Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Post by December »

Well, to tie together our discussions of Bree's novella and the problem of film images contaminating our own images of the characters in books...how about this, newly posted on The Twilight Saga site:

Stephenie wrote:
Knowing that elements of Bree’s story were being incorporated into the movie, I hoped the story could somehow get out first. Personally, I always want to read a book before seeing the movie. I like to make my own mental pictures before someone else’s picture intrudes. Probably most of my readers don’t have the same hang up, but for those who do, I wanted to give them the chance to create their own mental pictures of Bree and the gang.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hello, Ladies! Yes...it's really me. I've been soooo busy and stressed during our last month or so of school that I've been barely functionable as a human being! But, I've just returned from a five-day stay at the beach and feel like a brand new woman! :) Now I'm in the process of catching up with all the threads that I've been neglecting.

As a fifth grade teacher and avid reader, it saddens me that this generation of kids - not all, but the majority - would rather watch the movie than read the book. I love to read the books first, then watch the movies. More often than not, I am disappointed with how the movie version turns out because of all the content that must be left out. However, I do look at the movie versions as separate entities. HP, Twilight, ... it's just impossible to get as real with the movie versions as you do with the books. Actually, the only series that I didn't read the books first on was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was just so thrilled with the movies that I didn't read the books. I tried...just could never get into them. Then, there's Nicolas Sparks...I haven't read even one of his books, but I've seen every movie version. Hmmm...does that make me a hypocrite when I try to tell my students to read the books first? I hope not. :)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Welcome back MissP!!
I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. We have missed you, but you needed the break.
I found myself in a similar position this May. School just ended for me, and I feel like a lead weight has been lifted off of me. I would say I feel like a free woman, but the dust bunnies are way too organized and well armed, and I am going to need to go on the offensive with my house before we are overrun. At least I don't have to get up at 5 am for a few weeks. :D
missp
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Thanks, Openhome! Oh, rest assured. I have an attack on the dust bunnies and clutter bugs planned for next week as well. I just thought I'd give myself a full week of being lazy - except for the regular trips to the gym - before I started.
GG's~~Happy Saturday, to Ya'll! I'm off to take a quick nap before showering for our movie night! We're going to see Sex and the City 2 tonight! :)
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

hey who has read the Bree story already?

I loved it, the big minor was that the story was too short, she could have written a thousand pages for my liking....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I'm reading Bree's story now! Can't wait to see what you all think about it! I like what SM said about wanting to give her readers a chance to form their own ideas about Bree before the movie. I appreciate the chance to read abotu the character before seeing someone depict her on screen! That kinda plays into what some of you were talking about...

I have to admit that I too see all of Nicholas Sparks's movies but do not read his books. There's a reason for me though! I am one of those people who really gets into books...no matter if they are thought provoking or not! :) Even my romance novels have the ability to suck me in so I really feel what the characters are feeling. Because Sparks's books are soooo emotionally up and down, I stopped reading them, I didn't like the way they made me feel...and I do not get that same response from movies (usually). They make me cry, sure, but they don't pull me in the way books do. I feel like I can withstand the emotional onslaught when it's on the screen better than when it's on the page! (Maybe I'm odd??) Also, I noticed from the few books of his that I did read and from what friends tell me, many of the movies end slightly differently than the books...some movies having happier endings!

Thank you Naureen!!
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

I've read Bree's novella - are we allowed to discuss it on here yet, or are we going to give a week or two for people to find the time to consume it?
In general terms: I liked it. I enjoyed it. There were some "Meyer writing tropes" that I noticed that irked me a little, but not enough to undermine my enjoyment of the book. Despite knowing how it would end for Bree, my heart was still heavy.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Thanks so much for being thoughtful about this, Lady Di! We're asking people to give it a week or so before posting spoilery info throughout on the boards -- there's a new Forum set up here for discussing the novella. In a couple of weeks, we'll relax the restrictions and let everyone talk about it everywhere.

I actually put up a global announcement about spoilers, but I have a feeling it wasn't very eye-catching. Any suggestions of a better way to let people know? For starters I'll go liven up the announcement title a little....

If you'd like any particular topics started over in the new Forum, just let me know. And if you do post something there, feel free to post a link to it here, so anyone who's ready to talk with you can follow you over there.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
missp

Post by missp »

I picked up by copy of the Bree Tanner novella yesterday. I have plans to start reading it this afternoon. I also picked up my copy of the Eclipse soundtrack...really loving it so far! :D
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

December wrote:Thanks so much for being thoughtful about this, Lady Di! We're asking people to give it a week or so before posting spoilery info throughout on the boards --
I actually put up a global announcement about spoilers, but I have a feeling it wasn't very eye-catching. Any suggestions of a better way to let people know? For starters I'll go liven up the announcement title a little.....
For some funny reason, your compliment made my day, December. Thanks!
As for your question about the global announcement ... I have to confess the reason I didn't see it was because I only frequent a few threads / forums here on the Lex now. (Life gets in the way!) I wouldn't recommend putting a notice in every single forum - that spamming would become really annoying if you visited many forums per day; however, if your user data (or your mod experience) tells you that certain forums are main places for certain subgroups to hang out, then I'd put a reminder in those forums about the novella.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!