General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Knives »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:I don't think humans ever actually killed a vampire- they just pretended they were dead, much like the witches and wizards in Harry Potter, who put a Flame Freezing spell on the fires attempting to burn them and instead enjoyed a pleasant tickling sensation whilst pretending to shriek in pain. :D
Directly contradicted by the Voulturii's own statements; see New Moon, I do beleive.
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

... If there are vampires there can so be Hogwarts! :lol: The Volturi can't stop me from believing!

Moving on, *goes to check New Moon*
"...Marcus of the Volturi, in fact. The story claims he was martyred in Romania, still trying to drive out the vampire scourge. That's nonsense of course- he's never left the city. But that's where the some of the supersitions about things like crosses and garlic come from. Father Marcus used them so succesfully. And vampires don't trouble Volterra, so they must work."
Carlisle never says if the mob got the true vampire they were hunting, so I can only assume he outran the humans, and therefore didn't die.

It seems that humans thought that they were killing vampires, so either the Volturi planned all the "vampire catchings" to spread the propaganda, or the normal vampires caught on, or the humans caught innocent people and thought this stuff worked. In the meanwhile while everyone was in Translyvania chasing Dracula, the Volturi were discreetly taking care of the real trouble makers.

I can't think of any other instances, but when I read New Moon again in the two hours I have to wait to see the movie (Ah, the joys of reserved seating. I don't have to stand in line with squeely Robert fans, thank Neptune.) I'll be looking for them. If you'd like to add any, you can, to prove your point.
Valrhona40
Settled in Forks

Post by Valrhona40 »

Not directly a science question, but related, still. You know that Bella was accepted at Dartmouth and was willing to attend it after she would be back from her honeymoon. As much as I am at peace with the Breaking Dawn ending, I just can't stop thinking about how interesting it would have been to see Bella going to college.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I don't think that has anything to do with science, unless Bella was perhaps considering majoring in Genetics or something.

I'd suggest another thread the question would be more appropriate for, but I can't think of any. Sorry.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Actually, may I direct you to the Fanfiction Discussion thread? I'm sure you can ask if someone's written a fic about that, and I'm just as certain that someone has. :)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I'm pretty sure there's a fanfic about everything we've written about here. I am even willing to bet there is a Ghost Hunters / Twilight crossover somewhere. I know there is one for Star Trek and Twilight, but it reads more like TwiCrack. :lol:
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

hahahaha probably. :D
iemand
Settled in Forks

Post by iemand »

It will probably have happened that a vampire died to human hands... like with the quilites, they know that vampires are vulnerable to fire.
I also have a question of my own, what would happen if a humen got a really small dose of vampire poison in theis system, would they change into a vampire really slowly (like in a year or two), or would their body fight off the 'infection'? also, would the pain said human is in be bearable with such a low amout of poison or would they be in agony for all this time?
topfrog007
Settled in Forks

Post by topfrog007 »

@iemand

Don't know if this helps or not, but in the HBO series True Blood, which is also about vampires, when a person gets a little bit of vampire blood in them it's like doing a drug. They get a "high" and their senses are more acute, they are stronger, and have better smell. So maybe the same thing would happen in the Twilight series?
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I believe this question is answered on the blog page (home page for Twilighted) in the personal correspondences with Stephenie. In them, she states that venom will always change a person, but it can do it slowly at first. Then, it builds on itself, as the new cells themselves create venom, until the person is completely a vampire and the heart stops. An infinitesimal amount of venom, like a cell or two of venom might take a long time, but the person would be in utter agony until the change was over.
By the way, this would be a terrific question to post over at Twilight Q and A in the Quench Your Thirst thread.