do those elements justice. But I think they will still wait to do Ec until they see how New Moon does in the theatres. If the fans love it the same or more than Twilight, then I'm sure they'll press on ahead. I think the fate of BD being put on the big screen is VERY dependent on how NW and Ec do. I'm sure there will be no talks about BD movie rights until after NM hits the theatres. And if all goes well and Ec is as well received as the previous or better, then they'll do BD. But even as SM has stated, she is not sure that BD can be it's own movie. It just might be broken into two movies just as they are planning to do with the last book of HP.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Do you really think after seeing Twilight that they can make Breaking Dawn?

I think making BD regardless of the current movie will be hard to make. There's not much action in BD for the first half until we get Jake's book. This is the same reason why I'm worried about NM because for 3/4 of the book is focused on Jake and Bella's relationship.

On the other hand, however, I don't think it will be that hard to make BD into a movie. For the baking scene, they could do the "phase out" scene and then have Bella feel like she's pregnant with Nessie. As for the pregnancy scene, I dunno. I keep thinking of that scene in Alien whenever I think of Bella's labor. LOL, I can't help it. It'll be interesting to see, especially when they make HP 7 because both movies and books are dark.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Ambrosia
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Ambrosia »

I think Breaking Dawn could be a bit spiced up with an R rating, but I'm sure they could do it PG13 and still have it contain nearly everything in the book. I think that PG13 covers more than it perhaps should at times. There are a lot of movies with blood and sex and teen pregnancy that are not rated R. (I.E. Juno-which shows a sex scene, Prom Night-blood and guts, The Ring, etc.) Breaking Dawn isn't overboard with blood and guts, there is really only one gory scene. I think it could definitely slide through.

As long as they aren't showing nudity (i.e. the sex scene) and dropping F bombs they should be fine. The book even manages to write the sex scene in a very PGish way. Even a PG13 movie is allowed 3 F-words before it has to be rated R, I believe. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Vampmadness, I loved In the Land of Women. Have you seen Into the Wild? That one was pretty great too.

Oleander, StupidLamb.. I completely agree that Jasper's ability should have been explained in the movie. It would have taken all of 5 seconds of extra dialogue to add it as he was explaining Alice's ability. I wish they would have given Jackson more lines too. I loved what we did get of him, but his character was very under developed, although that's no fault of the actor.
Wrecking Ball Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Emmet loves blondes!
Randomness Regular
Im_her_jasper
Settled in Forks

Post by Im_her_jasper »

Hey everyone! Inspired told you I'd be lurking on this thread so I figured I wouldn't disappoint (you know, being one of the few males on the thread). I've only read Twilight once and went to see the movie with Inspired (it was her 2nd showing). There is one thing that I didn't understand (and I'm sure I'm about to get schooled). When Bella shows up to Biology and sits next to Eduardo, he looks like he is about to puke. I don't know about y'all, but if I sat next to something that appetizing and insanely aromatic, the "puke face" wouldn't be my facial expression. Thoughts? Maybe he was overacting. Was this brought up on a past thread? Sorry if it was. OK, I'm going back to work now.....
Last edited by Im_her_jasper on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

I really like a lot of the responses everyone is putting in some great insight. One thing that scares me is that with Summit not optioning BD now that SM may option it to a larger production house (say Warner Brothers). You might think this unlikely but if she really wants it made and they throw enough money at her possibly with a tied deal to purchase the options to The Host she might take it. Then because she doesn't have any executive rights to these scripts (remember they are only getting her involved out of respect) they may change the end of Eclipse to cover Bella turning into a Vampire to screw the other company who purchases BD.

Really my opinion is this weather they make it or not they should option BD now so that they don't have to worry about it later.

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
twilightmom
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twilightmom »

vampmadness wrote:As far as BD goes I think that they can make it a PG-13 film and still have all the topics covered. The last 2 HP movies were both PG-13 and they violence and death in them and each subsequent movie has been darker than the previous.
I was thinking the same thing! I do think that they can make BD under the PG -13 heading. BD is a YA book and for better or worse these topics (teen pregancy, marriage, etc) are all pg-13 material. It will be hard to make it like the book, where the reader understands that Bella is much more mature than an average 18 year old, and Edward is really 100 years old! It will be tough to do this with tenderness, but I think it is doable.

I think the blood and gore can be kept to a minimum. For the sake of the movie, Bella *could* have a c-section - I don't think the biting her open is critical for the movie version.
ElectricBadger wrote:I think the issue I see is mostly technical: how to portray Bella's burning and new experiences: her thirst (how to show the struggle not to devour Charlie?), her mind (the distraction, the new facets and meandering thoughts in moments of time) and her burning (only so much to do with a body lying still on a table).
These are EXCELLENT points. I think there are other issues with making the movie - how to portray Renesmee? Will the CG her? I mean, you have a baby that can do things well beyond her years. How do you show this in a meanful way? How do you show that she can communicate through pictures in her mind? And all of the cast of new vampires and their special talents? How do you show Bella's "shield?" I think these type of issues will provide the bigger challenge.

ETA: boy there were 4 posts while I was composing mine. MISFIT - good points about not optioning BD. I don't know enough about the business, but it seems like with the success of TW, Summit should option BD now. I think that it will just spirial higher and higher with each movie. (unless they totally screw up NM). I also don't think that they will make Bella a vamp in EC (however, I did hear the reports of "SuperBella" for TW!) I think that TW has shown them that the fans of SM and the books want it to be true in spirit to the story. I think there would be huge backlash if they made such a huge plot change.
Banner created by the incredibly talented Nena! THANK YOU, MY FRIEND!
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

Im_her_jasper,

I think you are right about Eduardo. RP did not pull that one off successfully. Maybe his puke face is his I am in love with you and can't live with out you face!! :lol:
Last edited by vampman on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

I think the shield can be done fairly simple I have some ideas in my head that would easily work. The burning on the table I think you can do that one too but the blood the volume of blood that might be hard. Additionally I think you are right that it will be hard to show Bella's mature nature as well as Edward's 100 years of experience.

As a side note Kristin Stewart just got picked up to be Joan Jett in the bio pic "The Runaways".

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I don't think that money would be a determining factor in whether SM options the BD movie rights to a bigger Company. I think she'd be more concerned with getting the story right, as with what happened with Twilight. If it were me, and another company promised a bigger budget to get the CG elements of the wolves, Nessie, the mental fight at the end as real as can be, then heck yes, I'd take it!!

Yeah, a PG-13 rating for BD- hmmm. PG-13 is given broad limits as to content- so many seconds of nudity, 1 F-bomb, so much gore. I think BD will fit into that rating. Besides, there are plenty of movies out there that work up to a love scene and never "go there," so that would be nothing new here. The birth is really the only part that I think they may have to tamper with, from Bella spewing blood, to the C-section, to Edward biting the sac- lots of blood.

Another point... Bella is almost 19 when she gives birth to Nessie. Plenty of girls out there have done it younger than Bella. Also, Bella and Edward get married AFTER they've graduated highschool. Again, people get married that young all the time. If parents are so worried about their children seeing things from BD that the parents themselves are not comfortable with, then my advice is this- read the book, have your child read the book, then discuss the book... before going to see the movie.