What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Re: What are you reading?

Post by cullengirl »

Same here, bac. I knew what was coming, but still a few tears were shed.

I've finished "The Mailbox" by Audrey Shafer which was ok and really hard to get through. The pacing of the book was really slow, especially for a book that's under 200 pgs. I also finished the manga Emma Vol 7.

Not sure what I'll read next.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I'm now reading The Last Assassin, by Barry Eisler, the fifth book in the John Rain series, a series which I've written about previously in this thread.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Bewitched
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bewitched »

I'm reading the Van Alen Legacy, a Blue Bloods novel by Melissa De La Cruz.

Lost a book and found it again finally, so I'm also finishing up Over the Edge by Norah McClintock
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

una wrote:Please do Samajama. I have to admit, I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it is one of my favorite books.

I need to see if my library is going to carry Clockwork Angel. I hope so!
For you, una, my dear! (And I really hope your library has CA because it's awesome-tacular!)
I'm past page 100, so I think I can give you a feel for what this is about now.
First, a bit a background info for those who don't know about MI. Cassandra Clare is the author of the Mortal Instruments series (City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass-- there are going to be three more, the next is City of Fallen Angels if I'm not mistaken). They're about people with special abilities, called Shadowhunters or children of the Nephilim, who fight and kill demons before they attack humans, or mundanes, as the Shadowhunters call them. There are also Downworlders in this world of magic and shadows: vampires/Night Children, werewolves/lycanthropes (both diseased mundanes/Nephilim), warlocks (they're children of something too, but I'm blanking.. ETA: Lilith's Children), and faeries/Fair Folk (half-angel and half-demon). Anyway, Clare wrote MI mainly about Clary Fray and Jace Wayland, a mundane with a past she doesn't even know about and seventeen-year-old, arrogant, but unbelievably sexy Shadowhunter and their journey to find out about their pasts.
Soooooooooo, back to Clockwork Angel-- This is a prequel to MI that's a part of a new series by Clare called the Infernal Devices (which I'm just starting to understand the meaning of as I type this, lol). CA takes place in London, 1878. It is the story of Miss Theresa Gray, or Tessa. She travels to London to meet with her brother Nathaniel Gray (Nate), but quickly realizes she may have been tricked by two women whom she calls the Dark Sisters. Soon after, she meets a group of Shadowhunters including: William Herondale (Will), James Carstairs (Jem), Charlotte and Henry Branwell, and Jessamine (I don't know her last name..?). Will (like Jace) has that whole I'm-an-arrogant-jerk-but-really-cool-and-sexy thing going on for him while Jem is more reserved and kind, yet equally attractive. (Why I feel the need to reassure you all of their attractiveness, I do not know. :lol:) Charlotte and Henry are the definition of opposites attract, but they're both kind and helpful to Tessa. Jessamine basically rejects her Shadowhunter heritage and want's to get the heck of out the London Institute. Which brings me to Tessa: She's a Downworlder and didn't even know it. She is a shape-changer, meaning once she touches something of someone else's she can Change her body into looking like them. As for what type of Downworlder, no one is certain-- my guess is that she's a warlock, but my suspicions have neither been confirmed nor denied. Tessa is working with the Shadowhunters to find her brother Nate, who has gone missing in all the madness.

I strongly recommend this novel along with Clare's previous books. They're fantasy/fiction YA books, if that wasn't already obvious, and they're very, very good.
-Sam
Last edited by samajama on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Keynes, by Peter Clarke. This is a good short biography of John Maynard Keynes, the most important economist of the 20th century. While it's not a match for the depth or comprehensiveness of Robert Skidelsky's 3-volume biography, Clarke's book is a good introduction to its subject.

2) The Third Victim, by Lisa Gardner. Gardner is another author I'm trying for the first time; this book is centered on Rainie Conner, a cop in a tiny Oregon town who finds herself at the center of a nightmare investigation when a multiple homicide takes place at a local school. Gardner seems to be somewhere in Karin Slaughter's neighborhood as a writer (and Slaughter is one of my favorites), both in her ability to tell a compelling story and in her ability to put her characters through nine kinds of hell.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

No Mercy!!! Newest in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series!

Thank you Naureen!!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

^I just got my copy from the library, Fan!

I got a 100 pgs or so left in Charolette and Emily by Jude Morgan. It's a historical ficiton book about the Bronte sisters. Really interesting, but kinda slow. Hope to finish it tonight.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I just finished No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon!! Loved it.

I'm about to start Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters. It's the second one in the series, and I'm enjoying them a lot.
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

'twahy-lahyt' wrote:I just finished No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon!! Loved it.

I'm about to start Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters. It's the second one in the series, and I'm enjoying them a lot.
I'm jealous that you finished No Mercy!! Working my way through it now :)

I loved the Percy Jackson series...I eneded up making my 6th graders read it in class! They loved it so much, they blew through all the books and are now anxiously awaiting The Lost Hero

Thank you Naureen!!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I know I said I was reading Kitty Goes to War but my library got in Burning Up an anthology containing a Psy-Changling story by Nalini Singh, a Children of the Sea story by Virginia Kantra, a unique story by Angela Knight and a new "teaser" story by Meljean Brook for her new steampunk series. My goodness, the book was SOOOO good. Oddly, I loved all four stories and I am really eager to read this new series by Ms. Brook.

Now I am going to read another anthology I have from the library called Dark and Stormy Knights, a few of the authors are: Ilona Andrews, Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn and more...

Since I'm borrowing Kitty from a friend, the library books comes first and I have waiting to be picked up: Mockingjay, The Dark-Hunters Volume 2 (manga) and Linger!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!