Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rachelcullen86
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 27 ~ Needs

Post by rachelcullen86 »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?
I think she is weeping from being overwhelmed & I think Edward knows, but doesn't understand this as he never had time to prepare

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?
I think it is a combination of the two, Edward wants to do right by Bella

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?
I think that Bella wants to make sure she does this right, she doesn't want to deny the most important people in her life of anything...her dad of walking her down the aisle...E of getting married... Alice of planning a wedding...she wants her last human memories to be perfect

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella?
It would be a combination of the two, they are both so stubborn and headstrong, they are always pulling each other to the opposite extremes

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?
I was worried that Bella had made the right choice but for the wrong reasons and that everything would fall apart in the next book
"You smell just exactly the same as always. So maybe this is hell. I don’t care. I’ll take it." Edward Cullen - New Moon
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

I just gotta say, the line "I love you. I want you. Right now." gives me butterflies.

Oh goodness.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ForksBound
Settled in Forks

Post by ForksBound »

CrazilyObsessed024 wrote:I just gotta say, the line "I love you. I want you. Right now." gives me butterflies.

Oh goodness.

Me too... ;)
Poohbear29
Settled in Forks

Post by Poohbear29 »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning?

I think Bella was crying over Jake. I think Bella is really selfish, she doesn’t care that she is hurting Edward. Of course he knows she is crying over Jake. That’s why he asks her is she sure she made the right choice. Jake said he loved her more, but he doesn’t. Edward is willing to give her up, because he loves her so much. If Bella wanted to be with Jake that was her opportunity to go, if she really loved Edward she wouldn’t be crying. I know Jake was hurt, but to cry in front of Edward all night. I just think Edward loves her more then she loves him.

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?

Edward was trying to make Bella happy; he was feeling insecure about Bella’s love for him. She told him she chooses him and she wants to be with him, yet she cries all night over another guy.

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of?

Bella wasn’t thinking about Edward’s feelings, she was just thinking about herself. I do understand that she wanted her father and mother to be able to spend that time with her. I have read the whole series for a second time, and the more I read the more I don’t like Bella. Sorry, but I just think Edward deserves better, I know he wants her. I don’t like Jacob, but I think he’s better off without her, and I don’t like him.

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella?

I think they should wait.

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?

I felt bad for Edward, not Bella, but I read Breaking Dawn, so I knew what would happen.
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

I think it was a combination of things. She was giving up someone that she was in love with even though it wasn't as strong as the love she had for Edward; it was hard for her to do it. Plus she hates hurting Jacob. Like she has always said, when Jacob hurts, she hurts and this time it was her that did the hurting. I think that the vision she saw when kissing Jacob might have been part of the grieving as well to a point. She knew what could have been if she wasn't in love with Edward. It would have killed me to give something like that up. I don't think Edward understood everything she was mourning over, but he knew some of it which is why he asked her if she wasn't sure she was making a mistake. The adjustments I think that Bella made was just that she needed to try to move on so she changed her focus. She just decided that she didn't want to hurt Edward anymore either and moving on was just something she needed to do and not look back. Though that part I don't think she accomplished.

I think he may believe he is hurting her and that she is only doing it to please everyone else except herself. I mean would you really want to marry someone who didn't want to be married? He knew she loved him, he just wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do since she seemed to worry about everyone else but herself. Does that make sense? Not sure what the night before has to do with it other than he saw how much it hurt her to give up Jacob. Maybe he wanted to give her more time to see if it was what she really wanted. I think he was finally understanding her emotions better. Though I can understand why he wanted to be married to her to.

I think she loved him enough to give him what he wanted. She might think she keeps making all the wrong decisions which are always leading to all this pain, so she thinks like Edward thinks. Since nothing she thought of seemed right; maybe she wants to do things his way and maybe they would turn things around. She does love everyone so of course she would want to make sure she leaves nobody out if things are going to change so drastically. She thinks there are ways to get around things she doesn't like, such as keeping Charlie in her life and stuff like that. But in case she can't she wanted that goodbye so that he (Charlie) would be able to accept that she has moved on and she is happy.

I agree with Edward on the marriage thing. Especially because of the sex thing but also because I think maybe - even though he love her and does want to marry her - he might think she will stall and have time to think things through the right way.

Since I bought all 4 books together before I even read any of the, I ended up liking the ending because it seemed sweet to me and I didn't have to wait to see what would happen next. I read all the books back to back and in 5 days. They were even better the second time around cause I took more time to read them so I didn't miss anything.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. What is Bella weeping for during that long night of mourning? Is Jake at the forefront of her mind or is she grieving for the humanity she is giving up? Do you think Edward knows what she is mourning over? What are the “adjustments” Bella has made which allow her to move on in the morning? I think Bella is just being her martyr self and crying because she knows that she's hurt Jacob and is afraid that he won't be happy.

