Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

olpatlanta
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In the inappropriate Robert Pattinson comments support group meeting.

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by olpatlanta »

cullengirl- I love the Ramona series. My brother went through my copy of Ramona the Pest and crossed out Romona and replaced it with my name. I cried for days. I still have the book. I also loved the Babysitters club. I so was happy to find real characters. I was a child of divorce and was so grateful to find literary characters I could relate to.
Alice's Party Planning Committee:World Class Chef
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Oh my gosh...the Babysitter's Club! I hadn't thought about that series in years!! I loved them! :D
How funny...I can't believe they just slipped my mind like that

Thank you Naureen!!
olpatlanta
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by olpatlanta »

I stopped by the DH thread this afternoon.
OH NO!!! :o I got spoiled just a little bit.
I can't go back in there until I catch up. Which book is Sin's?
So I know when I safe to go back.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Olpatlanta - the Dark-Hunters thread is new and the majority of the group is trying to move slowly through the book discussions. We are currently discussing Sin's book (Devil May Cry is the name of the book) for this week. If you look on the first page of this thread there is a reading guide to help you. Mind you, do not skip the Dream-Hunter books - they are important to the series. I'm sorry you were spoiled, but hopefully this well help you out now.

QOTD: Okay, I'll answer my question. My love of reading started because my dad, every evening would read to me before bed. It was a special time because I spent all day with my mom and my only time with my dad was when he got home from work and after dinner (since we usually ate right when he got home), and on the weekends when he wasn't working. He was a borderline work-aholic for a while so he was always home late so I'd sit on his lap to watch a bit of television with the family after dinner and then he'd tuck me in and read to me. The only night routine that would get skipped is the television, I'd stay up until he was home and would always pick a story to read instead of watching television. When we went on vacation, my parents LOVE to read and we'd sit around and read for a bit (my dad reading to me before I got old enough to read well enough on my own) when we weren't fishing or hiking or what not. My favorite books as a kid were the Sweet Pickles, Babysitter's Club, Choose your Own Adventure and some national geographic for kids. I was very active in the weekly reader and I recall but can't remember the name but it was a book ordering thing you could do once a month. You had your choice of different types of books, stickers, etc. Did any of you guys do this?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Olpatlanta - My siblings teased me that I was named after Ramona because I was such a pest. It would make me a little angry, but then I took that as a badge of honor since I loved her! :lol:

Fan- When I use to read the Babysitters Club, I use to have a crush on the blonde guy. God, what is his name? Anyway, I would go to the library and check out 5 of those huge summer Babysitters club that were like 300 pgs. :lol:
Una wrote: My favorite books as a kid were the Sweet Pickles, Babysitter's Club, Choose your Own Adventure and some national geographic for kids. I was very active in the weekly reader and I recall but can't remember the name but it was a book ordering thing you could do once a month. You had your choice of different types of books, stickers, etc. Did any of you guys do this?
I hated the Choose your Own Adventure books because I always chose the ending where the people died! I swear I wasn't having any morbid thoughts while I read them. Yeah, I remember a Scholastic book fair where we could order books, stickers, etc once a month. When I was in Chicago, there was a RIF (Reading is Fundamental) month, where we got to choose one book to keep for free. I really miss those days! :(
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Mind if I answer the QOTD? :)

So while I can't pinpoint exactly what got me started, I can tell you that in grade school I used and abused my library card. I started with the Hardy Boys. In fact, the library would only allow us to get two or three books at a time (for five days, I think)- but I finished them so quickly that the librarian would let me get away with borrowing five books at a time. :lol:

Then I started reading reference books in my uncle's library- encyclopedias of different kinds.

I love reading, but it takes something special to get me hooked. Twilight I had a strange experience with. My niece tried to get me into the books but lost me at the "they glitter?" part.

So then the movie came, and they wanted to watch it. I didn't, to be honest- but my nephew (her younger brother) wanted to watch it. (So he said. This isn't exactly something I expect an eight-year-old boy to want to watch.) So I went. And I actually liked it.

I bought the book the next day, and finished reading all four between the movie release and the end of December.
olpatlanta
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by olpatlanta »

I used to collect stickers and had a sticker book.
I think it is still at my Mom's house with a bunch of stuff from my childhood.
I loved the book fair. I worked in the library in elementary school and always got to check it out earlier that everyone else. I was the librarian's pet.

Una- It was my own fault I got spoiled. I shouldn't have stuck my head in there yet. I knew you guys were going to start talking about books I hadn't read yet. I just couldn't resist. When I used to watched Buffy I was always reading spoilers. I am so impatient.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

olpatlanta...I understand the need to sneak peeks in :) I was that way when I was readinf BDB!! :)
I kept saying I wasn't going to go back to the thread and read anymore till I finished Phury's book, and yet every day I'd catch myself sneaking in there...LOL

Thank you Naureen!!
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

Good Evening Gutterites! I saw the last 2 QOTD and wanted to weigh in...hope that is ok, since I have been remiss as of late :?

Spooky, I loved your question Question of the day: Do you have a favorite minor character in Twilight and why? Mine as always been Charlie. I love his dry wit and awkwardness, it just makes me laugh.

For the recent QOTD, what sparked my love of reading was a book of children's poetry by Shel Silverstein "Where the Sidewalk Ends." I read it to my kids now and it will always have a special place in my heart.
CG I loved Ramona too :) My favorite from that period of time was Harriet the Spy.
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Welcome ringswraith. Nice to have another twilight guy around and of course you can answer the question.

My favorite minor characters are Esme and Seth. I love that they are so open and loving and accepting. I can't imagine all the pain and trauma that Esme went through, but it has made her a very compassionate vampire. And, I love that Edward describes Seth as having such a pure mind. He is just kind to everyone and I love that he can be that way at such a young age.

I didn't read books for fun until I was out of college. I had read books that I liked, but they were always assigned. I read Little Women in my early 20's and loved it and thought, I should read more. I would read occasionally, but still not regularly. I joined a book club in my early 30's and enjoyed it, but it was still sort of assigned. The year before I found Twilight I started reading the Harry Potter series. I read all that were out at the time and then found other books to read when I was done. It was during that time of "looking for another book to read" that I discovered Twilight and I have pretty much not been without a book since. So Little Women, Harry Potter, and then Twilight. Great books.
by Laniyeah on photobucket