Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Trails

Post by twilightapple »

1- What is it about Edward and Jake that makes their answer to Bella’s request that they stay behind and not fight different? Would Jake’s answer be different if Edward were not in the picture?

How much their families raised them makes the difference. Jacob's pack had basically taught their members to fight to matter what. If they are in love with a woman who isn't a werewolf, she is expected to wait until they come back... like Emily and Sam. Therefore Jacob felt obligated to go fight, so it wouldn't matter if Edward was in the picture or not. Fighting is almost like a second nature to everyone in the pack. Edward's family, on the other hand, are a lot more understanding with this issue. His family would not comdemn him either way. In fact, they believe that you should fight only when it is absolutely nessary. Therefore, to Edward he had more choice in the sense that if he didn't join in on the fight, he family would not view him as a traitor.

2- Is there something more to why Jake doesn’t step into the role of Alpha Male? Will he decide to become chief later on?

Yes, I think that he was counting on Bella choosing him over Edward and he wanted to have the opportunity to spent more time with her than his pack. If he had nothing to loose, I think he would become chief at some point.

3- Why is the wedding so important to Alice? Is her motivation truly for Bella’s (eventual) happiness or is she being selfish in wanting to coordinate a big event?

Alice knows that she missed out on a lot of human events in her life, so anything a big occasion (or just a fun event) rolls around, she can't help but want to have as much of it as she can. I think it's also because Alice is the type of person who likes to have fun. It gives her an opportunity to take a break from the constant chaos in the Cullen family. (By chaos I mean there is always some war that they have to prepare for, or some future to watch. In a way, Alice is the one who is under the most pressure because she is expected to be perfect with her visions). As for Bella's happiness, honestly no I don't think that is really her motivation. Alice can add spunk to the event, but Bella is a hard person to make happy. She always has something that occupies her mind.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1- What is it about Edward and Jake that makes their answer to Bella’s request that they stay behind and not fight different? Would Jake’s answer be different if Edward were not in the picture?
-Jake would've gone and fought even if Edward wasn't in the picture. The pack has been taught that to go out a fight is first priority and not to mention they acutally like fighting. Edward would've done whatever he thought was right, no matter what anyone else thought, once his mind is made up, he doesn't usually change it.

2- Is there something more to why Jake doesn’t step into the role of Alpha Male? Will he decide to become chief later on?
-Well, I've read Breaking Dawn...so, hahah I guess I already know what happens. But I think Jake just didn't want to to have the responsiblity of being the Alpha Male, and he really didn't want to step on anyones toes by taking Sam's place.

3- Why is the wedding so important to Alice? Is her motivation truly for Bella’s (eventual) happiness or is she being selfish in wanting to coordinate a big event?
-Alice is Alice, she can't turn down the idea of planning a huge party, haha. Althought probably some of her intentions are to make Bella happy in the long run.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

-Jake would have fought. The werewolf pack works differently than the vampire coven. Jake would have to obey if Sam ordered him to fight.

-I think Bella was one of the reasons. Jake resented being a werewolf and it seemed like he initially hated that it forced him to break things off with Bella and made him somewhat non-human. I think Jake's main argument for why he should be with Bella was that he was human and Edward wasn't, and being a werewolf made his argument less convincing. If Bella didn't exist, he might have been OK with becoming a vampire and decided to take on the role of Alpha.

-I love Alice, but I think the wedding planning was selfish and for Edward's sake, not Bella's. Bella hates having attention on her and is uncomfortable with the Cullens spending money on her, but Alice likes throwing parties so Alice insisted on a birthday party, a graduation party and a big wedding. Edward truly wanted a big, romantic wedding so Alice was helping him as well as doing what she loved. But I think Bella would have been perfectly happy eloping in Vegas. Even if she were marrying a human, Bella is not the type of girl who would want a big, fancy wedding.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

Matureness I think. I really don't think Jake would answer differently if Edward weren't in the picture, but I could be wrong.

I personally don't believe there is anything else keeping him from being the Alpha. He might decide way later to take over his rule but who knows.