2. Why does Edward suddenly change his mind in the meadow? Is his about-face a response to what Bella has been saying about their wedding plans? What does it have to do with Bella’s grief the night before? Is his reaction disproportionate?I've never been to sure about this one. I've always kind of wondered about why he changed his mind & was willing right there to go all the way w/Bella.

3. Why does Bella insist on waiting and doing everything as they planned? Does she feel differently about marrying Edward now? Or is she just determined to do things correctly? Which considerations do you think weigh most heavily on her: eg. saying her goodbyes, giving Edward the wedding he dreams of, having a care for his soul, committing herself publicly to him before becoming a vampire....or any others you can think of? I think part of her wants a wedding for herself & for Edward & for her family. I think she realizes that yes she wants to be w/Edward forever & wants everyone to know that is her choice.

4. Who do you think is actually right about what would be best for them here, Edward or Bella? Well in the this chapter I agree w/Bella they should wait & have the wedding.

5. The last chapter of Eclipse doesn’t leave us with the upbeat feeling you might expect when a book ends with its hero and heroine planning their wedding. Does the faintly elegiac note on which it closes make sense? Did it bother you? Did it make you worry whether Bella had made the right choice?I never doubted or had fears that Bella made the right decision. She knew she wanted to marry Edward and be with him forever.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I think she's grieving for the life that she's giving up - the one that she saw flash before her eyes when she kissed Jacob. The life she probably would have had if she'd never met Edward - a life free of worries about the Volturi, killing innocent humans, and saying goodbye to her parents forever. A happy existence full of love, with nothing at all wrong with it. She's grieving for what might have been, even though she knows what she wants.

I think Edward has a good idea what she's grieving over, yes. But he's probably more focused on the Jacob part - because Bella has always been way more willing than him to give up all the other parts of being human, and less willing to give up on Jacob. And she wouldn't want to tell Edward anything about that - because she doesn't want to give him any reason to regret their agreement to change her.

Bella's adjustment was deciding not to keep hanging on to Jacob as boyfriend #2. She decided to fully commit to her decision to be with Edward, instead of continuing to kid herself into believing that it could all work out and she could have both.

He changes his mind because he can't bear for her to sacrifice one more thing for the happiness of others. I think it has a lot to do with the night before - he realized that she was not just crying, but grieving. I don't think his reaction is disproportionate. Edward is just passionate, and he has never fully believed that he deserves to be with Bella. He's usually the one who does anything to make her happy, and he doesn't believe that he deserves the same treatment.

I think Bella has fully committed to her decision to be with him, and she can truly realize what that means. I think they have both gotten to know each other better, and she has rearranged her priorities and grown up a bit. I think she truly wants to do it this way now - and make their committment into a celebration rather than something she has to get over with. I think she sees it differently, and she is being considerate of Edward as well - realizing all that he's done for her, and wanting to do the same for him.

Bella. For once she's being completely rational. ;)

The only thing that made me sad was thinking about poor Jacob. I think it's important that the book didn't make it seem like becoming a vampire and getting married wasn't an easy decision, or something that just solves everything, so I liked the ending. I didn't like the idea of Bella going into marriage unwillingly, or the idea of them changing her before her and Edward really knew each other. I feel like they communicated better here, and that was important. She had to grow up and realize the exact ramifications of her choice, and Edward had to know everything she was thinking about that choice. They had to be on the same page, and finally they were. Good and bad.

Image Image
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Bella is mourning her old relationship with Jacob, the potential relationship she could've had with Jacob, her humanity, her family, her old way of life. I think Jacob is representative of it all. If she chose Jacob, she could still have all that.

I do think Edward knew what she was mourning. In some ways, Edward knows what Bella is giving up better than she does.

In Twilight, Bella said making the decision was always the hardest part for her. Once she'd made up her mind, it was almost a relief. Yes, since he's been back we've known she was going to be with Edward but in some ways I think this was Bella truly making & accepting the decision.

I don't think Edward's change of mind had anything to do with Bella's talk about wedding plans. He saw how much it hurt Bella to finally come to a decision, and how much she will continue to hurt until it's all settled, so to speak. I think it has everything to do with Bella's grief the night before.

Bella is nothing if not unselfish. She doesn't necessarily feel different about marriage (I won't say about marrying Edward... because I think deep down she always wanted to marry Edward), but she's come to realize how important it is to her for her family to understand her choice. Another part of her really wants to give Edward what makes him happy. I think that her family's concerns weighs most heavily on her.

Um... Bella of course :)

The melancholy note on which it ends is completely appropriate for the battle they've just fought, the choice Bella has just made, and the uncertainty of their future. I kind of like uncomfortable endings, so it didn't bother me. I didn't worry about whether Bella made the right choice or not, but I worried about her ability to live with it.

Image Image Image
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think that she is mourning over the whole other life that she is giving up, Jacob included. She has seen what could have been, and she wanted it, but not enough. She has chosen Edward and a life with him, but she needed that night to say goodbye to her other option. She was also crying because she had hurt Jacob so badly by keeping him so close to her and then letting him down. And she is crying for the amount of pain that this has inflicted upon Edward. I think Edward had a pretty good idea about what she was mourning over. I think that when he asked her if she was sure, he wasn't just asking if she was sure about Jacob. He was asking if she was sure about the entire choice that she had made.
I think that during this night, she deciced to let Jacob go. That she would give herself completely to Edward, and never hurt him ever again. She would never cry for Jacob again. And that she would focus completely on her life with Edward.
I just have to say...I do not think it was fair of her to keep Edward there during this night. Yes, she needed him, but he did not need to see her go completely to pieces like that over Jacob.

LEX ODYSSEY CLUE #2
Not yet in their thirties, no longer a teen
Not Gen A or Gen Z but somewhere in between....

I think it is the same reason that goes behind everything Edward does. It is all about making Bella happy. He does not want to force her into a wedding if she does not want it. And he wants her to make the choices that makes her happy, not everone else. I don't know how much it had to do with the night before. But I think it definitely got him thinking. He did not want her to hurt anymore. He wanted her to be nothing but happy.
And I also think that in that moment he wanted her as much as she wanted him..

She has had time to think about it. She is certain about her path now. And she wants to do things right. I think all the reasons were important to her, so it would be impossible to say which was most important. But I think it was very important to her to say her goodbyes and to give Edward a proper wedding. And although she wouldn't admit it, I think she really wanted to marry Edward. To be tied to him in every way before they made love and before she becomes a vampire.

I think Bella was right here. But this was actually Bella finally agreeing with what Edward had been saying for quite some time. But I almost thought she was going to cave in when he said: "I love you. I want you. Right now". That she was able to stop after wanting him for so long, really showed how much thought she had put into this.

No, I think it was an appropriate ending to Eclipse. I liked it. Bella had finally made her decision for the future, and she had agreed to tie herself to Edward. I was absolute sure of her choice, that she would stick to it and that it was the right choice for her. They were ready and they were going to tell Charlie, and she had his ring on her finger. Everything was just the way it was supposed to be.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

Hmm...I honestly hadn't really thought about anything but Jake. However, looking back at the rest of the book, I think she could have been upset about what she did to Jake and losing a life she could have. Bella really, truly is upset about hurting Jacob the way she did and that is a huge cause of her pain. But, now that she realizes what she is giving up to be with Edward I think she could be grieving for that too. I'm sure Edward is aware of what is really on Bella's mind. He knows her inside and out and he still wants her to have the option to live without him. Edward tells her that she hasn't done anything permanent yet, and she can still changer her mind which makes me believe he knows whats really going on in her mind. In the morning Bella has done all the crying she can, and she is thinking a little more clearly. Bella knows what she wants, and is aware of the price she will pay to get it so she decides there is no point in hurting everyone else in the process. She knows she loves Edward more than absolutely anything else in the world and she wont cause him pain by allowing him to see hers.

When Edward realizes Bella agrees to the wedding for everyone else but her, he sees that maybe he has pushed what he wants a little too much. He knows the one thing Bella wants more than anything is to "be with him". The danger is no different than it was all the other times Bella wanted to have sex, so I'm not really sure what made him change his mind on this particular subject. I can't imagine he would put aside his worries about killing her, just so they could be together. I guess maybe it does have something to do with the grief Bella felt the night before. Maybe he is trying to give her the one human experience she did not want to skip without forcing her into the marriage she was dreading, maybe that was his way of easing her grief of what she was giving up.

Bella thinks it will be easier if people know she is happy when she can't see them anymore. A wedding to the man she loves would be a good way to show that. Bella also knows that Edward isn't convined he has a soul and on the off chance he does, he does not want to risk it by giving up his virtue before marriage. Waiting to have sex with Edward would keep his virtue in tact. She wants to do things "the right way" to keep everyone happy. Hmm, I think her goodbyes weigh most heavily on her mind and then becoming a vampire, making Edward happy by marrying him at a wedding he wants, her new life as a married vampire, having sex with Edward and I'm sure many other things.

In this moment in the meadow I think Bella is right. It is important to her that everyone is happy. It is easier for her to know that her family and friends see her happy before she has to disappear, and a wedding would do that. She would also be able to give Edward everything he has ever dreamed of with a wedding so that helps her decision. I don't think she is thrilled at the idea of a big wedding, but she knows in the long run she'll be happy as well.

I think it does make sense, Bella has essentially agreed to give up her life to be with Edward. But, it didn't really bother me because I didn't honestly take it as a sorrowful ending. The way Bella makes telling Charlie sound like a death sentence was a little funny to me. I mean honestly, she is more worried about telling her father she is getting married than about becoming a vampire...whats with that? lol. And, I have to say i though it was really cute that Edward was carrying around her engagment ring waiting to be able to put it back on her finger. So, no I wasn't worried that Bella made the wrong choice.