The wedding is important to Alice because she is Bella's best friend and soon to be family. She is also very fond of Bella having human experiences. I think her motivations are a little bit of both. It's obviously an important event.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

hi just testing my sig sorry.
ImageImageImage
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

Jacob is more of a risk-taker, and he lives his life bravely and with pride. Therefore he treats Bella like she can stand on her own two feet, and he does the same. I think he also feels a twinge of that "see how it feels to miss me and almost lose me" attitude. He wouldn't ever be reckless with himself - but he wants Bella to feel what it's like - anything to spark reciprocation on her part. Edward loves Bella in a way that makes him feel like giving her whatever she wants - whatever will make her happy. He's still thinking that he's not good enough for her, and he is trying to make up for that constantly. He also feels guilt over leaving her the first time, and the effects it had on her. He has seen firsthand through Jacob's thoughts what it does to Bella to lose him, unlike Jacob, and he doesn't want to cause that pain for her again.

I think his reason was very genuine. He doesn't want the others to depend on him for that kind of leadership, and he doesn't want to be tied down to the pack for the rest of his life. I think he is still hoping to lead a human life with Bella, without being tied to anything else. He doesn't want the glory, and despite the positives, he wants to go back to the way things were before he changed. When things were easier. Being the alpha would make that harder.

Alice can't remember her human life, so she likes to live vicariously through Bella for occasions like this. She could have her own wedding, her own prom, but she wouldn't be able to experience it the way she did when she was human. I think she truly believes that Bella will be happy with the result, and wants a big wedding deep down, but she is also doing it for herself and for Edward. Alice can be a little selfish when she wants something.

Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1- What is it about Edward and Jake that makes their answer to Bella’s request that they stay behind and not fight different? Would Jake’s answer be different if Edward were not in the picture? For me Edward loves Bella so much & knows how much his leaving before hurt her he doesn't want her going through any pain or agony while he is gone. He wants to make sure that Bella is happy (or happy as she can be while her life is in danger) and will do whatever it takes to make sure that Bella is okay. Also he doesn't want Bella wondering around the forest or clearing trying to help when she would only be causing trouble. I don't know if Jacob's answer would be different.

2- Is there something more to why Jake doesn’t step into the role of Alpha Male? Will he decide to become chief later on? I have no idea. I have never yet to fully understand Jacob.

3- Why is the wedding so important to Alice? Is her motivation truly for Bella’s (eventual) happiness or is she being selfish in wanting to coordinate a big event? I really can't see Alice wanting to plan the wedding based on purely selfish reasons. Alice is not that kind of person. I think it really is for Bella that she'll be happy about it later on & also partly for Edward.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Jacob would still fight I think. He thinks it would be fun, and if Sam told him to fight then he would have to. Edward is thinking of Bella, he would want to stay with her if it makes her happy.

No idea, doesn't want the responsibility?

She knows that Bella wouldn't want a lovely, exuberant wedding like she deserves, and the only way she would get it is if Alice does it. And I think Alice would definately want to do it anyway.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Hmm... well, first off I would say that Jacob never left Bella, so he is not as aware of how much he can hurt Bella as Edward is. Also, the respective reactions seem more true to their personalities. I don't think Jacob's reaction would have been any different, it wouldn't be a true reaction if it was. If he did, he would be a total brat about it.

Jacob seems to hate the fact he is a werewolf, and doesn't want to have others relying on him. If everything that happened in Breaking Dawn DIDN'T happen... no, I don't think he would've decided to become an alpha, unless he had no other choice (eg Sam stops phasing).

I think it's a little of both. I think Alice loves the idea of planning her brother's (and Bella's) wedding, but I also think she knows how happy it will make Edward and therefore Bella.

Image Image Image
Bella&Edward_forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Bella&Edward_forever »

3. Because she is Alice, she wants Bella and Edward to be happy! She is such a lovely character, I really love her. <3
Alice is Bella's best friend, she loves her and she wants to give Bella one of the most important events/remembers ever.
And she wants Edward to be happy too, because -even when he don't say it- he prefers to marry Bella in the traditional way.

This isn't about the fact Alice likes organizing parties. This is about she wants Bella and Edward just to be happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have one other question, I don't understand the diamonds part.
(beneath page 467)

Can someone explain it to me? I really don't understand. =P